Programs in Canada

Scalia

I've found that a couple of PhD. programs in Canada have faculty members that are doing research very compatible with my own interests. Does anybody know how programs are seen at schools like UBC, McGill, or York University are seen in comparison to their American counterparts? Will not having a degree from a US institution be a barrier to finding work in academia within the U.S.?

As always, any insight is much appreciated.

-S

You don't say which subfield you're in. In mine, social psych, Toronto, Waterloo, and UBC are top 25 programs, and Western Ontario is in the top 40.

Two recent graduates from program got very competitive faculty jobs at American universities. So it can happen. What really matters when you graduate are your CV and your letter writers.

All that said, could it be a barrier? Maybe. The Canadian programs just don't have the same cachet as, say, Ivy league universities in the United States. Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. just have these awe-inspiring reputations that other places can't match. When assessing the quality of one's degree, people can often rely on this kind of heuristic.

• 1 month later...

I am also very curious about this.

One of my strong research interests lies on theory and history of psychology, but there's no graduate program available on the U.S. UNH's history of psychology PhD program was cancelled three years ago and since then there's nothing to do except applying to Canada's two main programs: York University's and Calgary University's.

The question I've been asking myself was if a PhD degree from a canadian institution wouldn't be marginalized when compared to an equivalent american degree even inside canadian academia.

How could they marginalize you for going to Canada if the program isn't offered anywhere else? But seriously, I would worry more about jobs after you graduate. Only two programs indicates a lack of demand for that specialization. You might end up needing to apply to a history department.

By the way, the York program has an interesting blog: Advances in the History of Psychology

Sonicmasics (did I get that name right?)

You are applying to the two institutions I have studied in (undergrad) in the only two cities I have ever lived

So if you have any general questions about the cities or institutions let me know!

Also, York's undergrad and graduate psych student association (I'm the prez at my campus of the undergrad at my campus, no big deal) have a little initiative where we've partnered grad students with undergrads who want to pursue grad studies

My mentor is in history of psych, so if you have any questions I can ask him, or connect you, he's fucking awesome.

Ps the name of the uni in calgs is the University of Calgary : )

Lewin00: Thanks a lot for your reply. I've been thinking about this, too. It may be really hard to find a job since there are virtually no departments on this area in North America. If it turns to the worst scenario and I am not able to find a job, might go back to Brazil and get a job at a pretty good university since we still kinda lack PhD's. Believe it or not, I have three papers from this blog but have never directly accessed it. It's mantained by professor Chris Green, I guess. Well, thanks a lot for your input again. :)

Carlyhylton: Wow, thank you VERY VERY much. Who's your mentor? I've exchanged a few e-mails with professor Thomas Teo, since he is probably the researcher with more approximations to my area of interest. It's been great and he really encouraged me to apply to York even though he said it's wildly competitive. How does this program "fit" into the university? Do they have a nice library and a reasonable number of financial aid possibilities? About Calgary (sorry for my mistake): the program seems to be pretty small, but professor Stam's work have surprised me in a very positive way. Do you know him? Is it easier to get into University of Calgary? Again, thank you. :)

Hi guys! I am applying for University of Toronto's social psychology program. I heard this is very very competitive, and I'm worried about my chances (I don't want to apply for a school I won't get in).

I was wondering if you guys know anything about the Psychology Academic Interest form. I can't find it anywhere, and the only way I get to see it is after I pay the application fee. I want to prepare for the writing part before applying, so anyone know a way??

You're in luck, apparently I saved the form from when I applied a few years ago. It asked:

1. Select a major and minor research area (e.g., social, cognitive)

2. Briefly describe your research interests more specifically. (If space is inadequate, you may use a separate sheet.)

3. If you have any teaching or research experience that you consider relevant, please provide details. (If space is inadequate, you may use a separate sheet.)

4. GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, analytical; psychology optional)

5. Which scholarships you applied for (e.g., OGS, SSHRC)

Edited by lewin00

You're in luck, apparently I saved the form from when I applied a few years ago. It asked:

1. Select a major and minor research area (e.g., social, cognitive)

2. Briefly describe your research interests more specifically. (If space is inadequate, you may use a separate sheet.)

3. If you have any teaching or research experience that you consider relevant, please provide details. (If space is inadequate, you may use a separate sheet.)

4. GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, analytical; psychology optional)

5. Which scholarships you applied for (e.g., OGS, SSHRC)

SO they are not looking for an essay?? I was kinda counting on the essay part to make my application stronger hahaha (my GRE scores are not that strong)...

^ The research interests part would probably be where you would write a SoP type essay

This. The "you may use a separate sheet" is a trick; they only provide a few lines so you should definitely use a separate sheet.

The data for U of T say: "Average scores for students admitted in 2010 for Master's: GRE-V 604. GRE-Q 669. GRE-A 5.0 Psychology 750. Grade average of A- or equivalent is usually required."

This. The "you may use a separate sheet" is a trick; they only provide a few lines so you should definitely use a separate sheet.

Hi, I'm sorry for all these questions, but when they said a separate sheet, it is only 1 page right?? I guess I'm just a little paranoid about U of T. I really like the researchers there but the whole application process seems very different from those in US.

^ And to me the application process in the US looks super confusing. I'm at U of T for Aerospace Engineering. I applied first through the School of Graduate Studies and then through a separate online system for my department, as each department has their own specifications. I believe my department specified word counts for the things they required.

Hi, I'm sorry for all these questions, but when they said a separate sheet, it is only 1 page right?? I guess I'm just a little paranoid about U of T. I really like the researchers there but the whole application process seems very different from those in US.

I really have no inside knowledge here, I'm just somebody who applied a few years ago and still has the form saved. I imagine "separate sheet" means one page but if you're really concerned check with the department. Most departments have someone who administers graduate applications.

...I applied in both Canada and the U.S. and don't remember the processes being much different from one another, except that the American places looooved their interview weekends and many Canadian places don't bother.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that a lot of the Canadian schools are very well respected. McGill is comparable to an Ivy League. In some ways, Canadian schools are the hardest to get in to because there are fewer, and so all Canadians (who don't have US citizenship) are trying to jam themselves in to the few good programs.

The main difference is lack of funding... Canadian schools have less money, plain and simple. Getting a NSERC or SSHRC grant goes a long way on a Canadian application. I would say apply to Canadian schools if they have the programs you are interested in!

The main difference is lack of funding... Canadian schools have less money, plain and simple. Getting a NSERC or SSHRC grant goes a long way on a Canadian application. I would say apply to Canadian schools if they have the programs you are interested in!

It's funny you say this because I get the impression there is significantly more external funding for graduate students in Canada. In my program 80% of grad students have external awards from SSHRC, NSERC, or OGS. Our profs all have grants so I have plenty of funding for research and RA's, and I get a conference or two paid travel each year. I don't mean to toot my program's horn, but I don't want others to get the impression we lack for money. Maybe compared to the Ivys, but not necessarily compared to the average U.S. school.

It's funny you say this because I get the impression there is significantly more external funding for graduate students in Canada. In my program 80% of grad students have external awards from SSHRC, NSERC, or OGS. Our profs all have grants so I have plenty of funding for research and RA's, and I get a conference or two paid travel each year. I don't mean to toot my program's horn, but I don't want others to get the impression we lack for money. Maybe compared to the Ivys, but not necessarily compared to the average U.S. school.

Wow, awesome! That's good to know. Do you think it makes more of a difference in Canadian applications to have external (national) funding than American ones?

Wow, awesome! That's good to know. Do you think it makes more of a difference in Canadian applications to have external (national) funding than American ones?

I really don't have the background to compare it to the American situation. At the time of application most people won't have received news about their SSHRC's yet, typically grad student decisions are in March while SSHRC's come out in April. The most that one can probably say is "My application to SSHRC was forwarded to national competition." (applications are a two-stage process, first you have to get out of the university, then compete nationally)