PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

From PoliSciJobRumors:

The skepticism about Northwestern is unwarranted (unless my decision link disappears). I know of two other people who have been admitted (one personally, the other PM'd me from the Gradcafe). We are all theorists, so it may be that the Theory decisions have been made. I know a comparativist who does not have a decision yet.

uh oh fellow theorists who applied to NW...

If they're done why don't we have rejections? Toying with us is just cruel.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, the email was from Jasjeet Singh Sekhon, Associate Professor and Chair, Graduate Admissions Committee. I'm comparativist, Middle East.

Does it appear to be personalized or does it look like a form letter? Curious if they sent out a mass email to all admits and the rest of us can move Berkeley from "Waiting" to "Rejected" in our signature :wink:

Hi everybody,

I finally have something to post! woho! :D No great news unfortunately, only waitlisted at Cornell. Letter says they're targeting a class of 11, 350 applications received. The pain is prolonged until the end of March, when the situation might be "clearer"... I'm curious to know who the other accepted or waitlisted people at Cornell in CP are?

JV

Hi everybody,

I finally have something to post! woho! :D No great news unfortunately, only waitlisted at Cornell. Letter says they're targeting a class of 11, 350 applications received. The pain is prolonged until the end of March, when the situation might be "clearer"... I'm curious to know who the other accepted or waitlisted people at Cornell in CP are?

JV

Have they sent out all their notification emails/letters or are you one of the few to find out first? Just curious as to how Cornell operates here.

Where are the theorists applying, and have you heard from anywhere yet?

On another note, how are other theorists doing? Anyone else apply to Johns Hopkins?

No, haven't applied to Johns Hopkins. One acceptance from UVA so far. Was disappointed not to hear from NYU today. Would have gladly done all the formal theory and quant method courses in the world to be a part of that department. They've also got Nagel in Philosophy, Dworkin and Waldron in the law school. I was even looking at their website yesterday for housing options! Serves me right for getting ahead of myself.

Well, you and I can commiserate . . . 0 for 2 (UCSD, Berkeley) so far and expecting the worst! What does it take to get into PhD programs these days, anyway? Let's hope this curse doesn't continue too much longer. Big congrats to all the admits though. You guys rock.

EDIT: Might another wave of admits be possible at Berkeley, or do you all think they're done?

Just woke up. Congrats to everyone who got into Berkeley and Cornell. Lots of them decisions I see posted in the results page.

I think NWU will be out today, if not, tomorrow. Someone said theory concentration admits have been given out at NWU, comparative field decisions haven't. That makes me feel a bit less anxious. Bad news for the theory guys out there. :P

No Berkeley email in my inbox... too bad. Of course I'm disappointed, but it's also somewhat of a relief. Even liberating. Like now I don't have to hit "refresh" quite as often.

Congratulations to all those who received acceptances! Jobs well done to be sure.

So, for everyone else that is feeling like crap for not getting an acceptance today, this is what happened last year:

UCSD: Accepted everyone at once. We're out of luck.

Berkeley: Let in a batch on Feb 7th, rejected on Feb 12, then let in another two on Feb 28th.

Cornell: All at once. We're out of luck.

NYU: Accepted in three waves.

So, for everyone else that is feeling like crap for not getting an acceptance today, this is what happened last year:

Berkeley: Let in a batch on Feb 7th, rejected on Feb 12, then let in another two on Feb 28th.

Mixed bag

Good to know. Thanks natofone.