PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

any insight into columbia? i think someone mentioned before that they have fewer applicants than normal (so, instead of 700, maybe they have 650 - phew), but not sure when we might expect decisions. if we go by last year, i'd imagine they're meeting now, and could send out decisions this week or next. anybody have any info?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given up hope on Chicago and I'm very pessimistic about NWU. Maybe I should give up on TAMU as well? I'm tempted to add more schools in the 'reject' list of my signature.

I wouldn't give up on TAMU yet. I really get the impression that they've only done a first wave, and the recruitment weekend isn't until March 27-29. I have a call with a prof from there later today. I'll try to ask him if they are finished (this prof isn't on the adcom but he might know).

I wouldn't give up on TAMU yet. I really get the impression that they've only done a first wave, and the recruitment weekend isn't until March 27-29. I have a call with a prof from there later today. I'll try to ask him if they are finished (this prof isn't on the adcom but he might know).

Hey, thanks man! Please do ask and keep us posted. :)

Duke is fabulous! Even if you don't have a choice, a good choice will be made for you! However, I wouldn't lose hope on your remaining schools just yet.

Oh, certainly. I'm not pitying myself here. I'm just a little anxious to hear because, at this point, Chicago and Northwestern are the only schools that could dissuade me from attending Duke (even Princeton, for all of its merits, just doesn't fit my interests as well). If I knew conclusively that my number was up at both of the Chi-town schools, I could sort of put this process behind me.

I really don't think that anyone can do either. There seems to be few sources out of Northwestern, but given that their visit is likely within two weeks, it seems EXTREMELY late for this program to still be making decisions.

The last I heard (from a admin person there) was that decisions were being made this week (16th-20th) and possibly next week (23rd-27th). She also said that it would take 48 hours from the time they made a decision until the link goes up on the Apply yourself site. Given all of the talk about delays and such for other universities, perhaps they are in the same boat. So, I am still hoping.

I've pretty much written off Chicago, but I'm still holding out hope for UVA and Rutgers, since I've neither been rejected or admitted yet. Anyone have any inside info on these two such as: # of Admit/Reject waves, notified by subfield or completely random, average # of funded admit slots, etc. I can't make heads or tails of them based on what has been reported on the results page and this forum so far. I sort of considered Rutgers my safety school, so the silence is a bit alarming. This process has quickly shown me that patience is a virtue I do not have. Hang in there everyone!

I've pretty much written off Chicago, but I'm still holding out hope for UVA and Rutgers, since I've neither been rejected or admitted yet. Anyone have any inside info on these two such as: # of Admit/Reject waves, notified by subfield or completely random, average # of funded admit slots, etc. I can't make heads or tails of them based on what has been reported on the results page and this forum so far. I sort of considered Rutgers my safety school, so the silence is a bit alarming. This process has quickly shown me that patience is a virtue I do not have. Hang in there everyone!

I think UVA is done. From some of my other sources they've even admitted students without funding as well. Rutgers, I think, is still up for grabs. I don't know how many students they normall admit but I am assuming they will continue their notification process until the end of next week. So there is still hope as well. Good luck.

any insight into columbia? i think someone mentioned before that they have fewer applicants than normal (so, instead of 700, maybe they have 650 - phew), but not sure when we might expect decisions. if we go by last year, i'd imagine they're meeting now, and could send out decisions this week or next. anybody have any info?

I *predict* by the end of next week word will be sent out. Usually the end of February with them. There is a graduate student from there that frequents grad cafe ("gradster") who is supposed to keep us posted.

Hmmm....well I'm just going to email the UVA grad secretary again to see if they are done yet. I'm sure she hates these annoying emails from us, but hey, inquiring minds want to know.

Let me know what she says. I am still in 'pending' limbo too.

Would any Chicago admits be willing to share their stats? I would be really curious to see exactly what it takes to get in there.

I have a 3.82 UGPA, 3.75 Grad GPA from a pretty solid school, a forthcoming book chapter, some conference presentations, and some research and travel grants. But that apparently is not enough to even get waitlisted.

I say don't count yourself out for NW just yet, but be prepared for a long wait. It is likely that you guys are on a de-facto waiting list. That is what happened to me last year. The process dragged on until mid-April and then I was rejected. (That might be why they notified me so early this year!) But I remember that one or two people got in early April last year. They probably wait to see how the accepted students respond.

Brutal. Where did you hear the six figure? Not doubting, just curious.

Someone in the department told me. I have no stake in the decisions there, but you're absolutely correct, that was brutal.

flatcoat, if they said "you are not in the denied pile," then I'd say it means you're in. Did UF tell you that?

I got an email one week ago from a prof saying, "it would be useful for us to chat a bit about what we offer," then asking when would be a good time to call. I emailed back immediately some times, but a week has passed and I've heard nothing. What does THAT mean?

flatcoat, if they said "you are not in the denied pile," then I'd say it means you're in. Did UF tell you that?

I got an email one week ago from a prof saying, "it would be useful for us to chat a bit about what we offer," then asking when would be a good time to call. I emailed back immediately some times, but a week has passed and I've heard nothing. What does THAT mean?

I hope you're right!

I would email back again. If he/she wanted to talk to you, I'd say you could be a probable yes. I doubt they'd put you in the denied pile after trying to interview you. Email him/her back saying you haven't heard, are available to talk, and are looking forward to hearing more about the program. Or something like that.

PM me if you would like the contact I emailed. She may be able to tell you more if the prof continues to be MIA.