Recruitment Based on GRE Scores?

MCWIYD

Hi All,

I have been reading the forums here for quite a while, but never registered. Anyway, I'd like to know your personal take on "recruitment e-mails" that you might receive after taking the GRE or GMAT. More specifically, do these types of e-mails affect the "chances" of an applicant being accepted to that program?

I ask this because I know that I opted in to the list where my scores could be shared with schools, and after taking the GRE earlier this month, a couple schools have contacted me in e-mails an invited me to apply to the programs. I was happy a bit, because while I had never considered one of the schools, it is a prestigious Ivy, and the program shared with me is something I'd be interested in. However, the e-mail only said that based on my profile I would be a good match for the program. I don't want to waste energy applying to a school I have no real shot at, and certainly don't want to spend that money on the application if i don't have a real chance.

Anyway, do you think these types of e-mails are merely commercial or worthwhile and give a boost to an application.

Thanks!

Probably they are mostly to increase awareness of their programs. I would expect they are mostly marketing, and would have little effect (guessing none) on your actual chances.

Unfortunately, emmm is right. Schools want as many applicants as possible, because it increases their stats regarding selectivity. These are pretty much automated, targeted advertisements. Not to say that you shouldn't apply to those schools if you find them to be good fits. But as always with grad applications, the leg work to find that out is done by you, not the school.

I've gotten about 7 recruitment emails and they've all been for highly-ranked Masters programs in math-y and computer science-y things. I know that they can't possibly be based on my scores since they're unknown. I also come from a very small school, so obviously they won't care about that. I am 100% certain that when I selected 'Computer Science' as my major, it put me into a giant database that schools can access. I know that it can be exciting when UC Berkeley's email address pops up in your inbox, but try to stay emotionally strong! :)

Marketing. I know our program does it to make students aware of our program if they might otherwise have overlooked it. It doesn't significantly increase your chances of getting in.

We mostly use it just because it's a good pool of people applying to graduate school in our field with a reasonable amount of ability.

You can "buy" from ETS databases of e-mails of people who say they want to be contacted- you can either get them segregated by score, or just get all the applicants in your area.

I think we were targeting 1300+ composites last I checked, but that was last year- they asked a couple of current grad students to help with the writing of the letters.

Edited by Eigen

Update: I actually got REAL MAIL from NYU 'recruiting' me for some program! Granted, it was just a glorified postcard, but still....that's a first! :D:lol:B)

Congrats on the MIT and Carnegie recruits! Your quant ranges must have been a little cuter than mine ;)

Edited by habanero

I have to say I don't think it matters at all. The selection committee isn't going to double check their mass email list, thats probably generated by the graduate school instead of a specific department, to see if your's is there. Also, I bombed the first GRE and still got recruitment emails from some pretty prestigious schools, like Johns Hopkins. Schools just want to get the word out and using ETS is a great way to reach out to students.

It's definitely flattering to receive these messages :) Apparently, I am now a "priority applicant" at Drexel University. The admission's office redirected me to a streamlined application and waived the fee, so I cannot complain.

*edit

Do you think they received our unofficial scores?

*second edit

I just walked downstairs to check the mail... I received a signed letter from Drexel University lol

Edited by Airwick

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, settled it:

The University of Michigan School of Information recently sent you a postcard and an e-mail with a link to a personalized Web page that introduces our Master of Science in Information, Master of Health Informatics, and Ph.D. programs. The academic major and high undergraduate GPA you reported when you registered to take the GRE suggest that one of our graduate programs might be a good fit for you. We hope you'll take a moment to see whether these programs match your interests and goals.