The American SIS Fall 2012 Thread

Where else did you apply. Also, if you're not too bitter.. stats?

I applied to SAIS, SIPA, Georgetown MSFS, GW Elliott School, the Fletcher School, NYU, Michigan Ford School (the only MPP I applied to). So, not really any "safety" schools but I don't want to go to a safety school. Worse case, I'll re-apply next year.

I'm more disappointed than bitter, as starting this two-week period on a positive note would've been ideal. Oh well. Here they are:

GPA: 3.5

GRE V/Q/AW: 167/159/4.0 (I was shocked at the 4.0! I'm generally a good writer...)

3.5 years experience with a federal contractor

I think that's decent enough at least.

I applied to SAIS, SIPA, Georgetown MSFS, GW Elliott School, the Fletcher School, NYU, Michigan Ford School (the only MPP I applied to). So, not really any "safety" schools but I don't want to go to a safety school. Worse case, I'll re-apply next year.

I'm more disappointed than bitter, as starting this two-week period on a positive note would've been ideal. Oh well. Here they are:

GRE V/Q/AW: 167/159/4.0 (I was shocked at the 4.0! I'm generally a good writer...)

Did you take a look at ETS' website about what they want? They are very specific in what they want. I'm not a great writer but I think I received 5.5 because I met all the things they asked for. ETS also publishes all the possible essay questions on their website. There is something like 200 of them though.

Did you take a look at ETS' website about what they want? They are very specific in what they want. I'm not a great writer but I think I received 5.5 because I met all the things they asked for. ETS also publishes all the possible essay questions on their website. There is something like 200 of them though.

Yeah, I did the same. Not the most interesting thing on the planet, but I simply followed the formula that they want. You know, thesis, reason 1, reason 2, reason 3, conclusion. Very specific reasons/examples, and not putting any opinion whatsover in that analytical one. It's hard as an English major to write like that, but it got me a 5.5....

Your background is not too different from mine. I am surprised you were rejected (although I didn't apply to American but have acceptances from similar places like GPPI and Trachtenberg). Possibly your SOP was lacking in some way? I feel like it's the most important part of an application and a rushed or flawed SOP can really hurt you, while a great one that clearly articulates your reasons for going to grad school can make the adcom overlook a lot of your flaws.

I dont think it has something to do with the GRE... My GRE is way lower than yours... V/Q/AW: 155/155/3.5 but I got in.. My GPA is the same at 3.5..

And while we're in this topic, how big deal the GRE is for an admission?

For those reading this getting ready to apply for next year: I think my biggest weakness was my SOP - the word count for SIS's SOP was twice as long as all the others I wrote and I was so burnt out when I wrote it that I definitely didn't give it my all. Oh well, lesson learned.

Your stats look great. I would bet that- by your own admission- your SOP may have been the deciding factor. I infer by your comment about it being twice as long as the others that you had to add a lot into the SOP that wasn't in your previous SOPs and that due to being burned out by so many apps you may have not revised and edited it as carefully. Multiple typos, not answering the prompt, rambling, etc could have contributed to a weaker SOP than your other ones.

That is good news though, right? Meaning that the rest of your profile is great and you probably submitted stronger SOPs to your other schools. We all have applications that are stronger for some schools than others, and I bet that yours to your other schools are stronger. Bummer that the American result came first, but I bet good news is on its way :)

ugh I'm sorry that happened to you, but there's nothing wrong with your stats. I bet you'll get in somewhere. I was actually kind of worried about the SIS app because I didn't do the optional essay due to the super-long length of the mandatory SOP. I know I definitely felt like the last application or two I turned in were not my best.

Yep, so I received a response to my email confirming my funding (or lack thereof) and it doesn't look like I'll be getting any more. Sending in the form declining the offer today.

Thanks for all the encouragement! It helps to keep me positive.

