The American SIS Fall 2012 Thread

I got my acceptance into the EPGA program :) I'm not sure about overall financial aid, but I was given an SIS Peace Corps Fellowship, which covers 3 credits tuition remission. I'm pretty excited, although likely won't go unless my financial aid package is better.

On that note, I don't feel like I understand the financial aid stuff on the website. I created an account and did everything, but it's showing nothing right now. How is it showing up for those who have gotten funding?

On that note, I don't feel like I understand the financial aid stuff on the website. I created an account and did everything, but it's showing nothing right now. How is it showing up for those who have gotten funding?

It was in my acceptance letter, paragraph 2. So I logged onto AppYourself and it was in the decision letter.

I really hope that my financial aid just hasn't come out yet. It really sucks having only the capstone fellowship.

I know - it's like a teaser... here's a little bit of money to cover our crazy high tuition. Bet you wish you had more. Mwahaha!

Finally have a response - thank you American! Accepted into the MA-ID program with a sweet financial package. Will be difficult to say no to this, but am waiting for Elliot, Georgetown, SAIS, SIPA, and Harvard MPP (reach). Really hope they start responding soon...the anxiety has actually increased now that I've heard back from somewhere!

I visited all 4 DC schools (AU, GW, Georgetown, and SAIS) and found AU to be the most "personable", although it was summer so presumably the faculty and staff were not as busy as they are during the semester. Two very good friends of mine did the MA-ID from AU and were generally happy with it. If I get accepted into anywhere else, it's really going to come down to the money - AU's giving me full tuition and a 15k/year stipend through a research assistantship. I won't be able to afford more thank around 10k tuition + living costs, so even if I get in I likely won't be able to go anywhere else. So again, thank you AU!

Finally have a response - thank you American! Accepted into the MA-ID program with a sweet financial package. Will be difficult to say no to this, but am waiting for Elliot, Georgetown, SAIS, SIPA, and Harvard MPP (reach). Really hope they start responding soon...the anxiety has actually increased now that I've heard back from somewhere!

I visited all 4 DC schools (AU, GW, Georgetown, and SAIS) and found AU to be the most "personable", although it was summer so presumably the faculty and staff were not as busy as they are during the semester. Two very good friends of mine did the MA-ID from AU and were generally happy with it. If I get accepted into anywhere else, it's really going to come down to the money - AU's giving me full tuition and a 15k/year stipend through a research assistantship. I won't be able to afford more thank around 10k tuition + living costs, so even if I get in I likely won't be able to go anywhere else. So again, thank you AU!

Congratulations! Pretty much exactly the same package I got offered. 20hrs a week assistantship. There goes my newly re-found personal life ;)

Also I confirm that the decision HAS NOT appeared on my VIP page yet, only the official AppYourself page. So that's where you want to be checking.

Edited by fenderpete

Thanks fenderpete, and many congrats to you too! Looks like we've applied to a lot of the same places...good luck with everywhere else!

I can also confirm that the VIP page (the existence of which just adds to my overall confusion) has not been updated.

I've been refreshing my VIP Page and AppYourself Page for hours...

I just rechecked and the AY page definitely looks different in the past couple hours. No y/n but the bar along the lefthand side now just reads "Message Center" instead of "Downloadable Documents" etc.

Yay for tweaking out about this and the other 6 for the next three weeks!

I just rechecked and the AY page definitely looks different in the past couple hours. No y/n but the bar along the lefthand side now just reads "Message Center" instead of "Downloadable Documents" etc.

Yay for tweaking out about this and the other 6 for the next three weeks!

Yes my AY page also shows the "Message Center"... the same also goes with my AY page for SIPA dan SAIS.

Oh man!

I'm wondering if acceptances are going out by program? I applied for an MA in International Politics and haven't heard anything. What programs did other folks who have yet to hear anything apply for?

It seems we have a lot of acceptances on this board and a lot of great aid packages. Congratulations everyone!

I thought I couldn't see my funding because it was NOT listed on the right sidebar like the acceptance letter said it would be. However, I found it myself after a few minutes of looking from the dropdown menu at the top of the page. Just the $4,100 as well. And 20K in direct fed loans. Ew.

Edited by rose1

I thought I couldn't see my funding because it was NOT listed on the right sidebar like the acceptance letter said it would be. However, I found it myself after a few minutes of looking from the dropdown menu at the top of the page. Just the $4,100 as well. And 20K in direct fed loans. Ew.

Yeah, it's just not going to to cut it. I really liked AU's program, but I'm not paying that much money for it. Kinda puts a damper on the initial "awesome! I got in!" experience. :P

Congratulations! I got the same offer, and for the MA-ID. I am visiting AU tomorrow for a bit. Are your friends who got the MA-ID degree on gradcafe? I would love to talk to someone who has been through the program. I've got a tough decision to make between AU and another school, and any advice would be much appreciated.

I applied to the International Econ Relations MA and haven't heard either. How am I supposed to concentrate at work knowing any second now that "Inbox (1)" could be the answer!?!

I applied to the U.S. Foreign Policy and am still waiting. I haven't seen anyone from that specialization post yet, so hope remains.

I am surprised at some of the poor funding offers to the super qualified candidates, some with a full ride to Gtown... and then minimal at AU. People had told me that AU was a bit of an enigma in terms of acceptances and funding, and I guess it is proving again for 2012.

I applied to the U.S. Foreign Policy and am still waiting. I haven't seen anyone from that specialization post yet, so hope remains.

I am surprised at some of the poor funding offers to the super qualified candidates, some with a full ride to Gtown... and then minimal at AU. People had told me that AU was a bit of an enigma in terms of acceptances and funding, and I guess it is proving again for 2012.

AU - US Foreign Policy candidate here as well and have not heard anything. It looks like a number of other folks who applied to SIS have heard back though. Nail biting time . . .

AU - US Foreign Policy candidate here as well and have not heard anything. It looks like a number of other folks who applied to SIS have heard back though. Nail biting time . . .

I'm also in that boat. Unfortunately it seems as though all of my programs are low on the "letting their people know as soon as possible" list.

I'm also in that boat. Unfortunately it seems as though all of my programs are low on the "letting their people know as soon as possible" list.

What programs did you apply for at Elliott and Georgtown? SPS and SSP?