Academia.edu

cliopatra

Anyone use Academia.edu to network?

I have a profile but I find it creepy that it notifies me whenever someone googles my name (my name is rare there are only two of us in North America to the best of my knowledge).

If so, do you upload papers and articles you have written? How do you feel about sharing your work online?

I have one, though i's not that interesting to me because there aren't too many people on it (yet...more seem to be joining as time goes on) so I don't spend a lot of time on it. But I do actually like the Google search alert feature.

I uploaded one of my papers but it's no big deal, since my paper is published in an open-access electronic journal.

I think it's useful in that it's good place for people interested in your field to find you. What's good about it is that your page on there tends to show up high on search results, so it's a good way to put yourself online so that people interested in your work can find you.

I think it's useful in that it's good place for people interested in your field to find you. What's good about it is that your page on there tends to show up high on search results, so it's a good way to put yourself online so that people interested in your work can find you.

Very good point!

I use it quite a bit. I uploaded a review that's to be published in December, and now I frequently get notifications that it's been accessed via a "[name of book] review" google search. This usually directs people to my webpage/blog, too, so it's a double benefit.

Not that I'm going to get famous from a book review. But still. It has helped me with a few job interviews/publications/conferences.

• 2 weeks later...

I use it quite a bit. I uploaded a review that's to be published in December, and now I frequently get notifications that it's been accessed via a "[name of book] review" google search. This usually directs people to my webpage/blog, too, so it's a double benefit.

Not that I'm going to get famous from a book review. But still. It has helped me with a few job interviews/publications/conferences.

Wow - care to explain how it helped you get those? Thanks!

(I use academia.edu to inform me when professors google me - it often means that they also visit my other webpage [where their IP gets logged, haha]. Not that I'd use it for anything evil - but I'm just curious as to whether or not their attitude towards me changes after they find my webpage)

• 5 weeks later...

Wow - care to explain how it helped you get those? Thanks!

(I use academia.edu to inform me when professors google me - it often means that they also visit my other webpage [where their IP gets logged, haha]. Not that I'd use it for anything evil - but I'm just curious as to whether or not their attitude towards me changes after they find my webpage)

it's a great boost to my ego to see my academia.edu stats- it's great seeing that people are finding my paper by searching for related keywords.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to revive this and see if anyone else on this forum has recently joined the site. I've noticed a pretty sudden increase in profiles for people who attend my school, and I'm starting to see more results in terms of research papers. I'm also getting into it a little more now by adding a few more research interests, e-stalking people I academically admire, etc. I still haven't uploaded a paper yet, but I'm hoping to add a paper on Tristram Shandy over Christmas break. (read: January or February.)

Edited by dimanche0829