Comparing apples to apples

t_ruth

I'm not in the position to do this yet, but I have a feeling if I get into multiple schools, they are all going to be relatively similar as far as ranking. I was careful about only applying to places that were good research fits, so that isn't much of an issue either. In this kind of situation, how have you all made decisions?

Things I guess I will consider:

cost of living

undergrad University reputation?

proximity to family/friends

Please add things you consider when deciding between schools and maybe your process for researching and coming to your decision...

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't consider the undergrad reputation of the university at all. There's a thread on this somewhere from last year. But basically, your only interactions with undergrads will be when you're teaching. My grad program is a top-notch program at a school not known for its undergrad programs in anything. But people will know who I studied with if/when I go on the academic job market because the faculty in my dept are well-known and connected.

Assuming the schools are of more or less similar quality and my research interests are well supported at each school, it'll be about the city more than the school for me (assuming I am faced with this dilemma; it is very possible I will be universally rejected). I'll be choosing a large city over a small one, and a non college-town if I can. Public transport, climate, and proximity to a major international airport will be important for me.

Alternatively, I'll just go where the average rent consumes the smallest proportion of my stipend.

ridgey, Your alternative decision plan will be the exact opposite of your big city, etc. decision plan.

thanks rising_star, I'll have to search for that thread. I feel that undergrad rankings may be a bit more stable over time though...

It's tough also because I only have complete rankings for Colleges of Ed, not for my particular program, and I'm not sure how much difference there is between the two. There are some cases with large disparities between grad Ed. rankings and general undergrad rankings too...

ex: Irvine is 77 for grad CofEd and 44 for undergrad compared w/ASU which is 25 for grad CofEd and 121 for undergrad! should the undergrad really make no difference at all?

Hang on, t_ruth. You DO have rankings in Ed Psych specifically. They were last ranked in 2008 and there are several different subdivisions of education studies on the USNews rankings...if I were you, I'd pay the $15 or whatever and check it out.

Because, like it or not, they matter. IF you are interested in a faculty position someday, then you should try to go to the highest ranked school you are accepted to. It'll make your job search someday much more simple. I know several people on here don't think the US News rankings are legit, but believe me, they do matter because departments that are ranked more highly are more likely to receive monies that otherwise they would not, are more likely to recruit stellar students, which in the end reflects upon their reputation favorably, and as a result will recruit stellar faculty...I could go on.

Other factors to consider are your living expenses, previous school debt, climate (if you are homosexual please don't try to spend the next 4-5 years in Oklahoma, as an example), fit with faculty and research interests, and when it all comes down to it, the best financial package.

When you go on the job market, no one will care what the undergrad reputation was. They WILL notice what grad program you came from, however, and who you studied with.

Here are some other things I'm planning to look for:

1. Is my advisor (aside from being smart and a good research fit) a good advisor? Does s/he care about mentoring as well as just getting his/her name on publications? This is SO important--a bad advising relationship can really make your life miserable. I speak from experience.

2. Are the students supportive of each other, or are they more competitive? This is actually something a prof who was interviewing me brought up! She said she went to a school where the students were supportive of each other, but it was basically an accident, because she didn't think about it when she was choosing a school. But apparently it really varies from program to program.

3. What is the rest of the department like? For example, while I am not interested in quantitative psychology per se, I would like to go someplace where there are knowledgeable quantitative folks around who can explain things to me, and where I may be able to get a minor in stats or something like that.

4. Is there any weird political issue or split among the faculty? In some departments these things happen. I think I'd just like to know beforehand.

5. Since my interests are somewhat interdisciplinary, will I be able to stay in touch with both of the research communities where I might want to look for jobs after I graduate?

Good list socialpsych.

Ivy, I've looked at the rankings, and they only have the first 24, even with the enhanced (paid) service. Almost all my schools are there, but clustered around #12-18. Do six places really make the difference?

for me, not necessarily in this order:

ranking of school within my field

how well my personality meshes with that of prospective advisors (can't find this out until I visit)

how well my personality meshes with departmental culture (ditto)

cost of living

family-friendliness of town (not a big deal for many grads, but should count for something for t_ruth)

proximity to family/friends

Oh, I see what you mean.

No, I don't think 5-6 or so rankings will make a huge difference. If it comes down to that, then definitely think about the other factors. If you're talking about the difference between a #5 and a #25, it seems worthwhile to me to take on a little more debt, if that's what it takes.

