PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

I would definitely play the latter angle rather than the former billiam345 - the department is much more likely to improve your situation if you have another offer in hand. Berkeley used to be notorious for playing this game when they thought they could get away with it, but that was a long time ago when I was applying to grad school.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is University of Washington (Seattle) done with their notifications or are they still working on it. It seems like a few people on this forum have already heard back and was wondering if they're done with sending out their acceptances and just preparing their denied letters.

Is University of Washington (Seattle) done with their notifications or are they still working on it. It seems like a few people on this forum have already heard back and was wondering if they're done with sending out their acceptances and just preparing their denied letters.

Nothing official at all

Hi everyone,

I was too lazy to set up an account for awhile so I've been lurking, but I figured I'd finally take the time.

I'm a philosophy major looking to become a political theorist. So far I've gotten into UVA and Berkeley. Curiously, however, my Berkeley funding offer (20k per year, 3.5k for first two summers) seems to be lower than all the other offers I've seen on grad cafe. Is there anyone else who received this offer, or am I getting shortchanged?

There is no need to hate on the theorists. Lets all be cordial. I'm sure with a few more admits in hand that offer might be able to be negotiated. Now...I just wish I knew what my financing looked like period...

Second that. I think theorist hating has plenty of space on poliscijobrumors, although I was wondering if and when the qually/quanty/you don't belong in a political SCIENCE dept. name calling would start up here...and the conversation was so congenial...

Cornell is saying they're not done notifying admissions, but will be done by the end of next week.

I don't imagine we'd hear from Harvard til week after next. Their committee is meeting next week.

I have it on *very* good authority that Harvard is making final decisions tomorrow. Whether or not that means decisions will come out tomorrow is another issue...

Hi everyone,

I was too lazy to set up an account for awhile so I've been lurking, but I figured I'd finally take the time.

I'm a philosophy major looking to become a political theorist. So far I've gotten into UVA and Berkeley. Curiously, however, my Berkeley funding offer (20k per year, 3.5k for first two summers) seems to be lower than all the other offers I've seen on grad cafe. Is there anyone else who received this offer, or am I getting shortchanged?

Yeah I got that offer too...

So what will Friday the 13th have in store? Wouldn't it be kind of kooky if schools deliberately decided to notify most of their rejects on Friday the 13th?

Good idea--I am making note of this for when I'm on an admissions committee...

In at UT-Austin, but no funding. Financial crisis! *Fists*

Hey, I'm applying to Comm at some places and PoliSci at others. I got into Comm at Texas but didn't get any funding either, so I guess cash is tight this year. Stupid recession, thought I'd avoid it by getting my PhD...

There is no need to hate on the theorists. Lets all be cordial. I'm sure with a few more admits in hand that offer might be able to be negotiated. Now...I just wish I knew what my financing looked like period...

I wasn't knocking theorists. I like them. He/she asked why they got less money. I pointed out the answer.

Does anyone have any info on Emory? I know a few have been accepted, but I wonder if they are done.

I'm told they are still reviewing. Admits to come in a few waves.

They have given out admits to the outstanding applicants, those who get into everywhere. I'm looking at you plisar and coachrjc. :wink:

I'm told they are still reviewing. Admits to come in a few waves.

They have given out admits to the outstanding applicants, those who get into everywhere. I'm looking at you plisar and coachrjc. :wink:

Many thanks! There are still possibilities...