PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Anyone know anything about Michigan--where they are in the process, when their visit day is, etc?

I've heard that it's the weekend of march 13-15, but want to know if this is a rumor or if there's evidence out there somewhere.

Also, any idea on when we'll be hearing back (aka: should I call them soon)?

I've heard from my other top program and want to know how difficult of a decision I will have to make.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan's visit is the 13-15. There is no way to prove this, but it isn't a rumor -- it is set. As far as where they are in the process, they should be done, but it is doubtful that they actually are. With their spring break occurring next week, you'd imagine that they need to make some decisions by Friday or there will end up having trouble getting people to their visit weekend which is only three weeks away at this point.

I'm glad to not feel alone in this admissions cycle..This is my first post, until now my nervousness has been only shared with my husband. Our situation is very difficult and I wonder if other married couples go through this. We were living in Connecticut and my husband was unemployed for 3 months because of green card issues that wouldn't allow him to work anymore. We ended up having to move to my parents home in a tiny town in Kentucky and this past November he finally got back in status and got a good job in Lexington, KY. I had aspirations for the PhD for a while and originally started out planning to apply to around 10 schools, but seeing how unfortunate his job situation has been I feel like it will be impossible to go anywhere for my PhD except the University of Kentucky here in Lexington. I still applied at other mediocre schools like Vandy and low ranked programs like UT-Knoxville and Cincy, however, because he is the main income provider and seeing how hard it was for him to get a job in the past, I don't want to move again and him have a record of not holding a job for longer than a year. I was just wondering what other married couples go through when their spouse already has a job in the area you are living...especially with so many programs (i.e Indiana) having limited job opportunities for your spouse. This would be so much easier if I were single, but his support is the only thing keeping me sane in this horrible waiting game. I contacted UK about admissions decisions last week and they said they would be emailed this week, but screwing me up is the fact that someone posted they got accepted into UK political science last week...no one had ever even posted on the results page anything about UK Political Science so that made me feel crappy and convince myself it's a fake.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.85, IPED & Political Science (low ranked program)

Graduate GPA: 3.65 (MA International Affairs) (decent ranked program in NYC)

Crappy GRE: 1010, A.W 5.5

Research experience in China & India

Two Undergrad theses: South Asian terrorism, Middle East Suicide bombers

Worked as Anti-Money Laundering Analyst for multinational bank

Intern for Human Rights NGO in NYC

Man oh man. Today alone has dropped my acceptance rate from 1.000 to .667. Oh well. My husband (a native New Englander) was deeply prejudiced against Texas summers anyway. Now that's one less battle I have to fight in life.

I'm glad to not feel alone in this admissions cycle..This is my first post, until now my nervousness has been only shared with my husband. Our situation is very difficult and I wonder if other married couples go through this. We were living in Connecticut and my husband was unemployed for 3 months because of green card issues that wouldn't allow him to work anymore. We ended up having to move to my parents home in a tiny town in Kentucky and this past November he finally got back in status and got a good job in Lexington, KY. I had aspirations for the PhD for a while and originally started out planning to apply to around 10 schools, but seeing how unfortunate his job situation has been I feel like it will be impossible to go anywhere for my PhD except the University of Kentucky here in Lexington. I still applied at other mediocre schools like Vandy and low ranked programs like UT-Knoxville and Cincy, however, because he is the main income provider and seeing how hard it was for him to get a job in the past, I don't want to move again and him have a record of not holding a job for longer than a year. I was just wondering what other married couples go through when their spouse already has a job in the area you are living...especially with so many programs (i.e Indiana) having limited job opportunities for your spouse. This would be so much easier if I were single, but his support is the only thing keeping me sane in this horrible waiting game. I contacted UK about admissions decisions last week and they said they would be emailed this week, but screwing me up is the fact that someone posted they got accepted into UK political science last week...no one had ever even posted on the results page anything about UK Political Science so that made me feel crappy and convince myself it's a fake.

I'm the UK admit, I'm real. Was emailed by Naomi Norasak last week...to be honest, your stats look more impressive than mine, with the exception of the GRE. (Not like I was world beater on that, myself, 1260, 720 V 540 Q 6.0 W)

Dear "dreadadiplomat",

I completely understand where you are coming from. My wife has a good job here working for the city here in our small town.

I also have two kids in high school. I have a job running a small business and teach as an adjunct at the local city college (due to my MA and some govt. service).

I picked schools that were geographically close for the most part and am praying that I get accepted at either one. However, I was fortunate that I have two good schools relatively close by (Iowa and WUSTL).

My wife has a wait and see attitiude about the whole thing, which obviously depends much on the funding offers I may or may not receive, but I share your concerns-it is a lot to ask loved ones to step out on that limb with you. However, things have a way of turning out for the best-if you are open to them, opportunities can come at the strangest times and places.

Good luck

I'm the UK admit, I'm real. Was emailed by Naomi Norasak last week...to be honest, your stats look more impressive than mine, with the exception of the GRE. (Not like I was world beater on that, myself, 1260, 720 V 540 Q 6.0 W)

Best of luck!

Wisconsin package came in. 41% TA /PA = 10.5K for 9 months...

Wow.

Are you a bit underwhelmed by that, too? I was pretty surprised (and not in a good way) when I opened my envelope and saw that figure. Given what Illinois came in at and the range that Ohio State gave, I was expecting Wisconsin to be at least $5K higher.

I've been stressing eating cookies. Not good for the waistline. I'm working a thesis too so I probably would be eating cookies regardless, but perhaps fewer. I also have re-developed a tv addiction. Not so good for the thesis, which is why today has been devoted to turning a bunch of my data into dummy variables. I also have taken to angrily deleting emails not related to this process..take that overstock.com.

Has anyone taken up any useful vices during this process? Alcoholism just seems too obvious but I definitely need something to keep me distracted other than this forum, which only encourages my neurotic tendencies.

My tactics: longer workouts, harder partying on the weekend, more time with the PS2, reading more comic books - not that I consider these things vices.

Upside: Keeps me worn out and away from my computer, more time on treadmill/dancefloor makes stress-eating more acceptable

Downside: I'd like to not fail my senior thesis

Has anyone taken up any useful vices during this process? Alcoholism just seems too obvious but I definitely need something to keep me distracted other than this forum, which only encourages my neurotic tendencies.

Curiously, even though the forum takes a bit of my time, it is not so detrimental, as it simply pulled me away from my other vices...

Are you a bit underwhelmed by that, too? I was pretty surprised (and not in a good way) when I opened my envelope and saw that figure. Given what Illinois came in at and the range that Ohio State gave, I was expecting Wisconsin to be at least $5K higher.

I don't see how Wisconsin can compete with other comparable schools for the best applicants if the funding package is so dreadful. Looks like a program on the decline...

I don't see how Wisconsin can compete with other comparable schools for the best applicants if the funding package is so dreadful. Looks like a program on the decline...

Regardless of their funding offers, I think the program is really on the upswing. If you look at the faculty they recently hired, there are some impressive people and I think their reputation will continue to improve.