I definitely think it was my SOP that got me, and certainly there are some that I wrote that were stronger than the others - probably correlates to how much I like the program. In hindsight, choosing to apply to 8 schools was too many. I would've been better off only applying to those programs I really liked so that I could focus more on those applications. It's easy to underestimate how much time those applications take.

As for my GRE AW score, I focused more on studying for the V/Q sections since I knew those were my biggest weaknesses. I did study for the AW section, but I should've done more practice essays and read the prompts on the ETS website. If I have to reapply next year I'll consider retaking it.

Yep, so I received a response to my email confirming my funding (or lack thereof) and it doesn't look like I'll be getting any more. Sending in the form declining the offer today.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you ask them? Was it something along the lines of "will more funding opportunities open up for those who have already been accepted in the weeks to come?"

Basically following the assumption that as more people (who did receive funding) decline their offer, the department will then offer that money to applicants who initially received little-to-no funding.

It's easy to underestimate how much time those applications take.

Ain't that the truth? I spent *months* on my SOP, and more time than I would care to admit researching departments and faculty. I'm glad I put in that much time, but it kind of took over my life for a bit there (whereas right now, gradcafe is, haha)

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you ask them? Was it something along the lines of "will more funding opportunities open up for those who have already been accepted in the weeks to come?"

Basically following the assumption that as more people (who did receive funding) decline their offer, the department will then offer that money to applicants who initially received little-to-no funding.

I asked to confirm that my only funding was my PC Fellowship, and she said yes. I agree that it's *possible* that funding may open up in the future, I honestly find it rather unlikely that I would then get enough to make it worth it. I received good funding at Gtown and LBJ, so AU would have to find a lot of money for me to attend. I told myself from the get-go I wouldn't pay a ton for this degree, since I won't be making a lot of money in the future!

I asked if there was any chance of more aid coming out and they said no (I was basically offered $5,000 and $20,000 in unsubsidized loans). At least they're honest.

I asked if there was any chance of more aid coming out and they said no (I was basically offered $5,000 and $20,000 in unsubsidized loans). At least they're honest.

I did not even have those listed in my financial aid. Did you sign a MPN already? Maybe I'm missing something?

I asked to confirm that my only funding was my PC Fellowship, and she said yes. I agree that it's *possible* that funding may open up in the future, I honestly find it rather unlikely that I would then get enough to make it worth it. I received good funding at Gtown and LBJ, so AU would have to find a lot of money for me to attend. I told myself from the get-go I wouldn't pay a ton for this degree, since I won't be making a lot of money in the future!

We may both end up at Georgetown!

I will probably be there too! Georgetown has been my top choice since I was a junior in undergrad. Unless I get into SAIS with great funding (unlikely) or I get into WWS (even more unlikely) I will be there in the fall :D

Edited by charlotte_asia

I will probably be there too! Georgetown has been my top choice since I was a junior in undergrad. Unless I get into SAIS with great funding (unlikely) or I get into WWS (even more unlikely) I will be there in the fall :D

I love how an American SIS thread semi-turned into an "I'm going to Georgetown" thing ;)

Thanks Charlotte! :)

Just throwing in a question to the forum...wondering if this is the right thread.. but please direct me to another if it doesn't suit here..

Given the option between Josef Korbel School of International Affairs (Uni of Denver) and American SIS ... any ideas on which would be the better option and why? (not considering the funding here.. just the program and state) ...

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Charlotte! :)

Just throwing in a question to the forum...wondering if this is the right thread.. but please direct me to another if it doesn't suit here..

Given the option between Josef Korbel School of International Affairs (Uni of Denver) and American SIS ... any ideas on which would be the better option and why? (not considering the funding here.. just the program and state) ...

any help would be appreciated!

I think most people would say SIS because of the location.

Rejected. Not even wait listed. I'm pretty devastated; I've been living in Japan for the past 3.5 years and I was hoping to get into the SIS/Ritsumeikan University dual degree program. I even visited the campus this past summer and met with the person in charge of the program. What's worse, I waiting to hear back from schools that are more difficult to enter than SIS. Ugh.