does a FAFSA need to be submitted to be offered TA/RA/Fwshp?

frankdux

just curious if i need to fill out a FAFSA in order to be eligible for financial awards and stipends from my program. i can't actually recall seeing anything about HAVING to fill out a FAFSA on the websites of any of my programs that i'm applying to.

or is a FAFSA only necessary when you have to take out loans?

I'm not sure if the FAFSA is needed for TA/RAs.

I was going to fill out a FAFSA regardless. What's the worst case scenario? You get some Federal aid? You qualify for the subsidized loans?

I agree with MAN. FAFSA isn't just for loans, you can also get some nice grants just by filling it out (and if you have all the necessary info in front of you, it only takes a few minutes). I'm not sure what's available for grad students besides Stafford Loans, but for undergrad, I got need-based grants and well as grants for just being a student in the sciences (it also extended to engineering, math, technology, etc.)

I doubt you need to fill it out to be offered a TA/RA/Fellow-ship, but the graduate school as a whole might require it. I'd recommend filling it out if only for the possibility that you might get some free money in the form of grants.

You can't get federal grants for grad school, but schools have pots of money for this purpose that they hand out. You should always fill out the FAFSA, even if you're funded or can afford grad school. You never know what scholarships or grants might be options for you until you do.

Well, I recently had the same debate for next year, but then realized no one cares. My funding's through the graduate school and is guaranteed for the next 5 years. When I applied, it wasn't required for any universities and didn't seem to affect the funding (I got funding at every school that accepted me for PhD). Having said that, I don't see how it would hurt you, but I won't qualify for any grants and the only fellowships I can get are things like NSF GRFP, NDSEG, or similar, which are not need based.

You do NOT need to fill out at FAFSA for a TA/RA/GA. They are all considered forms of employment, not aid. (Next year, the income from your TA/RA/GA will contribute to your FAFSA results. I currently make $12,000 / year as a GA and my expected contribution for my education is $2,300 / year which is ridiculous).

However, when you do fill out your taxes, it can never hurt to also fill out a FAFSA: it's free, and you never know if you qualify for school grants. You can always reject the FAFSA offer of loans, but it's useful to know what you would be offered, and what's available to you. Personally, I take a small amount of loans, put it in savings in case of emergency while interest is paid while in school.

I currently make $12,000 / year as a GA and my expected contribution for my education is $2,300 / year which is ridiculous).

\

Is it possible that's because the IRS considers your tuition reimbursement part of your income? That's something several of my peers and I have debated for the last couple of years...

Is it possible that's because the IRS considers your tuition reimbursement part of your income? That's something several of my peers and I have debated for the last couple of years...

I think part of it might come into play? I just looked into my FAFSA from last year, and beside my income, I had $104 contribute from Worksheet C (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/fotw ... stype=SWSC) which takes into account grants, scholarships, education credits, etc. I included in the link in case ya'll wanted to check it out.