NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Would like to know from somebody on the PDF waiting list - was your position in the letter? I've emailed NSERC to ask where mine is, but I'm guessing if it wasn't in there I'm not high on the list?

yes, its says explicitly in the letter that you are in a wait list and if you get an email by June this means you got the award otherwise nothing. What was your stats?

Okay more people added to the short list club of PDF, I did not find anything on the web regarding our chance in getting the award in June!!!!

I know a friend of mine last year got out of the list. I do not know what was his rank. I guess in each category (e.g. electrical engineering) they shortlist 2-3 people and not more. That's just a guess.

Thank you. I had 4 published and 2 submitted papers in my PhD. 4 published papers prior to PhD study. I had my PGS-D3 in my PhD. I thought that my proposal was very powerful. The letter indicates that "because you have also indicated for IRDF.......". Not sure if that played any role in my selection or not ...". IRDF pre-approved and it will remain active until March 2014.

Thank you. I had 4 published and 2 submitted papers in my PhD. 4 published papers prior to PhD study. I had my PGS-D3 in my PhD. I thought that my proposal was very powerful. The letter indicates that "because you have also indicated for IRDF.......". Not sure if that played any role in my selection or not ...". IRDF pre-approved and it will remain active until March 2014.

Your profile looks very strong too me. If I compare my profile with yours then my application is not even worthy for IRDF :(.

Edited by silicon

I know a friend of mine last year got out of the list. I do not know what was his rank. I guess in each category (e.g. electrical engineering) they shortlist 2-3 people and not more. That's just a guess.

I am in ECE but I think there are already 3 more people in this forum from ECE in the short list, I guess upto 30 people are in the waitlist. Anyways my experience with NSERC wait list was good, i got waitlisted for NSERC-MSFSS and got it.

Your profile looks very strong too me. If I compare my profile with yours then my application is not even worthy for IRDF :(.

One of my references was not very powerful. That might have played some role in my nomination. Please hope for the best.

One of my references was not very powerful. That might have played some role in my nomination. Please hope for the best.

Does it mean that one of your referee was not well known or high profile? Or the referee did not write strongly to support you. I am again afraid. First of all both of my referees are from outside Canada, they are not well known. Also, I do not know what they wrote? :( :( :(

However, I hope I will receive my letter by coming Friday.

Does this mean you had 8 first author published journals and you still did not get in the waitling list!!!!

6 as a first author in IEEE Inc. and American J. of Applied. Physics (both journals are considered good) and remaining papers have second or third authorships. I did not have a lack of publications I guess. Not sure what took away my points.

6 as a first author in IEEE Inc. and American J. of Applied. Physics (both journals are considered good) and remaining papers have second or third authorships. I did not have a lack of publications I guess. Not sure what took away my points.

Just called the NSERC rep for Physics and Chemistry to see how many people are shortlisted for PDf (of course I am in the engineering program, but the engineering rep did not give me a clear answer). He told me that in average they shortlist between 5-10 people and last year only 2 of them got out of the list.

Does it mean that one of your referee was not well known or high profile? Or the referee did not write strongly to support you. I am again afraid. First of all both of my referees are from outside Canada, they are not well known. Also, I do not know what they wrote? :( :( :(

However, I hope I will receive my letter by coming Friday.

The referee did not write strongly, but I asked him anyway. I think that was my wrong choice. A good thing is that now I have this IRDF offer. Doing postdoc is definitly not always exciting job. I will seek what I can do out of this Industrial Pre-approved Fellowship and if not will try to apply to companies. After all, we have to work and make money. I defended my PhD a week ago and succesfully passed, and today I submitted my PhD theis and I am graduating in May this year. Thanks.

Journal of Applied Physics is highly ranked journal (just after the APL) in the field of applied physics. Are you working in the area of semiconductor?

Just called the NSERC rep for Physics and Chemistry to see how many people are shortlisted for PDf (of course I am in the engineering program, but the engineering rep did not give me a clear answer). He told me that in average they shortlist between 5-10 people and last year only 2 of them got out of the list.

Did they say your rank?

Did they say your rank?

No, I just insisted for a couple of minutes to let me know how many people in average get shortlisted. I sent a request to NSERC to provide me with the reviews for my application but they are not going to send it to me until June.

No, I just insisted for a couple of minutes to let me know how many people in average get shortlisted. I sent a request to NSERC to provide me with the reviews for my application but they are not going to send it to me until June.

Were the 5-10 people in the short list from all disciplines? I also emailed NSERC to see i they can tell me my rank. I will try to also cal the ECE rep in NSERC to see if she can give some info.

Who else was here from ECE in waitlist?

The referee did not write strongly, but I asked him anyway. I think that was my wrong choice. A good thing is that now I have this IRDF offer. Doing postdoc is definitly not always exciting job. I will seek what I can do out of this Industrial Pre-approved Fellowship and if not will try to apply to companies. After all, we have to work and make money. I defended my PhD a week ago and succesfully passed, and today I submitted my PhD theis and I am graduating in May this year. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about that. If a referee can not write strongly then he/she should tell the applicant about it before writing the reference letter. However, I believe that you will get whatever you deserve. Congratulation on your awarding PhD and wish you all the best.

Were the 5-10 people in the short list from all disciplines? I also emailed NSERC to see i they can tell me my rank. I will try to also cal the ECE rep in NSERC to see if she can give some info.

Who else was here from ECE in waitlist?

No it was just for phys/chem. The number of shortlisted people in each discipline depends upon the number of applicants. Last year there were almost 190 applicants for phys/chem. For ECE there was 241 applicants. So you might expect to have a higher number of people being short listed in ECE.

Sorry to hear about that. If a referee can not write strongly then he/she should tell the applicant about it before writing the reference letter. However, I believe that you will get whatever you deserve. Congratulation on your awarding PhD and wish you all the best.

Thank you. For a pre-approved IRDF applicant, I just found that NSERC pays 30 K and the candidate has to find a compnay need to pay 10 K minimum. The file will remain active until March 30 2014, (pre-approved).

Some one asked me if my background is semiconductor or not? My background is in semiconductor field but my proposal was at the time fo application was about biomedical applications.

Thank you. For a pre-approved IRDF applicant, I just found that NSERC pays 30 K and the candidate has to find a compnay need to pay 10 K minimum. The file will remain active until March 30 2014, (pre-approved).

Some one asked me if my background is semiconductor or not? My background is in semiconductor field but my proposal was at the time fo application was about biomedical applications.

Sorry for typos.

I think it makes sense to short-list people based on research field...it's very difficult to compare people between fields as publishing standards are very different. Also, for example, someone might have some nice patents, but it's not fair to rank that person higher than someone in a field where patents are not available.

Anyway, does anyone disagree that IRDF is a ridiculous program for most people? Why go through the headache of finding a job AND navigating NSERC bureaucracy in order to earn half the salary (with no benefits) one could make by just getting a job directly? Not to mention that the task of finding a job, in private industry, in Canada and related to our research is nearly impossible for most of us non-engineering types!

On the other hand, I guess a PDF is just as poorly paid and benefit-less!

Got my mail today... no letter from NSERC. I'm a 5 minute walk from Ottawa, so I'm not sure why I haven't heard yet.

Is this thread full of 1600+ troll replies just to get my hopes up, or have people actually been getting PGS-D results in the mail??? ;)

I think this officially can be classified as "strange." Have you tried asking the graduate office at your university?

Got my mail today... no letter from NSERC. I'm a 5 minute walk from Ottawa, so I'm not sure why I haven't heard yet.

Is this thread full of 1600+ troll replies just to get my hopes up, or have people actually been getting PGS-D results in the mail??? ;)

I didn't get my letter too, so I called NSERC to ask how can I find the results if the letter got lost and she said to wait 2 more weeks and then to call NSERC for results if I don’t get the letter....

Just an update that I received my successful NSERC PDF letter in the mail today (April 10th) - I'm at UBC Vancouver. Wishing the best of luck to those still waiting on letters.

Congratulations. May I ask you what dept are in and possibly your stat? Edited by UBC2012