Anyone getting a PhD to teach primarily rather than do research?

hejduk

I'm one of those people, but I have to walk a fine line in my dept. There's definitely a favoritism towards research, as the university is an R1. There are profs in the dept who are more teachers than researchers, but it seems that they are treated as the black sheep of the dept.

I'm wondering if there are any members on the boards who are leaning towards pedagogy rather than research, and what tips or advice they have to get through this PhD in one piece. I've been told I need to learn to like research, which I honestly intend to do, but to also keep my interests in teaching on the "down low".

God I hope this doesn't start a research vs. teaching flamefest.

I'm more interested in teaching than research. I definitely want to do both, but my main goal is to be a teaching prof at a SLAC, small university, or maybe a student-centered R1 located in a small town. I'm a "people" person, and I want to be able to connect with my students, not just perform research.

Edited by northstar22

I'm more interested in teaching than research. I definitely want to do both, but my main goal is to be a teaching prof at a SLAC, small university, or maybe a student-centered R1 located in a small town. I'm a "people" person, and I want to be able to connect with my students, not just perform research.

Agreed to all the above! I have about four semesters of solo teaching at a public university, and have started my PhD in the attempts of securing full-time employment. Adjuncting is a stop-gap, not a way of life! I absolutely love the mentoring aspect of teaching, and have nothing but joy when I see a student a few semesters after having them in class going on to something greater (grad school, employment, etc).

I'm having a hard time finding people at my program that are "open" about wanting to pursue teaching gigs, rather then the R1 research route. Hopefully I can find people for my committee that are teaching centered with some research experience as well. I think teaching is even more important now with public accountability of teaching methods and wanting to know that profs are actually doing something int he classroom. It's so disheartening to hear "research focused" teachers say they absolutely hate teaching!

Exactly. The word "professor" means one who "professes," or teaches. Doing research is important, but so is instructing and mentoring students. One of the major reasons I chose the third-tier undergrad university I went to over Michigan or Michigan State is because I wanted to attend classes taught by real professors, not just teaching assistants. I didn't want to go to a "big name" university where all the profs were holed up doing research and sitting on committees while having no contact with the undergrads. Some of my professors have made significant marks on my life, and I want to be able to do the same for others someday. I love research, but I can't imagine going into academia as a prof and not teaching students.

I love teaching! Before I started my PhD program, I'd taught/tutored students in various subjects all the way from kindergarten to college undergrads in a variety of part-time gigs. My decision to pursue a PhD was made with a definite intention to pursue teaching as a full-time career.

That said, I do love research as well... I like to come up with new ideas, I like to travel, I like to observe and interact with people, and I like to write (I'm in anthropology, so that's basically what our research consists of!). I feel very lucky because I can't think of too many aspects of being a professor that I wouldn't like (maybe dealing with departmental politics? and grading?) My ideal job after PhD would be one where I can teach/mentor both grads and undergrads and also have time to develop my own research. Here's hoping I get it!

Doing research is important, but so is instructing and mentoring students. One of the major reasons I chose the third-tier undergrad university I went to over Michigan or Michigan State is because I wanted to attend classes taught by real professors, not just teaching assistants... Some of my professors have made significant marks on my life, and I want to be able to do the same for others someday. I love research, but I can't imagine going into academia as a prof and not teaching students.

So what are you doing to ensure that you end-up at a teaching university (or small liberal arts college)? I'm getting a Teaching Certificate, which who knows how much that'll help, but surely can't hurt. I'm currently TAing, but hope to get some more solo experience teaching before I get outta here. I'm going to take some classes in Education, as I have to take four classes outside my main area. Might include some classes in education theory or pedagogy just to help as well.

That said, I do love research as well... My ideal job after PhD would be one where I can teach/mentor both grads and undergrads and also have time to develop my own research.

Research also adds to your knowledge and therefore ties in directly with teaching. I'm learning to like research, but it's gonna have to grow on me a lot to replace my first priority of teaching. And the same question to you: what are you doing to enable yourself to teach after graduating?

I'm hoping to end up at a primarily teaching institution, but I like research enough that I don't want to give it up entirely. (Side note: since my divorce I've pretty much had to give up any plans for the future; I have joint custody of my kids, and if I leave the state I may end up losing custody altogether. So I may just take whatever job I can get in the Denver area--which will probably mean working for USGS or an environmental consulting firm. For the next 8 years, my kids come first... but I really really really want to teach.)

