Weekends

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent about an hour looking up funded PhDs in the UK, just in case I get no offers from the US. This is, I suppose, my plan B. I'm not sure when to actually apply to these places, I might wait till the end of February or so, they're rolling apps.

I just spent about an hour looking up funded PhDs in the UK, just in case I get no offers from the US. This is, I suppose, my plan B. I'm not sure when to actually apply to these places, I might wait till the end of February or so, they're rolling apps.

I gave up on the same plan coz of difficulty finding funding - all the programmes I saw only commonly fund UK/EU students. If you've found a database or list of funders, would you mind sharing?

I gave up on the same plan coz of difficulty finding funding - all the programmes I saw only commonly fund UK/EU students. If you've found a database or list of funders, would you mind sharing?

http://www.findaphd.com

Go to Search Help and look at what the funding images mean. Basically you are looking for anything with a D in it, meaning Directly funded (you can sort your search results by funding type). There are still even some 4-year PhD programs being offered, but there are also lots of directly funded plain old PhDs. I found good ones at some VERY good universities and only one of them has an actual deadline. One of them (at Warwick) is actually funded for non-UK EU students, which is my status. Your success in finding a directly funded PhD obviously depends heavily on what you are looking to study.

I'll ask my supervisor for advice as for when to apply for those.. it might be a good idea to do so straight away and if I get an offer I can stall replying to it until I start hearing from the US.

Another weekend is here. Which means, at least two more days since we will hear anything. At least, this weekend will not be capped with two more days off. :)

I have been thinking about not visiting the forum until mid March. I did ask a friend yesterday to password block thegradcafe on IE and Mozilla. He said that as an adult I should be able to show restraint and keep myself away from this forum if I decided. Ha, ha. He's funny.

I have been thinking about not visiting the forum until mid March...

Why would you do that?!?! If we don't maintain some type of quorum, all the fun goes. Everyone would be forced to handle their anxiety like mature adults because there would be no-one around who understands. Worse still, we'd all be productively achieving things in the non-applications parts of our lives.

Do you really want to be responsible for that sort of carnage?

The apps for the schools I applied to only started getting reviewed about a week ago. So my nervousness, anxiety, paranoia is premature and unwarranted at this point. So it also has no boundaries between weekday/weekend.

linden, I was sooooo reluctant to join this forum, but I think it actually makes me less anxious, because it spares me from flipping out about schools I haven't heard from that (I now know) no one else has heard from either. Like, UC Davis said on the phone that they'd be in touch within a week or two, and it's now been two weeks and they haven't been in touch, but I know they haven't been in touch with anybody, so instead of assuming I didn't get in and feeling all down, I know they just don't have their act together. Which is better.

(Or so I tell myself.)

I save all my homework for the weekend so I stay busy. The worst is having nothing to do! Knowing I'm not actually going to hear anything yet doesn't help all that much...

I actually received something in the mail today! I had already received an email that was "regarding your acceptance," so I had assumed, lol, but the official letter came today. It was marked very boldly on the outside "Official Acceptance." My husband joked that the school instituted this policy after losing too many promising candidates to heart attack :P

I actually received something in the mail today! I had already received an email that was "regarding your acceptance," so I had assumed, lol, but the official letter came today. It was marked very boldly on the outside "Official Acceptance." My husband joked that the school instituted this policy after losing too many promising candidates to heart attack :P

UGA?

yes, sorry, University of Georgia. I feel I should add another results posting about it since their notifications do come in the mail, not email, but I don't want to double post. Should I?

yeah. wish I could delete the other one, since it is more useful to know that they send letters w/the big statement on the outside (they come from the grad school, not the department)

So the funny thing about UGA is that my school's post office had actually pasted something over that "Official Acceptance" thing on the outside of the envelope. So I actually didn't know it was an acceptance until I opened it.

Congrats! And GOOOOO DAWGS, sic' em, woof woof woof woof woof!

I wish all schools did that so there was no 3 seconds of anxiety while viciously tearing open the envelope.

I actually like my last few moments of hope and anticipation before opening that envelope. And I've had both rejections and acceptances in the past, so that hasn't marred my feeling. While waiting for the results of my MA application, I used to keep a bottle of scotch in the bathroom closet, and each time I'd receive mail from the school (I received 2 envelopes from them prior to their acceptance letter) I'd run into the bathroom, lock the door, and rip open the envelope. I was comforted knowing that if it contained bad news, I could run a hot bath and dull the pain a bit with the single malt without having to face anyone.

I actually like my last few moments of hope and anticipation before opening that envelope. And I've had both rejections and acceptances in the past, so that hasn't marred my feeling. While waiting for the results of my MA application, I used to keep a bottle of scotch in the bathroom closet, and each time I'd receive mail from the school (I received 2 envelopes from them prior to their acceptance letter) I'd run into the bathroom, lock the door, and rip open the envelope. I was comforted knowing that if it contained bad news, I could run a hot bath and dull the pain a bit with the single malt without having to face anyone.

Lol...hopefully pregasauraus doesn't mean you are a pregnant dinosaur like the name suggests! ;-) Or at least not at the time you were malting in the bath. :lol: