GRE Predicted Range vs Actual Score - huge difference!

stevenp

So I took the revised GRE at the end of September. After taking the test, I received estimated score ranges based on the old GRE scores. I was pretty satisfied with the ranges based on what percentile they put me in (based on percentile vs raw score charts). The problem is my actual verbal score, based on percentiles, fell far below the range I was given!

Here's the details:

Estimated range given: 600-700

Corresponding percentiles: 86-97

Actual Score: 158

Corresponding percentile: 79

The score I received was 7 percentile ranks lower than the LOWEST score in the range I was given after the test! That's a pretty huge difference, given that the range given spanned 11 percentile ranks. I'm so disappointed :(

Did this happen to anybody else, or were the ranges you were given more accurate? Thanks!

You both are definitely not the only ones. My verbal score/percentile was below the estimated range given to me on test day. My quant score was at the very top of the estimated score so really is was a little easier to swallow though I guess. I don't think ETS will ever figure the whole thing out.

My verbal was also below the estimated. Estimated was 97-99%, and I got 93%

Same. Although, my quant score was unexpectedly high (but that isn't any comfort because that doesn't matter too much for History...)

Edited by taybaxter

Well I'm glad someone got at least one of their scores within range or even near the top, both of mine were below, verbal was severely below, math was slightly below. On the bright side at least I had hope for 2 weeks.

I was given a 740-800 score range for verbal, yet according to the official concordance table my percentile (97%) corresponds to a score of 700 on the prior version. While the score is still decent, it is both problematic and unprofessional to be giving score ranges that are way off the mark.

I took it this morning and had the same thing happen to me.

I got a predicted 710-800 in verbal on the practice test and 650-750 on Quantitative.

Actual scores were 163 verbal (equivalent to 650) and 150 Q (630). So, it was significantly lower in the verbal and slightly lower in the quantitative. Other people I talked to experienced the same situation. Kinda frustrating, but oh well.

I took it this morning and had the same thing happen to me.

I got a predicted 710-800 in verbal on the practice test and 650-750 on Quantitative.

Actual scores were 163 verbal (equivalent to 650) and 150 Q (630). So, it was significantly lower in the verbal and slightly lower in the quantitative. Other people I talked to experienced the same situation. Kinda frustrating, but oh well.

This topic is not about the discrepancy between practice tests and the actual test, but about the score range that the first few batches were given upon having finished the GRE under the new format. We had to wait a couple of weeks before these score ranges (in the old format) were translated into actual scores (in the new format).

I got access to the GRE Diagnostic Service this morning, after having been in the first batch of Revised GRE scores released (test sat 09/01). As it turns out, I got 7 questions wrong on the Verbal measure. Out of all the practice tests, I think that's easily the worst test I've sat.

The second Verbal section had a much higher number of difficult questions, but the questions I got wrong weren't all the more difficult ones; some were of only median difficulty, and I got the vast majority of the more difficult ones right.

I'm now even more confused about why my actual score has turned out so much lower than even the lowest in the given range (700-800 on the day, with an actual score equivalent of 660/670, i.e., 164/94%). Is it more damaging to your score to get median-level questions wrong than it is to get higher-level questions wrong?

• 4 weeks later...