I found a really cool site the other day. It's geared towards the geosciences, but a lot of the links lead to more general advice: http://serc.carleton.edu/teachearth/site_guides/career.html Look down a bit, at the 'resources for grad students and postdocs' section, and you'll see links to ways to prepare for an academic career. One of the articles they linked to was on getting teaching experience. I think you'll find it valuable: http://chronicle.com/article/How-To-Get-All-Important-Te/46358/

I love teaching too and the research part of a PhD is what makes me plan not to get a PhD! Please don't get me wrong, research may be a ful filling ting for many but I'm not among those. However, I do realize that only a master's degree may not land me full-time jobs at any institution!

A question for those of you having some knowledge on this topic : so a teaching institution/university is not really top tier then? I mean do such school always have to be tier 3 or low ranked?

I can't say that I am more interested in one or the other - I like both. I love my research; I love being engaged in research and being a scientist. But I also like teaching; I like working with undergraduates especially, and ideally my job would involve conveying a love of science and research to undergrads - regardless of their career field, but especially to encourage them to go into the (social) sciences.

My ideal goal would be to work at a small liberal arts college or a regional public university, primarily with undergrads. The dream would be to get a small pot of start-up funding that I could do research with, write some smaller grants, and train some undergraduate RAs and give them the love of doing research bug too, but also teach intro/stats/research methods and convey that those are important skills to have regardless of whether one plans a career as an academic or in another field.

Anyway, what have I done? I'm pretty vocal about my goals. My advisors know I do not wish to teach at an R1. They are fine with it. I'm TAing a lot of classes, but poising myself in other ways - like publishing enough to attract a job's attention.

And no, teaching schools are not always "tier 3" and down. There are top liberal arts colleges like Swarthmore, Amherst, Williams, Smith, Wellesley, etc., where the focus is mostly on teaching undergraduates and those are reputable and prestigious institutions (although in academic parlance, not as "desirable" as the king goal of teaching/researching at the R1 - Harvard, Stanford, Michigan, etc. Personally, I think "desirable" is subjective). There are also regional public universities that are certainly not poor schools by any means, they simply aren't the flagship, and the focus there is also teaching. I have a friend who teaches at UNC-Greensboro, for example. Georgia Southern University and University of West Georgia are two other regional publics that have good reputations, but the professors focus mostly on teaching. And private universities that might be examples are Carlow in PA and Oglethorpe in GA.

what are you doing to enable yourself to teach after graduating?

I'm working as a TA for my department now, which is valuable experience. After I defend my dissertation proposal, I'm hoping to get hired to teach a course or two - this is fairly standard in my department.

Also, my university has a mentoring program called "Tomorrow's Professor Today" that I plan to take advantage of when the time is right (in my department, it makes most sense to do this in the 4th-5th years). It's run by the teaching resource center on campus, and includes a wide variety of activities/services meant to help kick-start a teaching career: they video tape your classes and offer feedback, offer workshops on writing teaching statements, arrange for you to "shadow" experienced professors, etc.

I will be a TA next semester, but I'm pretty sure I'll mostly be doing grading. I would love to gain more teaching experience, and my university offers a variety of free courses to train to be a better TA or instructor. My school also offers a professional skills training program, which prepares you for industry as well. So many options to better prepare myself for my future, but I'm not exactly sure what I want to do yet

But I also like teaching; I like working with undergraduates especially, and ideally my job would involve conveying a love of science and research to undergrads...

Anyway, what have I done? I'm pretty vocal about my goals. My advisors know I do not wish to teach at an R1. They are fine with it. I'm TAing a lot of classes, but poising myself in other ways - like publishing enough to attract a job's attention.

I was hesitant at first to let my advisor know, but they seem to be supportive. I think it's good to know where you want to end-up, so that you can take advantage of your time in grad school and can tailor your CV and studies to being employed in that type of environment (SLAC, R1, etc).

Absolutely love teaching undergrads (not that I've taught grad students or anything). While it's a struggle to break them from technology (cellphones, etc), the mentoring aspect and seeing them mature is what I absolutely love the most.

