Consent form?

robot_hamster

I am working on a project that will require personal interviews. I was told that if I wanted to use it in the future (e.g. in a thesis, conference, etc), then I need IRB approval. I am currently at a stand still because the form wants you to upload files like the consent form you plan to use. I have never done something like this before and I am very confused as to what I should do. Is there a place where someone can get a generic form? I have looked all over the IRB website for my school and cannot find anything.

I'd say you probably need to talk to some of your faculty- if anyone else has done something vaguely similar, they'll have had to go through the IRB approval process, and as such would have the forms they used.

My job is actually preparing IRB submissions. Your best bet would be to Google "[X University] IRB." Many research university IRBs have all of their templates online and available for download. Note that there are different requirements (and hence different templates, if available) for social/behavioral research and medical research, so if templates are available, make sure you download the correct one (otherwise you may see "HIPAA Authorization" and things that just don't apply to you). If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

Edited by TypeA

My IRB has sample forms online too. They can be idiosyncratic from institution to institution, but in case it's helpful this is what mine requires:

• Investigators' contact info.
  • Invitation to participate in study and a few sentences describing the study's purposes and procedures in lay language.
  • Statement that participation is voluntary and consent may be withdrawn at any time without penalty or loss of remuneration.
  • Statement that participant may decline to answer any question.
  • List of any risks associated with participation.
  • Statements describing how confidentiality/anonymity will be ensured and procedures for data storage/dissemination.
  • Contact information for IRB

That's probably enough to get you started even if the specific wording is unique to your university.