But if you're talking about all top 20 or 25s, then it's not a huge deal. I'd probably consider next the financial package. But then again, I'm not married, etc.

ridgey, Your alternative decision plan will be the exact opposite of your big city, etc. decision plan.

I know.

While I'm all for ratioanlly identifying criteria that are important in making your decision, if you can't identify these criteria then maybe they aren't (or shouldn't be) so important in your decision making process.

Of course, it could be that you have a sense of what you want and can't quite define or articulate it. Are you going to visit days? Do you know anyone who attended the schools you're considering? Have your advisors tried to point you to a particular program? You might find that you have a gut reaction based on these sorts of encounters that directs you in one direction or another.

Have your advisors tried to point you to a particular program?

I'm sure it would be great to have some of those :)

This is the first time I've ever really encountered this kind of decision. For undergrad, I went locally where I could get out quickly for personal reasons and for law school I made the mistake of aiming too low w/my applications so went to the place that was clearly better ranked. It's nice to hear how others think out the process...

I considered several things when applying to schools:

1. Location. I need snow and other cold elements. Any place that did not have this would make me miserable.

2. The programs' connections that would allow me to spring into the career I wanted.

3. The chances of getting aid.

4. Whether the learning environment was collaborative or poisonous.

Rankings did not come into consideration (though it doesn't appear that way looking at my list). I spent countless hours weeding down schools, of which I applied to 5. While there were plenty of absolutely fantastic programs, their location knocked them off the list. If I am going to be living somewhere for several years, I need cold weather. So no Florida or Cali for me. I do realize I am in the absolute minority in this aspect though. :)

If I am going to be living somewhere for several years, I need cold weather. So no Florida or Cali for me. I do realize I am in the absolute minority in this aspect though. :)

Same here! I don't think I would be miserable without snow but I would miss it a lot. All the places I'm applying to but one are in places that get snow, and that other one is a total long shot for me. I need seasons!

Same here! I don't think I would be miserable without snow but I would miss it a lot. All the places I'm applying to but one are in places that get snow, and that other one is a total long shot for me. I need seasons!

I'm so glad there are people like you, to at least start to balance out the demand for warm and season-less places from people like me! :P

When I pick schools I consider what the students are like. When you go to an info session or a visit listen to what the students say or how they act. Like if the students seem competitive and you're not into that sorta thing you can factor that in... Good luck :D

I considered several things when applying to schools:

1. Location. I need snow and other cold elements. Any place that did not have this would make me miserable.

2. The programs' connections that would allow me to spring into the career I wanted.

3. The chances of getting aid.

4. Whether the learning environment was collaborative or poisonous.

I definitely read 3. as "the chances of getting laid," and thought, "how do you evaluate that?"

Location is a hard one - I applied to one school in a very hot climate, and that's actually one of the major issues that makes me hesitant about it despite an amazing program. We'll see what the options are, I guess.

Also, I kind of envy the idea of comparing apples to apples. If I get in to a good number of places, I'm going to be comparing apples to oranges to bananas to broccoli!

I applied to more of a niche program, so I couldn't be picky about location. I cared about placement stats and academic reputation. As someone who is applying to an MA program, other factors were less of an issue since I know I can handle them for two years or so.

Heh, how about that! Prize goes to whoever can figure it out!

Well, Wikipedia articles on cities give gender ratios. In all (or possibly all bar one) of the cities I'm applying to, there are about 90 men/100 women. I wish I could have found a suitable programme in Denver, with its 102men/100 women.

Gender ratios are no help to those whose prospects are the same gender, of course.

Well, Wikipedia articles on cities give gender ratios. In all (or possibly all bar one) of the cities I'm applying to, there are about 90 men/100 women. I wish I could have found a suitable programme in Denver, with its 102men/100 women.

Gender ratios are no help to those whose prospects are the same gender, of course.

We'd also have to account for the relative cultural permissiveness regarding promiscuity somehow. I swear I saw some tv show or website where they figured out what city's women had wthe highest average number of sexual partners.

We'd also have to account for the relative cultural permissiveness regarding promiscuity somehow. I swear I saw some tv show or website where they figured out what city's women had wthe highest average number of sexual partners.

Manswers....I'm a big fan :mrgreen: