NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I believe we have all right to call them and/or email them today, the notification should be mailed by March 31, Today is March 30 and going into a weekend, I believe they have an obligation to make the results available by today.

I tried many times... they did not anser.

I believe we have all right to call them and/or email them today, the notification should be mailed by March 31, Today is March 30 and going into a weekend, I believe they have an obligation to make the results available by today.

No, they don't need to notify us by tomorrow, they only need to mail the notification. It says on their website that they do not announce by email or phone, so you're wasting your (and their) time by doing so.

Also, it's not some sort of date written in stone where they get fined if they don't adhere to it, they set their own deadline.

I believe we have all rights to call and/or email them today, the notification deadline is March 31, Today is March 30 and going into a weekend, I believe they have an obligation to make the results available by today.

I'd be thankful that you are in the running to receive a lot of tax free money while being a student. We knew that the budget was late this year and they were waiting for it; it came out yesterday afternoon. The turn around will not be in 1 day.

No, they don't need to notify us by tomorrow, they only need to mail the notification. It says on their website that they do not announce by email or phone, so you're wasting your (and their) time by doing so.

Also, it's not some sort of date written in stone where they get fined if they don't adhere to it, they set their own deadline.

If they can not mail by today, I can not imagine how they will mail the notifications tomorrow, in the weekend. It's a government office!

When we write something on a website, it tells a lot and people involved rely on this. I know one or two days even a week of delayed notification is not problematic at all, at least for most of us, but there is a sense of mutual obligation since they won't allow us to submit an application after the deadline, no matter what happens to you.

If they can not mail by today, I can not imagine how they will mail the notifications tomorrow, in the weekend. It's a government office!

When we write something on a website, it tells a lot and people involved rely on this. I know one or two days even a week of delayed notification is not problematic at all, at least for most of us, but there is a sense of mutual obligation since they won't allow us to submit an application after the deadline, no matter what happens to you.

I understand that, but the budget announcement has severe implications on the number of awards they can hand out.

Mutual obligation or not, the delayed budget meant delayed announcement; if you want to contact the Prime Ministers Office with your concerns that their late budget announcement has made you lose hope on the NSERCs ability to process your application in a timely manner, by all means do so. Maybe next year they'll make sure that they announce the budget earlier so that you can find out if you're receiving your free scholarship money earlier.

NSERC should have posted online that decisions were coming late this year. While they might not be obligated to send out results on any deadline, it's common courtesy. They know that these awards are "life changers" for those involved, and that many people have important decisions to make. It would take NSERC a minimal amount of time to post a change to the notification to their website, there's really no excuse for this kind of behaviour -- and in fact, it's this kind of inefficiency that makes me think budgetary cuts to these departments are fully justified.

NSERC should have posted online that decisions were coming late this year. While they might not be obligated to send out results on any deadline, it's common courtesy. They know that these awards are "life changers" for those involved, and that many people have important decisions to make. It would take NSERC a minimal amount of time to post a change to the notification to their website, there's really no excuse for this kind of behaviour -- and in fact, it's this kind of inefficiency that makes me think budgetary cuts to these departments are fully justified.

People who have called and emailed them for the last month have always been told that they will mail the letters late March/Early April. I think they've been pretty clear on that. I understand that the late announcement is troublesome for everyone who have a deadline answering your university offers, but that's a fact of this situation that everyone is living with, and is common every year.

People who have called and emailed them for the last month have always been told that they will mail the letters late March/Early April. I think they've been pretty clear on that. I understand that the late announcement is troublesome for everyone who have a deadline answering your university offers, but that's a fact of this situation that everyone is living with, and is common every year.

All the more reason to have a more useful solution for everyone involved - instead of being ambiguous, or even misleading, about when results are being posted, why not communicate the reality of the situation up front in clear language? Why set everyone up with incorrect expectations from the start?

In other words, people are calling because NSERC has advertised that results are bring delivered on a timeline that they know they will not likely meet. How many phone calls and emails could they save by being honest up front? There's little reason to be sympathetic to the organization who's dug themselves into the hole.

I understand that, but the budget announcement has severe implications on the number of awards they can hand out.

Mutual obligation or not, the delayed budget meant delayed announcement; if you want to contact the Prime Ministers Office with your concerns that their late budget announcement has made you lose hope on the NSERCs ability to process your application in a timely manner, by all means do so. Maybe next year they'll make sure that they announce the budget earlier so that you can find out if you're receiving your free scholarship money earlier.

In the past, the notification did not really depend on the budget announcement. If you are interested, please follow this post from the last year,

Letter received on March, 21, 2011 budget tabled on March 22,2011.

I don't believe government organizations operate on a stand alone basis, that's why they were able to send the letter even before the budget announcement.

Free scholarship money are not really for free, committee evaluates the research potential of the applicants and how our studies will benefit Canada. Unless they are able to see this aspect in our applications, it is highly unlikely we will get this FREE scholarship money.

You work hard, you get the scholarship, and eventually it benefits Canada. This is an investment.

All the more reason to have a more useful solution for everyone involved - instead of being ambiguous, or even misleading, about when results are being posted, why not communicate the reality of the situation up front in clear language? Why set everyone up with incorrect expectations from the start?

In other words, people are calling because NSERC has advertised that results are bring delivered on a timeline that they know they will not likely meet. How many phone calls and emails could they save by being honest up front? There's little reason to be sympathetic to the organization who's dug themselves into the hole.

