Visiting

t_ruth

My field doesn't really do interviews, so I guess this means I have to visit the schools on my own dime, right? For those of you who are in the same boat (or were in the same boat), how do you go about arranging visits? Do you contact your potential advisor? Arrange through a graduate coordinator?

Will they help you find out about things like campus childcare, or are you on your own for researching those things?

Thanks in advance!

One of the programs I got into doesn't do interviews, but after getting an acceptance, I inquired about going there for a visit. I was all set to ask about potential funding, but the grad coordinator offered me a free flight, hotel, and dinner with faculty/students (not to mention meeting privately with current students, getting a tour of the town, transportation to/from airport). I was pretty surprised/grateful to hear this and I'll probably be heading out there late next month -- it's in the South, so it'll be a nice break from the cold of Wisconsin :)

YMMV, of course, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I think most programs realize that before you can make a decision, you might want to check out the place you'll be spending the next ~5 years at. I'm sure the graduate coordinator will be able to give you full details about planning a visit, but if you feel more comfortable talking to your potential advisor, I imagine they'd have a pretty good idea of what the procedure is like as well.

I visited my top three, but had to pay for the trips myself, granted I arranged them before my application was complete, so they were definitely not going to pay. On my program's websites they listed who to contact -- I believe in all cases is was the graduate coordinator. They were really helpful and told me which hotels were closest to campus and the cheapest so I could minimize expenses like cabs etc.

You aren't the first person to go visit so check the site, if it doesn't have any information call up the department and they'll fill you in on how arranging a visit works.

Most schools (at least in my field) hold an admitted students day, where they generally provide a stipend for travel and housing, plus they provide food at most functions. Thus, if you wait to visit until after you've heard the results, you shouldn't have to pay much (if anything) to check out the schools.

When I was admitted into my program for my master's, upon receiving my acceptance e-mail, the grad coordinator said information would be along shortly about a recruitment weekend. I think I got more concrete information about that weekend (when, where we would be staying, schedule) within the next week.

I have scheduled on visit at my own expense (Higher Education) and am spending Monday visiting with faculty, sitting in on a class, and having lunch with several current students. This is all on my own dime, but in my opinion is well worth the expense. As far as I know, very few schools offer paid visits in Ed programs.

Is that before or after you were accepted? I'm only going to visit the programs where I am accepted.

I have no problem doing it on my dime (of course I'd prefer if they paid!), but I am just not sure if they usually have their own program is all.

t_ruth: I have not yet been accepted. I was planning to wait until after I heard, but I scheduled this during the application process and am just getting around to getting down here. The other schools I will only visit if I am actually accepted. I did drive through another college town on the way down here though and decided on the spot - that is not the town for me to spend the next several years (so even just a quick look around helped a lot). Congratulations on your acceptance and hopefully they will inform you soon about whether or not they are going to schedule anything. **For my last two programs (master's programs), they only had visitation days after accepting and committing to attend (not sure if that helps or if it is different for PhD).

t_ruth, my field doesn't do interviews either. I think 5 of the schools I was accepted to last year invited me for a visit where they paid some or all of the costs. Sometimes a set amount, sometimes we'll pick up your flight. I always had to pick the weekend and let me know since they don't have any admitted student weekends or anything like that. So yea, ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it bad form to use the entire amount of money offered for travel? How many days can you legitimately stay there?

I've got $400 to work with and the even is on a Friday. I'd love to stay a 2nd night to check out the area though. Does anyone think that would be frowned upon?

If I know I'm in at one or more top choices before the campus visit days of some safety schools that have offered to fly me out, would it be unethical to go on the visit while knowing in the back of my head that the chance of my attending there is slim to none? All of the schools I applied to have professors I'd like to meet/network with, and for some it would be nice to see a new city or visit friends in those programs--but I might feel like I was stringing a school along in order to get a free trip.

would it be unethical to go on the visit while knowing in the back of my head that the chance of my attending there is slim to none?

It depends. I might do it if I thought the networking would be truly useful. And if you think the chance of attending is slim, well, you never know if a visit might really make you reconsider your skeptcisim about the program. When you consider that (assuming the program is housing you with current grads) the cost of the plane ticket and whethever you might get from the department (in professors' time and tangible goodies) is probably around $400ish, to me it would be worthwhile to even just slightly better inform such an important life decision as where one goes to grad school. It is very considerate of you to consider your impact on your programs though, particularly in this economy.

As for sightseeing, there probably won't be any time - usually these things are fly out on Thursday evening and leave Saturday morning sorts of events. In the back of my mind, though, it has crossed my mind that these weekends would be a great opportunity to finally get elite frequent flyer status.

Is it bad form to use the entire amount of money offered for travel? How many days can you legitimately stay there?

I've got $400 to work with and the even is on a Friday. I'd love to stay a 2nd night to check out the area though. Does anyone think that would be frowned upon?

One of the schools I'm going to visit emailed me asking whether I wanted two nights at a hotel, because students from out of town like to take a second day to explore the city that it's in! I'm not sure whether this is a typical attitude amongst graduate programs, but surely anything you could do that might help you explore the local area (and maybe discover that you really like it) would be met with approval on the part of the programs in question.

When I was admitted into my program for my master's, upon receiving my acceptance e-mail, the grad coordinator said information would be along shortly about a recruitment weekend. I think I got more concrete information about that weekend (when, where we would be staying, schedule) within the next week.

That is basically the sequence of events that is happening to me at my #1 choice program [ and also the only program that I've heard back from so far] :) They've told me they'll pay for my airfare, but I don't yet know the itinerary, how long, exactly where I'll stay, et cetera. The department is Feminist Studies, so I'm really glad they're offering to pay - I was worried they might have taken a funding cut what with being part of the UC system during CA's massive economic crunch and what with not being a "hard science". I also can't afford to visit anywhere that won't pay. So we'll see what happens... I too am interested in whether they're willing to pay for more than one night, whether I'll stay on campus or in a hotel, etc.

I'm really interested to see if my programs are willing to pay for my ticket up front, rather than reimburse me. I don't have the money to pay for any sort of plane ticket on my own. Yay 28 dollars in the bank! I don't know how that will work out, but it will be the determining factor in whether or not I visit 2 of my schools.

It's a good suggestion to use a credit card, but if bubotuberpus doesn't have a credit card or is unable to put an airline ticket on his/her credit card, I suggest calling the department and explaining the situation. They may be willing to directly book your flight for you. I can't imagine that the department would essentially block you from attending the recruitment weekend just because you don't have the means to purchase a ticket up front.

If you're admitted but there's no visiting weekend, what exactly do you ask about arranging a visit? "Hi, I'd like to visit, when should I come and where should I stay and what should I do"? Really, I have no idea how to approach this email....

I would send an email to the DGS or grad secretary and ask about scheduling a visit to campus. You can say something like you're considering several options and you'd like to visit X University to get a feel for the department. If a school is serious about getting you to attend, they should be glad to arrange a visit for you. They'll usually bring you out for a day or two, reimburse you for your flight, and book a hotel room for you.