NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Wow it might be close! For 2010/2011, 23/289 (8%) success rate for NSERC's share of Banting!

The difference is, the quality of the applications submitted to banting are all high so 8% can be very tricky there. Anyways assuming every banting award winner applied to NSERC too, this means 23 of the people from the waitlist are going to get PDF. So the success rate in the PDF waitlist is around 50% :P (I did all this to get a high percentage number for something related to PDF :) )

COngratulations for all sucessful PDF application and Hard luck for the others

In plan, i want to do a post doc to get after that a professor position in a university. After reading this topis, i think I changed my mind ..... Fuck PDF.

I got my PDF rejection yesterday. So embarrassing. I do not understand why they could not give the evaluation with the letter.

My record (Finishing my Phd in three years):

Publications: 7 first authors publications (impact factor not so high but good enough in materials engineering), several 2nd and 3rd author publications.

Oral presentations: 10 international conferences (3 best oral presentation awards)

Leadship: Organized conferences, Key readers of three jounals etc....

I will not have chance to apply any NSERC PDF fellowship since this was my second time and I will accept a PDF offer from another university.

Anyway, good luck everyone.

So so so so sorry to hear that, this was the life.

I got a rejection of my NSERC Banting

Publication: 25 first author journal articles (at least 50% of which with highest impact factor in my field ), one journal article received the most citation of all published articles for the recent three years, one was selected as a research highlight, one was the most downloaded article for a three months time period...

Oral presentations: 19 international conferences and national conferences

Leadership: editorial board of two journals (one journal has a very high impact factor in my field), ad hoc reviewer of more than 10 journals, reviewer of a famous funding body, an interview with the editor in chief of a journal

Honors: more than 10 honors including one from the EU

I am not doing cutting edge research, my research work is not fashionable either, the stupid NSERC reviewers love nanowire, love nanotechnology..., love nature articles, love science articles...

Edited by faming

Sorry to hear so many news of rejected aplications, it's indeed unbelievable that the keep decreasing thenumber of awarded PDFs! I'm still waiting on my letter!! Cannot believe this either! Why havn'e they decided to use electronic notifications! Ironic considering their apparent inclination to fund cutting edge projects...

does anyone which nserc email address to contact regarding feedback on an application? I emailed schol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca a while ago and still have not gotten a reply :S

You used the correct email address to contact NSERC regarding feedback on your application. In my case, a lady (Linda.Brown 'at' nserc-crsng.gc.ca) responded with a confirmation that they will send the feedback in June.

Edited by Ironmonkey66

I didn't get my letter too, so I called NSERC to ask how can I find the results if the letter got lost and she said to wait 2 more weeks and then to call NSERC for results if I don’t get the letter....

Mattbound - I guess give it until the ~24th and then call NSERC. They ask everyone to reply on the PGS/CGS results by May 1st, so they will tell you by phone I think at some point if you don't get the letter.

It will be alive as soon as waitlist people start getting letters :P

It will be alive as soon as waitlist people start getting letters :P

yeah. I am on the waitlist for CGS/PGS-D and I will be lurking around the first week of June. C u then

Hi Guys, I counted the number of PDF holders this year (2012) and found the total number of successful applications 49 (as of April 20, 2012) as fourty nine only!). Now I know why I was awarded Industrial R&D Fellowship instead of PDF. The IRDF fellowship does seem not bad as I thought earlier. All the best.

Hi Guys, I counted the number of PDF holders this year (2012) and found the total number of successful applications 49 (as of April 20, 2012) as fourty nine only!). Now I know why I was awarded Industrial R&D Fellowship instead of PDF. The IRDF fellowship does seem not bad as I thought earlier. All the best.

Hi winter2012, how did you calculate the number of PDF holders this year ? I believe the official results have not been posted on NSERC's website yet: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/nserc-crsng/fundingdecisions-decisionsfinancement/index_eng.asp

Somebody in this forum asked by telephone an NSERC agent about the number of PDF for this year competition (2012-2013), and she said around 100.

Hi winter2012, how did you calculate the number of PDF holders this year ? I believe the official results have not been posted on NSERC's website yet: http://www.nserc-crs...t/index_eng.asp

Somebody in this forum asked by telephone an NSERC agent about the number of PDF for this year competition (2012-2013), and she said around 100.

I agree, how did you find the list?

Hi winter2012, how did you calculate the number of PDF holders this year ? I believe the official results have not been posted on NSERC's website yet: http://www.nserc-crs...t/index_eng.asp

They have published list yesterday. Available online. Thanks.

I agree, how did you find the list?

Please search NSERC "Disclosure of Grants and Scholarship" in google, and find the list in PDF as well as in Excel. It lists only 49 PDF award holders. Thanks.

Thanks. But this is for last year not for this year. This is the scholarship distribution for Jan to March 2012.

You may be right, but interestingly, the PDF scholarship has been distributed as late as April 1, 2012.

In my IRDF letter, they mentioned that "Since you indicated an interest in the IRDF on your PDF application, your name and application information will be included in this inventory, posted on NSERC's Web site."

You may be right, but interestingly, the PDF scholarship has been distributed as late as April 1, 2012.

In my IRDF letter, they mentioned that "Since you indicated an interest in the IRDF on your PDF application, your name and application information will be included in this inventory, posted on NSERC's Web site."

Actually the date format is MM/DD/YYYY, so I believe it is meant to be January 4, 2012. But thanks anyway, it's still interesting info.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my response from NSERC, preapproved for IRDF:-(. Unfortunately I cannot take it here in US...

My letter went to an old address, so I contacted NSERC and send me the electronic copy.