PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was me informing about the Northwestern admits. I was told by the grad program assistant that they will start notifying later today and continue to next week. Maybe it's not too late? Or maybe they have called it quits for good and will start afresh with the notifications on monday?

They still might it's only 2:00 there and I didn't get my Yale e-mail till after 3:00 on Friday.

I spoke to someone on the committee at Michigan today and they said they usually admit 3 people for every 1 spot they want to fill, I'd assume its roughly the same or other schools. Which isn't actually that interesting but its a slow day/week so I'm clinging to any information I get.

I actually find this quite interesting. Any scrap of info you can share with us is really appreciated Scintille.

jackassjim, since you have been accepted there, do you have any latest news on Emory?

moremegil: I was actually accepted in what I believe was a first wave of acceptances on the 29th. Since then, I've received an invite to visit on Feb 19-20th. Some kind of open house I guess. Unfortunately, I don't think I really have any inside information that would be use to those of you who are still waiting. I have no idea how their admission process actually works.

So coach, are you organising visits to all Unis who have accepted you? I though it would be a great way to travel on the cheap myself. :twisted:

I'm tempted to, but I also don't intend to jerk anybody around unnecessarily, particularly because you never know when you'll need a favor (or a job for that matter).

But I'm making at least four visits thus far...anything's better than Lansing, anyway!

So coach, are you organising visits to all Unis who have accepted you? I though it would be a great way to travel on the cheap myself. :twisted:

So do they pay international applicants to come to open houses? Claremont Graduate has sent me one in an e-mail but said details will follow later.

mormegil wrote:jackassjim, since you have been accepted there, do you have any latest news on Emory?

moremegil: I was actually accepted in what I believe was a first wave of acceptances on the 29th. Since then, I've received an invite to visit on Feb 19-20th. Some kind of open house I guess. Unfortunately, I don't think I really have any inside information that would be use to those of you who are still waiting. I have no idea how their admission process actually works.

They also asked some of us to come down to Emory the weekend of Feb 27 to interview for a spot (as you might remember--with such a long thread, it's hard to keep track). I would say that it doesn't bode well if you didn't get asked to interview, but you never know. There might be a later interview date that they haven't worked out yet, or all of us going down in two weeks could underwhelm the committee. There's nothing wrong with keeping a healthy kernel of hope alive until you get an actual letter in the mail.

I called Duke because of what appeared to be an irregularity with one of my transcripts. Sounds like Monday is their last day of reckoning.

If I haven't heard from Duke yet should I assume they're pulling a yale and waiting an extra few days just to reject me? Thoughts?

So do they pay international applicants to come to open houses? Claremont Graduate has sent me one in an e-mail but said details will follow later.

Northwestern surprised me and offered to pay for my international flight...and I am not from Canada or Central America.

I guess they do have a big endowment!

Boston College runs a small program (5 new students a year), but this one stings. I tried to do the sensible thing, given my mediocre numbers and lack of background in the field, and skip the delusions that I could get into most of the top programs. I really want to move back to Boston (I got a master's in another field from Boston University a few years back). I applied to MIT as a stretch, and figured BU might be in my target range. BC was my backup plan, and now even they don't want me, in spite of the fact that their department has more relevant resources in my area of interest than either of the others in Boston (namely Alan Wolfe and the Boisi Center on Religion in Public Life).

From what I can determine, this is the least well-regarded program I applied to. And I'm out.

Guess I should've applied to Northeastern, too.

Ugh, thankfully I have a lot of love and good things in my life besides the desire to become a scholar. But this stings. I was putting most of my eggs in this basket. I still have an upcoming phone conversation with a committee member (at the school I LEAST want to attend).