Public Policy from goldman

kphd

Hi!

I have a GPA of around 2-2.5. in equally bad in both undergrad (commerce, business, accounting) and Masters (Economics). I have a decent GRE score of above 1400, quant - 720-800 and verbal 700-800. Final score will be available in mid-november.

I am interested in pursuing a PhD in public policy. Can anyone kindly suggest point to me the kind of universities that I should target? I am planning to apply to the top schools like HKS, Goldman

I will need full funding... Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Well, I'll try to frame my answer with more tact...

Ultimately, your GPAs will preclude you from admission to the elite programs. Why wouldn't admissions committees have serious reservations about accepting a student who has done poorly at both levels? There's no evidence you could provide -- from your academic history -- that you're prepared to complete a PhD.

I see you're an international student, so I would also advise you to not regard the GRE as a compensatory factor in the sense you might be hoping. Here, it's simply a general 3-hour test that lends itself well to preparation and memorization. It's not in the same ballpark as the tests you've taken in the past that determine your eligibility to attend a certain institution.

Your work experience seems valuable, though. If you cast a (much) wider net in terms of programs, you might be able to emphasize that angle and downplay your GPAs. I'm not in public policy, and only know the basics of the programs, so I won't misdirect you and offer advice on where to apply specifically.

I don't think it's a troll. As we get closer to deadlines there is an influx of people who have done almost no research on grad school and are quite clueless. Which is fine, since spreading information is what this forum is all about. But sometimes it's information they might not want to hear.

OP, time for a reality check:

You don't have a snowball's chance in hell at Harvard, or any other top flight PHD program, with a 2.2 GPA

Full funding is almost surely not going to happen.

If you are truly dedicated to getting a PHD, I would start looking at much, much less prestigious schools. Think Southern Illinois, not Harvard. With those you at least have a realistic chance of getting in.