Mentioning courses in SOP

Ok, so I am almost done with my SOP for Engineering Management.

Since the proposed curriculum of this program is very wide and adaptable to many interest, I put in my SOP what my areas of emphasis are and I even mentioned the core courses that I wish to take.

I did that in order to show that I have a clear idea of what the program is about and also to show what my interest are.

I was just thinking if that is a good idea? is it common to mention courses you wish to take, and maybe some professors in the SOP, or should I use the space for more important information.

What do you think?

I think it's appropriate. I'm in the humanities, though. I mentioned specific professors last round of applications, and this round (phd) I'm planning on mentioning both.

You are mentioning both professors and courses?

But you are applying to a phd.... My case is a MS in Engineering...

I'm not sure how it works with MS, but I know that in SOP for PhD it is not only recommended, but sometimes required by the programs to mention both courses and professors. It's because you need to show that you're a good fit to the program.

However, it's definitely a good idea to mention professors whose work is relevant to yours. And in regard to courses, well, I'd mention anything I have a choice in. If you need to take seminars or participate in lab work or anything like that, then there's a point in showing that the program offers things that fit your interests and goals.

I'm not sure how it works with MS, but I know that in SOP for PhD it is not only recommended, but sometimes required by the programs to mention both courses and professors. It's because you need to show that you're a good fit to the program.

However, it's definitely a good idea to mention professors whose work is relevant to yours. And in regard to courses, well, I'd mention anything I have a choice in. If you need to take seminars or participate in lab work or anything like that, then there's a point in showing that the program offers things that fit your interests and goals.

Great, that was what I was aiming for, showing fit

Thanks for the advice!

MOO, I would give myself and the readers the benefit of the doubt. That is, I would assume that they know that I know that they know that I know that they know that I know that I am going to take advantage of a program's diverse curriculum and do coursework relevant to my interest. Instead, I'd use the space to develop further a point in my SoP or to make a new point altogether.

Just my $0.02.

MOO, I would give myself and the readers the benefit of the doubt. That is, I would assume that they know that I know that they know that I know that they know that I know that I am going to take advantage of a program's diverse curriculum and do coursework relevant to my interest. Instead, I'd use the space to develop further a point in my SoP or to make a new point altogether.

Just my $0.02.

I appreciate the advice

Just my $0.02.

iawtc. It might not hurt to mention specific courses (though if done the wrong way, it could sound pandering), but you could use that space so much more wisely. I'd recommend spending some time focusing more on what you've learned from prior research experiences or gaps you perceive in the field rather than listing out your entire proposed first year schedule. This might just be a personal preference thing, though.

iawtc. It might not hurt to mention specific courses (though if done the wrong way, it could sound pandering), but you could use that space so much more wisely. I'd recommend spending some time focusing more on what you've learned from prior research experiences or gaps you perceive in the field rather than listing out your entire proposed first year schedule. This might just be a personal preference thing, though.

I understand. I did not mentioned the entire proposed curriculum. I just mentioned the areas of emphasis I was interested and the listed 5 courses that I think would help me develop those areas. That was all...