any "what are you going to do now" fantasies?

katanianQ

Just one acceptance is all I need. My girlfriend and I are going to quit our jobs and take a 3 week road trip from Winnipeg to St. John's, visiting my old university friends and stomping grounds.

We're doing something very similar to this. I plan to quit my job early so we can drive around the USA and maybe also do part of the Appalachian Trail, then we'll come home and start packing to move.

We're doing something very similar to this. I plan to quit my job early so we can drive around the USA and maybe also do part of the Appalachian Trail, then we'll come home and start packing to move.

Jealous! I'll likely have to defend my thesis and move countries the same week that I start at whatever uni I end up at :(

My plan in this vein, IF I get in anywhere, is to spend about a month closing out all my current clients (equivalent of giving notice at a real job), then put my student loans in deferred status, pack my rucksack, put everything else in storage, fly to Paris and walk the Cami

I'm jealous of those who can afford to go on long road trips. I live pay check to pay check, so that's pretty much out of the question. What I am thinking about doing though is selling everything I own and living in a foreign country (India, somewhere in Latin America etc) for as long as possible unti school starts. I have a doggie though, so I would need to find someone to watch her for a few months. Easier said than done :wink:

Oh, and since I started this whole process I seem to be drinking much much more, so a bottle of champagne doesn't seem too appealing. Something tells me I'll be three sheets to the wind the night I get (IF) my first acceptance anyway.

I'm jealous of those who can afford to go on long road trips. I live pay check to pay check, so that's pretty much out of the question.

Oh, I can't afford to take that trip. I'm just going to anyway. I'm lucky that I have the ability to make a small amount of money on the road, as long as I can get to an internet cafe every couple days. Not a lot mind you, but summer in Europe is mild enough that sleeping outdoors isn't that bad.

So if/when the much anticipated letter of acceptance to your dream school with full funding arrives, what's the first thing you will do?

First I will babble about how great life will be there and try to convince my SO to follow me.

Then I will unwind completely by doing something totally worthless and extremely fun for a couple days.

Then I will start planning my post-graduation trip to Asia! My other head-in-the-clouds dream for this year.

Berkeley was the one school on my list I was positive I wasn't going to get into, and was wrong.

I am from a small town in the midwest, went to school in New England, and currently live in Manhattan. The last place on the planet I ever thought I would live was California. Yesterday it was unseasonably warm and beautifully sunny in New York, and the weather was what I imagine the late winters/early spring in the East Bay to be like. During my lunch break, I walked outside and had a short fantastical moment imagining that this was what going to school next year could feel like.

Berkeley was the one school on my list I was positive I wasn't going to get into, and was wrong.

I am from a small town in the midwest, went to school in New England, and currently live in Manhattan. The last place on the planet I ever thought I would live was California. Yesterday it was unseasonably warm and beautifully sunny in New York, and the weather was what I imagine the late winters/early spring in the East Bay to be like. During my lunch break, I walked outside and had a short fantastical moment imagining that this was what going to school next year could feel like.

Congratulations! I think that Berkeley is a beautiful city to live and study in at all times of the year. :) It's been rainy the past few days, and I love seeing the eucalyptus groves and Lawrence Berkeley Lab shrouded in mist (instead of drenched in the usual sunshine).

My dream school is Teachers College, Columbia, so I've been dreaming of living in Manhattan. I'm so excited for falling snow (!), hehe...

Congratulations! I think that Berkeley is a beautiful city to live and study in at all times of the year. :) It's been rainy the past few days, and I love seeing the eucalyptus groves and Lawrence Berkeley Lab shrouded in mist (instead of drenched in the usual sunshine).

My dream school is Teachers College, Columbia, so I've been dreaming of living in Manhattan. I'm so excited for falling snow (!), hehe...

I live near Columbia now--it's a wonderful area. Good luck.

I had an unhealthy obsession with Berkeley for a while. I grew up in CA, a couple of hours south of the Bay Area (Monterey), and plan on moving back someday (when I finish grad school?). I didn't apply there because the one I/O faculty in their psych department is moving to administration elsewhere in the university this fall.

It's mine too, now. It's driving me crazy that other programs in the school are making decisions, but apparently not mine yet. :( I've heard their acceptance rate tends to be somewhat higher than many other universities (due to their relative lack of funding?) so I'm feeling positive about it.

Every place I applied gets a lot of snow. That was a prerequisite for me. I've missed it terribly for the last several years.

Oh man I'm so terrified about the idea of snow. I've lived in California my whole life and am really disappointed that I may end up having to deal with actual seasons.

I really am not sure how much I can give up going out to the beach in a t-shirt at the middle of the night in January.... you know, not to overly support a stereotype of California. I just happen to actually live in a part of California that this type of thing is actually possible. (UCSD is really nice.)

Oh man I'm so terrified about the idea of snow. I've lived in California my whole life and am really disappointed that I may end up having to deal with actual seasons.

Don't be terrified! Seasons are lovely! I don't know where all you've applied, but if you've never seen a real autumn, New England has the nicest ones in the world. And most California folks I know who were once scared of winter got over it the first time they tried snow tubing, and then became rabid winter sports enthusiasts with all the zeal of the convert.

Don't be terrified! Seasons are lovely! I don't know where all you've applied, but if you've never seen a real autumn, New England has the nicest ones in the world. And most California folks I know who were once scared of winter got over it the first time they tried snow tubing, and then became rabid winter sports enthusiasts with all the zeal of the convert.

Eh. Not all of us.

I spent two years in New England, didn't like it, came back. :lol:

I am going out to celebrate. Then I'm going to start collecting boxes and get my stuff packed as fast as is humanly possible! Give me the first plane ride out of here, baby. I'm ready to go!

I originally had a top choice, but then I developed a close second and third...and then I got positive feedback from both the second and third...and now I don't think I'm really that interested in the first anymore! Go figure.

I really am not sure how much I can give up going out to the beach in a t-shirt at the middle of the night in January.... you know, not to overly support a stereotype of California. I just happen to actually live in a part of California that this type of thing is actually possible. (UCSD is really nice.)

I'm in EXACTLY the opposite position: I live in the middle of nowhere in the frozen Northeast, and now I have an acceptance to UCSD, and...okay, I know I love the sun, and I know I wouldn't complain about being nice and warm all year...but it would be hard to leave the East. I also love having all the seasons different; it keeps them all feeling new and exciting. The autumns out here are just resplendent. Sublime. Exquisite. Futher. Synonyms. I'd really miss those if I moved to California. But we'll see. I could always come back later, right? There'd probably still be seasons here.

I've met lots of Californians out here, and they've had all sorts of reactions to the cold. Some of them love it because it's a novelty and it's refreshing. Others hate it because...well, it's cold. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, so I've had to get used to it as well (all I knew of winter growing up was rain, pretty much), and I have to say it's not nearly as bad as I'd expected.