Also, my university has a mentoring program called "Tomorrow's Professor Today" that I plan to take advantage of when the time is right (in my department, it makes most sense to do this in the 4th-5th years).

My university also offers a teaching certificate and some workshops as well. They're free, and can only help your CV/job pursuit, so why not take them?

I would love to gain more teaching experience, and my university offers a variety of free courses to train to be a better TA or instructor. My school also offers a professional skills training program, which prepares you for industry as well.

Ditto to what I said above. I think it's fine to not know exactly where you're going, but TAing will definitely help you figure out if you prefer smaller or larger classes, sole lecturing vs. team lecturing, etc.

I don't attempt to break my undergrads from technology - I embrace it, instead. In addition to TAing I also supervise resident assistants in the res halls. They all have my cell phone number and they call me or text me when they need to. They have not abused the privilege - they really only text me or call me when they need to. For my course, we put the class survey up on Google Docs, we use our electronic stuff (Courseworks et al.) to the fullest possible, communicate primarily by email if not in person.

I'm not that much older than my undergrads myself, and I grew up in the generation that's sort of constantly tethered to their electronic devices. IMO there's a lot of cool stuff you can do with the technology - although I do have to tell them to get off Facebook in my class, lol.

If your "official" teaching experience as a TA is limited to grading or running labs (as mine was), try to get experience doing guest lectures. I've done two full class periods so far, as well as a portion of another, and will be running my advisor's grad class in a couple of weeks!

One of the gen chem profs who likes my teaching style knows I am willing to sub for him any time...

So what are you doing to ensure that you end-up at a teaching university (or small liberal arts college)? I'm getting a Teaching Certificate, which who knows how much that'll help, but surely can't hurt. I'm currently TAing, but hope to get some more solo experience teaching before I get outta here. I'm going to take some classes in Education, as I have to take four classes outside my main area. Might include some classes in education theory or pedagogy just to help as well.

Research also adds to your knowledge and therefore ties in directly with teaching. I'm learning to like research, but it's gonna have to grow on me a lot to replace my first priority of teaching. And the same question to you: what are you doing to enable yourself to teach after graduating?

I'm seeking a TA position next semester, and I'm planning to take some pedagogy-related electives when I start my PhD (I'm pursuing an MA now). I'm not really sure that there is much else I can do, other than be a successful TA.

I currently work as a tutor at a very small state college and I love it so far! My experiences in research as an undergrad were short-term and scattered, so my interest in a life emphasizing research over teaching does not appeal to me as of yet. I look forward to being a TA, and, after much deliberating between a Master's and a doctorate, I have decided on going for the PhD to eventually teach at the university level.

With that being said, I guess I should have looked into schools that weren't R1...

Some of my professors have made significant marks on my life, and I want to be able to do the same for others someday.

We all have been inspired by someone - and I want to go on to be that someone for others! Not as a stodgy undergrad-hating prof, but one who lives "love what you do and do what you love"

• 3 months later...

I'm one of those people, but I have to walk a fine line in my dept. There's definitely a favoritism towards research, as the university is an R1. There are profs in the dept who are more teachers than researchers, but it seems that they are treated as the black sheep of the dept.

I'm wondering if there are any members on the boards who are leaning towards pedagogy rather than research, and what tips or advice they have to get through this PhD in one piece. I've been told I need to learn to like research, which I honestly intend to do, but to also keep my interests in teaching on the "down low".

God I hope this doesn't start a research vs. teaching flamefest.

I know it's been a few months since you posted, but hopefully my opinion will still be useful! I'm a PhD student in Education at a very research-oriented university in Canada. Teachers/researchers... you can't really be employed in a Faculty of Education without being both! I have to demonstrate teaching experience and ability as much as I demonstrate my ability to get published and conduct formal research. I'd suggest that you take some courses in your Education faculty, or talk to the grad advisor in that faculty about opportunities that might be relevant and useful for you. Speaking from experience, there's no better teaching than "teaching future teachers!" It's nothing like teaching "regular" undergrad courses - you'll find yourself being challenged, but also appreciated by your students. I've been teaching Education undergrads now for 3 years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I just know that along with the teaching, *does* come an expectation of research - but they're not mutually exclusive.