Notifications, anyone?

Lizzle

Congratulations!

So, we know that Oregon is sending notifications and, judging from the "Results" page so are Berkeley, UCSB, and Arkansas. Anyone else?

On a personal note, I was super-calm for most of the past two weeks and have officially started freaking out/decided to flee the country if nothing pans out. I'm assuming some of you can maybe relate :)

As always, good luck to everyone!

Interesting...

Am I the only person here who's mentally compiling a list of schools I wish I'd apply to? As in, a solid five or six that I disregarded out of either sound reasoning or laziness? Alas...

Oh yes...there were a few that I didn't apply to out of sheer laziness and although I haven't been rejected anywhere yet, I'm still quite uneasy. I got even more stressed when I read about the increases in applications this year...at least we're all stressed together though!

zygomatic, which UMass did you apply to?

And congrats on the acceptances :)

Amherst. I know a couple of people in their program and they really like the department (faculty/courses/vibe, etc).

I opened my mailbox a few moments ago to find a small envelope from my top choice program. I thought about how much I would have really loved to go there and said "oh well." I proceeded to open the letter, hoping that it would be a nice rejection....

"The dept has recently met to consider applications...blah blah blah...we are pleased to inform..."

What?!? I had given up hope. My heart hadn't pounded so hard since my first kiss. So let this be a reminder to you all: small envelopes aren't always bad!

What's bizarre to me (bizarre because I'm not used to this!) is how persuasive and sweet programs are once you're accepted. The program I've gotten into offered to fly me in for a visit, all expenses paid/lodging/food etc. at my convenience because I can't make their official weekend. And they're plying me with funding opportunities.

What a change....

I feel sheepish because,um, if I get in anywhere else I'm not going there. And confused because I've never been treated like royalty by an academic institution. Anyone else who has been admitted somewhere finding this at all?

p.s. Dubya, I borrowed your sig idea because I liked it :)

Yeah, I don't like plastering what universities I applied to all over the internet, but a understated counter works...now if we can all just fill the acceptances line. I have no idea why they're so nice after and distant before. I could speculate, but there's no use. My time is better spent imagining numerous acceptances and being showered with gifts by my top choice programs...

I'm part of the anthroposse too! You all seem like a very nice set of folks, and I've been lurking for far too long! I re-fresh my email with the best of 'em, scan thegradcafe obsessively, and conduct all sorts of crazy guessing games and calculations based on the results page . . . I guess I fit right in :) Additionally, I noticed that my signature is right at home.

crofty,

it's about time you showed yourself!

sfbbgurl,

I'm jealous! But happy for you of course! :) I can honestly say that since I'm not cultural anth. You certainly can't beat the weather there! On a list of reasons to pick a uni for PhD, I'd say weather is number 1...followed by proximity to the beach. You're in good shape!