PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No word from UVA here either. My account activity still says "pending." Like many of you, I am an IR/Security person as well. Since I'm new, here are my stats:

3.3 undergrad in a different field from an "up-and-coming" SLAC

3.95 in terminal MA poli sci program at a known regional university

GRE: 660Q 720V 5.0 Writing

1 publication in student journal

3 regional conference presentations

2 small research grants

5 yrs work exp in a relevant and interesting career that has come to inform my research interests, some instructor experience

Presumably strong rec letters, though not from big names

After seeing other people's stats, I hope I wasn't immediately weeded out because of my undergrad GPA and Quant score. Hopefully the admissions committees will realize that I've since redeemed myself for the undergrad GPA and that my quantitative score is satisfactory since I am not planning to go in a heavily quantitative direction of research. This waiting game is absolutely dreadful! Best of luck to everyone!

No word from UVA here either. My account activity still says "pending." Like many of you, I am an IR/Security person as well. Since I'm new, here are my stats:

3.3 undergrad in a different field from an "up-and-coming" SLAC

3.95 in terminal MA poli sci program at a known regional university

GRE: 660Q 720V 5.0 Writing

1 publication in student journal

3 regional conference presentations

2 small research grants

5 yrs work exp in a relevant and interesting career that has come to inform my research interests, some instructor experience

Presumably strong rec letters, though not from big names

After seeing other people's stats, I hope I wasn't immediately weeded out because of my undergrad GPA and Quant score. Hopefully the admissions committees will realize that I've since redeemed myself for the undergrad GPA and that my quantitative score is satisfactory since I am not planning to go in a heavily quantitative direction of research. This waiting game is absolutely dreadful! Best of luck to everyone!

For what it's worth, I flunked out of undergrad the first time and dropped out a second time (smart enough to withdraw from my classes!) before graduating at a little-known and opposite-of-prestigious directional state school. Showing that you're a "known commodity" given your graduate work should be helpful in terms of washing the past away.

Am I wrong to question the veracity of the posted UVA admit result given that no one else has heard from UVA??

I question it myself. I assume anyone posting on the results page would also post here. Plus $15K sounds a bit low compared to some other schools, though it is public.

I question it myself. I assume anyone posting on the results page would also post here. Plus $15K sounds a bit low compared to some other schools, though it is public.

From what I understand, UVA's not the most generous school when it comes to stipends, though I've been misinformed before. (I'm also questioning the posted admit a bit.)

Am I wrong to question the veracity of the posted UVA admit result given that no one else has heard from UVA??

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's an erroneous post. On the other hand, it might be possible that a member of the department's admissions committee personally emailed someone before the official notifications had been sent from the grad school (or something like that). It's hard to say though, because I have no clue how the process actually works at UVA...

I didn't hear from UVA either. I didn't apply, but it's still evidence against the truthiness of the poster that said he/she got in. *shakes an angry fist* Knave! Scoundrel!

I'm picking up on a little sarcasm here, but I do think it's strange that no one else on this board that applied to UVA (and there are A LOT of us) has heard anything from UVA.......

I'm picking up on a little sarcasm here, but I do think it's strange that no one else on this board that applied to UVA (and there are A LOT of us) has heard anything from UVA.......

Lol, yeah, just a tad of sarcasm. My brain is fried as I continue to put my MLE homework into delightfully beautiful TeX. I will agree that it's strange, indeed.

Now, back to my log-likelihoods and Hessian. Oooooooh yeah, it's gonna be an awesome night in coachrjc-land.

hey everyone, I don't know if this will help or further stress y'all out, but last year I received e-mail acceptance to UCLA before my online status was updated; it was a few days later that I finally could see the letter online. I'm not sure if the same is true for my peers, though, so take this as just one N in the sample!

(if it's any consolation, the decision process is at times more stressful than the waiting process.)

To clarify, are you saying that you just got an email saying your decision was online and then couldn't see what it was? Or they told you the decision, but you just couldn't see it on the site at that time?

Either way, I think we'll know what the decision is if we hear back before anyone else.