Weekends

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to kill an entire day of waiting yesterday with the flu. It was fabulous! All I could do was be curled up in a little ball shivering and attempting to keep down tiny amounts of fluids. I even had to stay away from the gradcafe, because the thought of looking at a bright screen sent me into fits of nausea. Woo.

I was able to kill an entire day of waiting yesterday with the flu. It was fabulous! All I could do was be curled up in a little ball shivering and attempting to keep down tiny amounts of fluids. I even had to stay away from the gradcafe, because the thought of looking at a bright screen sent me into fits of nausea. Woo.

Glad you're feeling well enough to join us today!

Sundays are the hardest!

Fortunately I have a ski class (avalanche awareness) before work tomorrow and tuesday, so I won't be able to check my e-mail either day until about 9pm. That will save me from my obsessive "check every five minutes" routine.

But it's KILLING me that two of my schools had later deadlines (UBC February 7th and OSU at Feb 15th) and thus it means it'll be even later before I hear back...I thought it would be better once I heard back from the first school, but that's only made it worse.

Glad to know other people are stressing out too!! In a couple months it will all be over with.

I apologize to those of you who thought Sundays were safe, and thus were able to relax somewhat. I got an email at 4pm from a professor here at my current undergrad institution (I applied here for grad school, too). He says my file looks good, and wants to know if I consider them a top choice or a backup. I'm taking that as a good sign!

Sorry if I've ruined Sunday, though.

Well, I didn't expect to hear anything this soon, but now that I have one acceptance, with no mention of funding or when that's decided, I'm checking the results page like an addict. At least it's an acceptance, I know; without their top funding it's not going to do me any good though.

I just started a fairly intense new job so I haven't had this barfy nervous feeling for weeks. It's back now.

Some friends came from out of town this weekend, so that was really distracting :) Otherwise, apart from work, I'm cooking a lot, watching a lot of movies with one of my roommates, and writing cover letters for stuff unrelated to grad school (I wish I was done with all that!). Keeps me busy enough.

I HATE weekends. Federpete, let us know what you think of TEFL. Where would you teach next year?

TEFL was really good fun actually. The guy teaching it was brilliant and I wish he'd been teaching me when I was at school studying French or Spanish (or now for Arabic)! Really practical learning techniques, totally different to other teaching styles I've encountered before and tailored specifically to language learning which was really interesting.

If I was teaching I'd probably split my time between Jordan, Palestine, Egypt and maybe Lebanon - all to try and get my Arabic up to a passable standard. Then I'd try and get into something a bit more political/community related to get some relevant experience while out there :)

Hey, I got food poisoning this weekend. Unfortunately it hit before my 6-hour drive back home started, so you can imagine how fun that was. I hope you feel better, t_ruth. Misery loves company, but I don't think I'm good company for anyone right now. Ick.

Hey, I got food poisoning this weekend. Unfortunately it hit before my 6-hour drive back home started, so you can imagine how fun that was. I hope you feel better, t_ruth. Misery loves company, but I don't think I'm good company for anyone right now. Ick.

oh no! be very careful! last year when I got the flu I was pregnant and had been sick w/the pregnancy for months. I had to be admitted to the hospital for IV fluid infusion. Make sure you get enough to drink!

Completely opposite of what one would normally think, I have come to hate weekends. On a Saturday or Sunday, you may be free from work or class, but you are very, very unlikely to hear from a school, website update, email, phone, anything. That is two whole days of worrying and stressing, all the while knowing you won't hear a darn thing until Monday. It's enough to drive a person to drink! And on top of that, and this is only in my case probably, tomorrow is Valentine's Day, which is worse if you don't have anyone to share it with... so I have a Valentine's Day weekend with no grad school info or date... where's that bottle of whiskey? ;)

Well riss287, I am keeping my fingers crossed that you find either a grad school acceptance or a new guy over the weekend - although I will put special emphasis on the former, as finding the latter first could cause complications in about 6 months or so. In the worst case scenario, I recommend using the whiskey to make a Manhattan or two. I'm addicted to those... figuratively speaking. :wink: