Literary Study and Weight Gain!

When I entered my M.A. program, I was just coming off a year out of my B.A., waiting tables 45 hours a week, and I was a svelte and toned 140 lbs. Since entering my M.A. program roughly a year and two months ago (although haven't had the bravery to weigh myself), I've swelled to at least 170 (I'm 5'7). My diet is pretty good. I cook most of my meals and there's always vegetables (thank God for my restaurant time -- if I got anything out of that miserable experience it was learning about how to cook food).

Basically, I went from spending a good chunk of my week walking to spending a good chunk of my week sitting in a library poring over texts. I sacrificed my bodily well-being for my intellect. I want to get back into an exercise routine after I am done with my PhD apps (and the student gym is like $18 a semester!), but I don't know -- how does anyone find time to have an exercise routine in between T.A.-ing, researching, writing, etc.? I should note that this is especially problematic in New York City, where so much of my time is eaten up by subway commute in a given day (3 hours sometimes).

Sorry for the fairly superficial topic. Let's get back to talking about our various neuroses regarding getting into/not getting into School X.

I'm not in grad school (...yet...) but I do live in New York, and barring freakish shitty weather days like yesterday (what the FUCK was that, by the way?!) I usually get off one or two stops early and walk to my destination. Though I do *love* having at least 45 minutes built-in to my day where I can just sit on the train and read.

i schedule exercise the same way i schedule course work, research work, prepping to TA. i look at it as something that needs to get done (ideally, a minimum of 3 times a week, although the past month i've fallen off the rails a bit).

since you're in new york, i'd recommend walking to as many places as possible. getting off a few stops early and walking the rest of the way sounds like a good move. venture a little farther out in your neighborhood than usual to get a meal or buy groceries. always take the stairs instead of the elevator. also, consider trying a standing work-station. since you've waited tables, you're used to being on your feet all day. elevate a desk to chest height and try to stand while you read or write, taking breaks as necessary. you'd be surprised how much energy you can burn doing that.

I didn't gain any weight during my MA program, but I was also working PT as a leasing agent where we didn't have any golf carts to take people on tours, so I did a lot of walking and going up and down stairs. I am working FT in an office environment now, but somehow have not gained any weight...I did change up my diet though to include more fruits and veggies. That might have done the trick :)

• 2 weeks later...

Butt clenches at your desk?

Seriously, though, it's hard to find the time. I have a full-time desk job while working on my MA, and I keep telling myself I'll get up earlier and exercise... then I realize that it's still dark at 6 a.m. and my willpower just isn't that strong. Having dogs actually helps though--they need a walk at least twice a day, so I get one too. :)

I think it's alarming how much weight I gained in undergrad (25-30 pounds) and how quickly I dropped it when I graduated and got a job. I'm sure it has something to do with my drinking and communal pizza eating in university.