First!

Lurker here who wanted to say thanks to the community for helping work myself into a frenzy waiting for my letter. My letter just arrived. I was successful with a score of 18.5 out of 30.

Now to try and anticipate some of the questions some of you might be interested in:

According to the letter there were 1912 applications of which 955 were successful. I applied to the committee that includes communications, though, I forget the number/title of that committee. I am finishing my second second year at Carleton in communications. I have a handful of conference presentations, mostly at student conferences. No publications. Lots of TA and RA experience. Strong enough grades (all a and a+ in grad school). I also had a really strong proposal. We have a CRC in our department who has sat on the selection committee in previous years who helped me revise my proposal and wrote one of my letters for me (she is AWESOME and might get a present). I had an OGS in my MA and have some good awards from my school, though, I had never had a sshrc go past my department before and have no other external awards in my phd. There is also a significant degree of luck in these things (OGS and sshrc have gone the other way for me the last couple years). Luck might even be the big one, so good luck to you all!

Edited by Cancomm

Please Mr. Postman look and see

you got a letter in your bag for me?”

(oh please) I been waiting a long long time

Since I heard from that SSHRCy of mine

There must be some word todayyeayea

From the SSHRCies so far away

Please Mr. Postman look and see

If there’s a letter a letter for me …

Waiyeayeayea Mr. Postman

What about now ... Hug now?

I'm in Ottawa (six blocks from the SSHRC office) and have an early mail delivery. Probably one of the first to receive their letter because of this.

Way to go to our first results poster! Nice to kick it all off with good news!

Anybody in GTA already get their mail? Im wondering if I'm wasting my time staring out the window for the mailman today.

Arhghg

And congrats, Cancomm!

No mail delivery in my building, yet. Or, if it has, then no letter today in Montreal. Not that I'm checking every few minutes, or anything.

My best friend just got her mail. Her letter arrived. We are in Montreal.

Gulp.

Was it positive news, at least?

Edited by Compoe

My best friend just got her mail. Her letter arrived. We are in Montreal.

I'm sort of glad you told us this... but sort of not. The real question is, do I change out of my sweatpants to go downstairs and check the mail? ;)

Congratulations, Cancomm!

My letter arrived in Waterloo. I was awarded CGS (score 21.15/30, 1907 applications adjudicated, 1085 awards offered). But since I won a Vanier, I will be declining - which means movement on the waitlists!

Just got the CGS here in Montreal! My score was 26.6 out of 30! I am going to Columbia in NYC though, so I'll have to downgrade to 20,000 for four years, but that is fine as Columbia is also giving me amazing funding for five full years! I am on the moon!

MA SSHRC

research in Germany (fluent in German and French)

three graduate publications

4.0 undergraduate GPA

4.17 graduate GPA

Two TAships

Two RAships

3 internal awards from my university

Lots of hard work :)

Well I guess it was a good idea to go down and check the mail!

I was successful with a 25.8/30, with funding for one year. I'm finishing the third year of a fast-track PhD program, so I'm hoping there might be a way to get an extra year of funding (since they say they don't count the first year in a fast-track).

Details about my application: pretty decent transcripts for BA and PhD (A-/A average), one conference presentation, a lot of TA/RA experience, a consultancy position with a US research organization that's big in my field, no major (federal/provincial) awards previously, no publications at the time of application, and a proposal that had been re-worked two years in a row. I've had my application ranked highly at the department level and out of the university each time, so I think it's a lot of luck - third time's the charm for me, I guess!

Good luck to everyone!

ETA- I'm in Montreal.

Edited by CassandraC

Seems like the only mail I'll be getting today (in Montreal) is a mailing from my local MP. Great.

Damn you, Irwin Cotler!

Edited by Compoe