PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still haven't gotten my official rejection (mail or website posting) from Michigan.....called a while back to find out, so I know I'm rejected, but....nothing official still.

in the same boat.

I'm inclined to agree, but there was someone who posted late last week on the results board that they contacted the departmnet and were told they were rejected.[/quote

I've been thinking of myself as rejected from UNC for the past few weeks...but, I'm a barrel of sunshine. ;-)

I've been thinking of myself as rejected from UNC for the past few weeks...but, I'm a barrel of sunshine. ;-)

I had been, too, up until yesterday when I contacted the department and wasn't told straight out that I was rejected (like whoever it was that contacted the department last week and WAS told they were rejected). In all honesty, it would make for a much simpler choice if I was, in fact, rejected and, therefore, I was somewhat hoping to be told that definitively yesterday. I'm tired of ambiguity, darn it!

Anyone waiting for Toronto? I saw several acceptances and then I checked my online status. It is still Under Review.

Do they notify admits before they change online status? Any idea?

Toronto sent out a batch of PhD acceptances last week around Monday. M.A are supposed to go out in early April.

I am but at this point am expecting the rejection anytime now.

Did anyone get funding info from Georgia?

I'm still in funding limbo at UGA, I know one poster here (Aria) said she was turning down UGA's acceptance, and I think she(?) was offered funding....

Well, here's to another week of silence from Georgetown. Anyone else still waiting to hear? I'm thinking I'm going to have to suck it up and just call them about it.

Wow, the traffic has slowed down here big time.

I live in Florida, but Thursday-Sunday I went to Boston and Washington to get a feel for some schools. It turns out that I got rejected from everywhere I applied in Boston (so far), so that was more of a vacation. But I had never been to DC as an adult and I spent some time on the American and Georgetown campuses. I didn't go to GW because I am pretty sure they rejected me.

Anyway, being in DC and on the Georgetown campus helped confirm that this is where I want to be. It sucks that they didn't offer me funding, but I am going to start talking to the school about need-based aid, as well as think about possible part-time job opportunities. I am going to G'town 4/3 for the department's preview day, and I hope it works out for me to study there beginning in the fall.

I still haven't heard officially from BU or GW, and I haven't heard anything from American or Northeastern. I'm still waitlisted for funding at UF.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far. Good luck.

You're going to do an unfunded PhD at Georgetown?

Not sure. I wasn't offered a fellowship and was told it was unlikely, but was also told by my prospective advisor that most students s/he works with who come in unfunded end up getting funding during the course of their careers. This is just an observation, s/he says, not a promise.

I just really want to go there. It's by far the best match in terms of specific interests.

I haven't decided for sure. But I really hope it works out.

Do you have a tuition waiver? There is no reason to even consider getting a PhD without funding if they don't give you a full tuition waiver.

You can't take on that much debt unless you're going to law or medical school.

Ivyreject has heard all the arguments about doing unfunded PhDs at this point. If he chooses to go to Georgetown without funding up-front, then everyone needs to respect that and wish him well instead of continuing to question the decision.

So, Ivyreject, good luck at Georgetown. I hope that funding opportunities come along as you progress through the program. And enjoy DC! I lived there for six years and had a blast!