PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

I don't know if this will help. The e-mail from ND yesterday said that there was a 'deep' waiting list. Thus, I am assuming many of you will be notified as waitlisted. Also, from the e-mail sent out today by the grad secretary, it seems like ND only admitted 11 students this year.

Well, that at least ends speculation that they're not done admitting people. They're done.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this will help. The e-mail from ND yesterday said that there was a 'deep' waiting list. Thus, I am assuming many of you will be notified as waitlisted. Also, from the e-mail sent out today by the grad secretary, it seems like ND only admitted 11 students this year.

Yeah, I also got that email, but assume maybe that was just the people in my subfield. Guess not. It seems like a surprisingly small number.

In addition facing the same financial concerns as everyone, ND also had to contend with an above-target yield in their 2008 cohort of 14 -- so, I think they are taking a very conservative approach and building off the waitlist when necessary instead of forcasting their yield for a target of 12. (and thus admitting more)

In addition facing the same financial concerns as everyone, ND also had to contend with an above-target yield in their 2008 cohort of 14 -- so, I think they are taking a very conservative approach and building off the waitlist when necessary instead of forcasting their yield for a target of 12. (and thus admitting more)

they are targeting 12 and admitting 11 ... good strategy!!

I heard that Ann Arbor was a horrible place to live -- earthquakes, high cost of living, acid rain, werewolves, etc. And I'm not just saying that because I'm on a wait list and trying to deter folks from accepting.

I just received a waitlist letter as well.

Can we make a tally of who was waitlisted by Michigan in what subfields? I'm in IR.

I just received a waitlist letter as well.

Can we make a tally of who was waitlisted by Michigan in what subfields? I'm in IR.

I might be opening the floodgates here, but I'm leaning towards Berkeley, in which case somebody can take my spot at Michigan. Not totally sure yet...

:lol::lol: Just in case anyone actually thinks this is a possibility, Michigan has a top five endowment (only behind the ivies and Stanford). It needs the state budget like Bill Gates needs another billion.

All of that was heavily invested with Bernie Madoff, also a lot of Icelandic treasury bonds.

By the way I'm theory/public law.

We haven't heard anything from NYU in a few weeks, should we assume they are also done?

I don't think so. I think there will be another round, or at least a small number of people will be filtered in as people choose other colleges.

I think we should only officially give up hope at the end of the month. Or when we're holding our rejections, whichever is sooner...

procrastinatrice, I have the feeling that JHU may be done. Just my gut, though.

What's your intended focus there?

Any thoughts on when we'll hear from UMass?

I received an e-mail today from UMass in response to my questions about their timeline. I was informed that there will likely be making decisions and informing candidates the first half of March.

Waitlisted at Stanford. Thanks I guess?

In other news, I talked to a prof at Berkeley today and he said that all the top 5 schools basically admit the same 60 students, then fight over them. I'm really curious as to if this is true. Has anyone here ever been accepted to like every top school?

I'm in at MIT!! Phone call around 5:45 from a professor; field: Security/IR. This is totally brilliant since MIT was my first choice by far. I am now officially living proof that one can get rejected from almost everywhere EXCEPT their top choice!!

I'm in at MIT!! Phone call around 5:45 from a professor; field: Security/IR. This is totally brilliant since MIT was my first choice by far. I am now officially living proof that one can get rejected from almost everywhere EXCEPT their top choice!!

wooo! congrats! awesome awesome

The earthquakes are disturbing, but nothing as bad as the werewolves. Those bastards come out every month and really create havoc. I suggest buying a supply of silver bullets before attending.

Somebody's been watching too much Supernatural. :lol: