The calm of organization

LLajax

Just something more "fun". Okay, maybe not normal people fun, but people-who-are-obsessing-about-apps-fun:

So, in order to channel my obsessing about applications into something helpful/good, I have created an intense Excel spreadsheet (a place to put my color-coding skills to use!). It is a nifty place where I can keep everything handy (login codes, ETS codes, max page limits for writing samples, and also part checklist (Part 1 of App X? Done. Check. I get the satisfaction of highlighting it a different color).

Anyone else have a crazed organizational system? Sharing organization schemes? If you want one, I can share!

Yep, right there with you with excel spreadsheets, which has been surprisingly helpful! I actually consult it regularly, which is much easier than looking at a file or checking the school website.

I have one too! I'm have all the parts of the application in different cells, and I'm changing the color based on how much progress I've made on them. I really... love... organizing stuff on spreadsheets :(

I actually love this thread, because it makes me feel like I am not the only one doing all of this prep work for my applications. I have gone as far as keeping a spreadsheet of when I notified recs., when I sent them reminder emails, and when I know recs are completed for each program. I am doing the same thing with transcripts, GRE scores, and misc. materials sent by mail and/or online. I think I am like everyone else on here and it makes me feel less stressed about the whole process. This is definitely one of numerous files I almost always have open on my computer.

I have a binder where I keep a seperate section for each school with notes about what I am currently working on. I just spent the whole day meticulously examining most of my apps and making sure I have everything covered, and now I have notes in each section about what is already done, what needs to be done yet, etc. I also have a general "to do" list where I can have the satisfaction of crossing things off as they get done. I also have neatly organized files on my computer with a seperate folder for each school to keep SOP's, additional essays, resumes/cv's,etc.

I wouldn't exactly consider my methods OCD or anything...some of my notes are not very neat and there's a mess of papers that I haven't sorted through. I would label myself "messy organized" in that my organizational style doesn't appear to be so, but it makes sense to me. haha.

I made a spreadsheet too but I uploaded it into a google doc. I don't think I can overstate how awesome google docs has been for working on apps. I uploaded my working drafts of all of my personal statements so that I can work on them at both home and work and not have to worry about what version is more current. I also store the login info for all my various apps so that I can check on things from anywhere. The best part is that it saves EVERYTHING automatically. No more worries about losing edits if your computer crashes because your document is safe in the cloud. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who's applying.

• 2 weeks later...

I used google doc/ spreadsheets to help me figure out what schools to apply to. I am still using them to help me keep track of what I need to get done by the deadlines, but am being slightly OCD at this point about that. But I think that is because I am doing things for the applications so much sooner then they are due, and because I have already done so much research on the schools.