You're right, I honestly don't think they should have ever given a specific date (i.e. March 31st), because it makes them people harass them more than needed. Like other organisations, they should have given a range (you will be notified between March 15 and April 15), to be more flexible with things out of their control (i.e. delayed budget that they have no control at all on).

In talking about deadlines and noting when the applications are due and that we're stuck adhering to those deadlines, don't forget, NSERC does state, " If the deadline falls on a weekend or federal holiday, your application must reach NSERC by the following working day." Assuming a March 31st deadline for sending out the letters (i.e. ignoring the 23 week thing), if they're sticking to their own rules, then technically they don't need to send the letters 'til Monday.

In the past, the notification did not really depend on the budget announcement. If you are interested, please follow this post from the last year,

Letter received on March, 21, 2011 budget tabled on March 22,2011.

I don't believe government organizations operate on a stand alone basis, that's why they were able to send the letter even before the budget announcement.

Free scholarship money are not really for free, committee evaluates the research potential of the applicants and how our studies will benefit Canada. Unless they are able to see this aspect in our applications, it is highly unlikely we will get this FREE scholarship money.

You work hard, you get the scholarship, and eventually it benefits Canada. This is an investment.

This year can't be compared with last year, because this year it was clear that there were going to be HUGE cuts in the budget, more than last year, and the PMO were very tightlipped on which agencies were going to lose a lot this year.

I also understand that the scholarships are not free money. I was using that word sarcastically to make a point that people are whining that they're going to find out one or two days later than what they should have expected (send date March 31st is probably no possible, it will probably be Monday April 2nd). Everybody really need to chill out, drink a beer and eat nachos on a patio or something.

In talking about deadlines and noting when the applications are due and that we're stuck adhering to those deadlines, don't forget, NSERC does state, " If the deadline falls on a weekend or federal holiday, your application must reach NSERC by the following working day." Assuming a March 31st deadline for sending out the letters (i.e. ignoring the 23 week thing), if they're sticking to their own rules, then technically they don't need to send the letters 'til Monday.

That rule is for you and your application, nowhere does it say that they should adhere by that rule as well. That's your (erroneous/arrogant) assumption.

That rule is for you and your application, nowhere does it say that they should adhere by that rule as well. That's your (erroneous/arrogant) assumption.

I see no reason in defending NSERC, if you go to website such as NSF they are very organized and commit to deadlines, results are also posted online. So its a matter of work ethics and respecting your people.

I wasn't trying to be arrogant - I was trying to defend NSERC. Everyone is complaining that they're late... and I'm saying that their own rules state when a deadline falls on a weekend, it gets pushed to the Monday. Fine, it might not explicitly state this for the decision notification, but get real, do you really expect the government to be dropping letters in the mail on a Saturday??? I think not! Yeah, it does suck to not find out since the timing (at least for me) is critical, however in reality, I suspect the timing really isn't that critical for most (sure you're anxious... but does a couple of days matter? probably not for most applicants). Anyway, I'd rather it be late than never. That said, it would have been nice for NSERC to write something online (since only the people that harass them with emails find out extra info that us non-email sending folk aren't privy to). I'm sure if they could have sent the letters out, they would have. There is nothing we can do other than wait and be hopeful!

I see no reason in defending NSERC, if you go to website such as NSF they are very organized and commit to deadlines, results are also posted online. So its a matter of work ethics and respecting your people.

If they have offended your delicate nature, feel free to decline your award :D. Someone will gladly take it for you!

Guys,

Mon collegue a recu un courriel du CRSNG. Il lui demande de signer un formulaire pour permettre la divulgation des information et de retourner les informations.

Est ce que ca veut dire qqch ???

Lui il applique au PGS - M

My colleague has just received an email from NSERC. They ask him to sign a form to permit the disclosure of information and must return the document

What do you think that mean ??

He applies to PGS - M

It is because another applicant, likely his supervisor, wants to use him as an example of "students taught" on their application. It has nothing to do with the student's own application.

I wasn't trying to be arrogant - I was trying to defend NSERC. Everyone is complaining that they're late... and I'm saying that their own rules state when a deadline falls on a weekend, it gets pushed to the Monday. Fine, it might not explicitly state this for the decision notification, but get real, do you really expect the government to be dropping letters in the mail on a Saturday??? I think not! Yeah, it does suck to not find out since the timing (at least for me) is critical, however in reality, I suspect the timing really isn't that critical for most (sure you're anxious... but does a couple of days matter? probably not for most applicants). Anyway, I'd rather it be late than never. That said, it would have been nice for NSERC to write something online (since only the people that harass them with emails find out extra info that us non-email sending folk aren't privy to). I'm sure if they could have sent the letters out, they would have. There is nothing we can do other than wait and be hopeful!

We will make you a fundraising, and give you a scholarship for defending NSERC :-) Congrats.

Now can you imagine yourself submitting after the deadline ? would they have accepted your application ? Do you think they didn't know which day 31st of March is, when fixing the date ? Be realistic dude :-)

Anywhom, no need for drama, we'll all find out soon enough.

Have some of you heard back from your Uni applications? When are your deadlines to answer them?

It is because another applicant, likely his supervisor, wants to use him as an example of "students taught" on their application. It has nothing to do with the student's own application.

Are you sure of that ?