PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

My Notre Dame applyyourself page says 'application submitted'. Did somebody say they've started to update the pages?

On the other hand, DHL took 13 friggin' days to deliver my transcripts to Texas A&M. 13 DAYS! I had already missed their deadline as I got my transcripts in the first week of January and the grad school told me to send them by first week. I have completely lost hope on TAMU for this snafu. And the worst thing is, they still haven't updated my application page. It says they haven't received my transcripts yet.

Maybe I should call them?

Of course, I could always say 'who wants to live in College Station?' :mrgreen:

again, similar situation here. my 3rd LOR writer totally dropped the ball. never sent it. went MIA over winter break. didn't find another prof to write one until jan 10th, 20 days past the deadline. just yesterday, the guy who dropped the ball emailed me and apolgized, after me sending him 100 emails and 100 phone calls over break. anyway, I got in last friday, so don't worry, stuff happens.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, similar situation here. my 3rd LOR writer totally dropped the ball. never sent it. went MIA over winter break. didn't find another prof to write one until jan 10th, 20 days past the deadline. just yesterday, the guy who dropped the ball emailed me and apolgized, after me sending him 100 emails and 100 phone calls over break. anyway, I got in last friday, so don't worry, stuff happens.

Phew. You give me hope. And congratulations !! :)

So I guess the first wave of admits at TAMU are already over/going on. Have the first wave of rejections started arriving yet? Any news on that?

Hi all--

So I'm a newbie to this thread, but I wondered if ya'll had any insight into Washington University's (WUSTL) PhD program---specifically for an IR concentration?? What's the word on the street? I've heard great things about their faculty, their placements, and opportunities--so it is currently topping my list.

Thanks!

Is anyone else applying to UGA? The "Grad School Admissions Database" notes that my page was last updated today, but with no decision posted or any other changes.

I also applied to UGA (albeit for the MA) and mine is the same. Was 'updated' yesterday by 'CLB' although no information has been added of changed. It's happened a couple of times and I always get really excited each time! I thought I might have heard something by now as the polsci website suggests they meet every week in the spring to review completed apps and mine has been complete since December. Looking at past years it looks like they notify using post, so who knows ...

Washington University is damn strong. Just know that you'd be coming out with a brand name that is a little bit on the niche side -- then again, methodological places like WashU or NYU or Rochester are just as narrow in terms of brand name. The big question is: are you interested in a research job, liberal arts job or public policy? All three can be done at WashU but will require different focuses during your time.

Hope this helps. I wrote it before my morning coffee so I doubt it. Good luck!!

To the newbie asking about WUSTL:

WUSTL is certainly a top program. In fact, you might say they are one of the most under-rated programs for who they have and their record. I say this because the reputation lingers that if you go there you are equally as likely to do policy as you are to likely to get an academic placement. I have two comments to this - first, their placement is great. Their placement in R1s and Liberal Arts Colleges are about equal (check their placement record to see if it meets your criteria). Secondly, many of their students are offered 6 figure incomes after they complete their Ph.D. Most of these offers come in policy consulting. Thus, some of their students choose to go into policy, but it is a voluntary choice with good payoffs.

When it comes to faculty, I think they have a strong group. Just make sure they fit well with your research interests.

This week, I think we still have a reasonable expectation to hear from these schools:

Berkeley,

Yale,

Stanford

UNC

OSU

UVA

And perhaps this one:

Duke

Here's hoping for some great news for all of us today!

Congrats! May I ask: Has your online status changed at all?

Good question - should have thought of that first (coffee still kicking in). I'm still listed as "under academic review." My email was from the department directly...I'll keep you updated as to when my status changes. Good luck!

I am told that Claremont Graduate, where I applied, is quite stingy with funding. Maybe someone could elaborate how stingy they are?

When the admits from CGU are due anyway? From the results search I noticed 3 admits around late february in the previous years. Their deadline was Februaury 1. So maybe the admits go well into March?

I am told that Claremont Graduate, where I applied, is quite stingy with funding. Maybe someone could elaborate how stingy they are?

When the admits from CGU are due anyway? From the results search I noticed 3 admits around late february in the previous years. Their deadline was Februaury 1. So maybe the admits go well into March?

From what I understand they don't have TAships. It is mostly fellowships and RA positions that they offer. I know two people who were accepted to CGU. One, who happens to be one my PHD-cohorts, was offered one-semester tuition waiver. My other friend was offered a RA package, which was barely amount you could survive on. So the lesson is, even if you are offered funding of some sort it usually is not enough to cover the bare minimum expenses. Hope this helps but then again it is only two cases from a big sample who get admitted and enroll.