PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Decided not to post till I had an acceptance from somewhere. Got in to Virginia, like many others on the board. No letter or email yet, just got to know from the website.

Pretty happy too, since my subfield is political theory and Virginia is supposed to be one of the better departments in the US when it comes to such "navel-gazing" (as an earlier poster so endearingly called it.)

Am an international student too, so I hope they're generous with the funding. There is just no way I would be able to afford graduate education on my own. One down, seven more to go.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Decided not to post till I had an acceptance from somewhere. Got in to Virginia, like many others on the board. No letter or email yet, just got to know from the website.

Pretty happy too, since my subfield is political theory and Virginia is supposed to be one of the better departments in the US when it comes to such "navel-gazing" (as an earlier poster so endearingly called it.)

Am an international student too, so I hope they're generous with the funding. There is just no way I would be able to afford graduate education on my own. One down, seven more to go.

...and the theorists come out of the woodwork! What is your area of interest, driftwood? Where else did you apply? Congratulations on the admit!

Well, congrats to everyone who got into UVA. My account page still says "pending"...which I'm guessing at this point essentially means rejected. Probably wasn't one of the better fits for me, but getting off to bad start on admissions season still stings.

PollyTheory said:
...and the theorists come out of the woodwork! What is your area of interest, driftwood? Where else did you apply? Congratulations on the admit!

Thanks PollyTheory, I'm interested in the question of distributive justice, especially the work of John Rawls on the matter. While I was researching grad schools, you have no idea how hard it was for me to find people who do liberal political philosophy in an analytic style (and who are not in philosophy departments).

Apart from Virginia, I've applied to NYU, UC-Davis, Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Georgia.

Well, congrats to everyone who got into UVA. My account page still says "pending"...which I'm guessing at this point essentially means rejected. Probably wasn't one of the better fits for me, but getting off to bad start on admissions season still stings.

Seconded all around.

Oh, have any other UGA people heard anything/had their Admission Tracking Database page changed to reflect that a decision has been made?

gradcafe must have all the superstars -- when one looks at the total # of admits at some of these schools and then the # of folks who have stated their acceptance here -- gradcafe must have

all the stars -- I'm hoping this is in fact true and there isn't some nasty cabal lurking out there with 800/800, 4.0 ugpa, all of whom applied to the same schools as I....

I feel like I may be a bit out of my league here. I am coming to political science from another field (religious studies) and applied to my schools based more on where I want to live and who I want to study with. If US News is to be believed, I applied to two great department (MIT, WashU), three good ones (Georgetown, American, and Florida) and two decent ones (Boston University and Boston College). American Politics.

So, I congratulate those of you who are receiving good news, and I can see why admission to some of these programs is so competitive. I just wonder if there are any of you who applied to my schools as backups, or if there are any lurkers out there who applied to second-tier places.

PS How do you create that little subscript that lists your applications, acceptances, and rejections?

ivy

go to your "user control panel" at the top of the page -- edit your "signature" to include the appropo listings...then it will always be there...

On your post, I don't think you should feel as you do -- there are a great deal of very very qualified applicants here -- and if you had good reasons for applying where you did, then wait and see

what you get back before worrying too much now -- after you get back some packages, then you can sit back and think about possibly waiting a year or whatever.

We're all under alot of stress right now, and most of us feel inadequate at times -- just wait and see what happens...