What does everyone want to study?

whoneedsfreetime

I'd guess that everyone is in a SOP writing frenzy. So, what are you writing about?

What are your research interests?

Geographic region?

Where are you applying?

Very generally, I want to study maternal health and nutrition.

Probably Latin America.

Probably Northwestern, Emory, UConn, Ohio State, UNC...plus still finalizing that list.

I'd guess that everyone is in a SOP writing frenzy.

Yes, I'm

So, what are you writing about?

My research interests in addition to my current research project.Moreover, trying to justify gap years after graduation "see my topic with the same headline in SOP forum"

Molecular virology,molecular biology and immunology.

Geographic region?

Middle east and north africa, actually it's Egypt."live the revolution!"

Where are you applying?

OH! north eastern, midwest and south

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely in statement of purpose writing frenzy here.

My research interests: medical anthropology, particularly the relationship between aesthetics and healing practices, indigenous peoples, ritual and spirituality, cultural continuity and change, globalization.

Geographic region: Southeast Asia, the Philippine islands

Applying: NY and PA (Probably just two schools).

• 2 weeks later...

What do I want to study?

Your mom.

(please laugh, we're all going crazy)

HAHA, are you one of my students?! This was one of the more popular answers on exams to the question: "Anthropology is the study of ________" when they had no idea. (Which was sad, considering the course was titled "Introduction to Anthropology," but whether or not they attended class is neither here nor there.)

I'd guess that everyone is in a SOP writing frenzy. So, what are you writing about?

I'm working for Americorps this year, so I was able to get my SOP's written pretty early and customize them far more than I did for my MA applications, something that I'm really proud of. I've also focused a bit on methodology in my SOP rather than just my research focus, because methodology is strangely intriguing to me. The concept of "authorship" in ethnography has obviously been addressed over and over again, but I love the experimental forms that are starting to emerge. *is a geek*

Body modification, narratives on presentation and consumption in regards to the body, the application of moral characteristics to physical appearance in the contemporary (sub)urban United States.

Geographic region?

The largest city to wherever it is I end up going to school (to save money in case more grants get slashed in the upcoming years): Philly, DC, Chicago, or Denver. I'll make it work. ;) (Or, if I do get an elusive grant, I can go multi-sited, hooray!)

Where are you applying?

Northwestern, Temple, American. Already accepted to the Colorado PhD program if all else fails. *crosses fingers*

HAHA, are you one of my students?! This was one of the more popular answers on exams to the question: "Anthropology is the study of ________" when they had no idea. (Which was sad, considering the course was titled "Introduction to Anthropology," but whether or not they attended class is neither here nor there.)

I hope you ruthlessly failed each and every one of those students. I get really frustrated by anthropologists who give students Bs or Cs when they would get Ds or Fs if they demonstrated similar competency in the hard sciences. Sorry to be pissy.