Typical response time of Professors

akabir

Hi, I am a potential PhD student in CSE for Fall 2012. I've started writing to a few professors whose research coincide with my interests. It has been two days, and not having received any replies from any of the four professors, I'm starting to get a little anxious. Should I be? What is the typical response time for professors? And how long should I wait before sending a polite reminder?

Edited by akabir

Well first off you want to consider, the subject you put for the email. For some things they may end up just deleting it. Truthfully though, given fall semester just started and some schools that are on the quarter system may have not even begun you have to expect it will take at least a few days. I actually wrote to a few departments just asking questions on the department as a whole and for some places it was over a week until I heard back, but when I did the message was very thorough.

Two days is nothing, particularly given that it's the beginning of the fall semester in the U.S. I imagine they're quite occupied with other things and will get back to you as soon as possible, but you should be patient and allow them some time.

Truthfully though, given fall semester just started and some schools that are on the quarter system may have not even begun you have to expect it will take at least a few days. I actually wrote to a few departments just asking questions on the department as a whole and for some places it was over a week until I heard back, but when I did the message was very thorough.

Thanks to both of you. Yeah, I need to be more patient.

Well first off you want to consider, the subject you put for the email. For some things they may end up just deleting it.

My subject was "Prospective PhD student interested in xyz lab/research group"

Edited by akabir