Talking on the phone tomorrow with a professor. Any suggestions?

taybaxter

Hey everybody,

I've emailed a lot of professors at schools I'm applying to and one in particular has really taken an interest in me and my work. We've been emailing back and forth for a week and a half and I've been asking her about the program, sharing some of my thoughts on her book, talking about some of my work, etc. and late last week she asked if I wanted to talk to her on the phone. I readily agreed--even though I can be quite shy--and we're talking tomorrow afternoon. This will be a first for me and I want to make a good impression.

How do you guys think I should prepare for this? Any suggestions about questions I could ask her?

If it helps, prepare an outline for you to look at.

First, because you'll get so caught up over the fact you're actually talking to this professor, you may forget the simply courtesies. So on the top, write "SAY HELLO AND ASK HOW THEY ARE" (yes, in caps). On the bottom, write "REMEMBER TO SAY THANK YOU FOR THEIR TIME AND YOU WILL FOLLOW UP" (yes, with a follow up thank you note and another follow up that you've submitted your app).

So my outline would usually go like this: (based on over 15 interviews and this is going to be the order of their questions)

(some here will ask "why do you want to get a PhD" just to unnerve you because most people don't think about this so carefully and thoroughly)

1. Research interests

2. Current thesis project

3. Languages/preparation (archival work, travel, etc)

4. Specific questions for the professor

5. Specific questions about the program

6. Any other general questions

You'll want to keep your statements short and sweet so the conversation bounces back and forth. Leave them hanging for more information from you if you can. They are interviewing YOU.

You will definitely want to ask about their graduate students. Do not be afraid or shocked if s/he actually starts talking about the job market. You want this professor in your circle, even if you don't get in the program. Be very calm and show that you understand. Don't be afraid to ask related questions because, clearly, this professor is concerned about her job placement rate and the future of academy that s/he wants to make sure that his/her graduate students get good jobs at the end, no matter what. S/he wants to prepare you the best she can if you are open to the possibility of getting a non-academic job. If s/he is getting a student who won't look at other options, it's going to be a difficult relationship. Do mention that you've seen the recent commentaries about humanities PhDs, especially history, coming up with Plans B and C. (Like this one: http://chronicle.com/article/No-More-Plan-B/129293/). Use this opportunity to ask him/her what s/he thinks and whether or not they've discussed it in the department. This is an excellent way of finding out how serious the department is about their students' successes. It's not a bad sign at all, given this day and age.

Stand up when you talk. Be confident, sound confident, even if you don't. Put on nice clothes and shoes if you have to to get in the mood.

I had a similar conversation with a professor about a month ago and I was also nervous about it. I'm not good at talking on the phone (and never have been - as a kid I would run away from the phone rather than take a call, no joke), but it actually went really well. The first few minutes were kind of awkward, and you should be prepared for that (exchanging pleasantries, etc is going to be semi awkward with someone you've never met), but don't worry - we ended up speaking for over an hour and after the first few minutes it was totally comfortable. The professor asked me questions about how I got interested in the region I'm studying, my language prep, previous research and travel experiences, etc and that led to a conversation about how she got interested in the region. She gave me some really valuable insights about how the admissions process works at her school, and what kinds of things I should highlight in my statement of purpose. I had some questions written up on a post-it note beforehand (i.e. how big are classes? how many grad students study the region? etc...definitely nothing earth-shattering). We talked about funding as well, and by the end she said she would advocate for full funding for me with committee. All in all, I was worried about it, but by the time I hung up I was actually much more at ease with the whole admissions process. Not sure if any of this is helpful, but good luck! And remember, history professors aren't public relations execs or politicians...they probably get the being shy thing.

Great advice from TMP, the only thing I would is: try to ascertain as instantaneously as you can whether she wants this to be YOUR conversation or HER conversation, or both. Be prepared to lead or follow depending on the signals she sends. Being able to lead is indicative of being able to accomplish, while being able to follow is indicative of being teachable and trainable- each are important qualities that professors (and employers) covet...

^^^ Excellent advice.

I had a phone conversation with one of my top POIs in October, and I was actually really surprised when he hardly asked me any questions at all. I had to lead the entire conversation. It definitely threw me off, but I know I was able to show that I knew enough about his work to ask questions about that, and enough about grad school in general to ask intelligent questions about that process. Don't take your POI not asking you questions about yourself as a sign of disinterest; it's just a different technique.

Relax before you go into it! I did mine really stressed out, wearing a sweatshirt on the top floor of a house that had the heat on too high and I was nervous. Bad plan. By the time I was done I was drenched in sweat and felt like I'd just run a marathon while my POI stood on the sidelines and demanded that I recite all the cranial nerves.

Relaaaaaaaax.

One of my undergrad advisers told me that there's no way you can mess this up. Not unless you do something truly horrendous. They aren't looking to accept or reject you based off this conversation. Even if you do really well, this won't get you in. It'll just get you a careful look on your app once it's submitted. And if you're nervous or flustered, it won't get you rejected, either.

Good luck! :)

ETA: Due to the time-sensitive nature of the request, some of the recommendations that follow are geared specifically towards the OP.

• Use a land line, not a cell phone, for the conversation.
  • Make a call of nature ten minutes before the call.
  • Have an idea of where you want to draw the line between conversation and chit chat.
    • If that line is crossed, have ready a way to get the conversation back on track.
    • During the call, have handy a glass--not bottle--of water.
      • When necessary, sip the water, but do not drink.
      • Use your existing email correspondence as the basis for your phone conversation.
        • Given the preparation time, your interests may be best served by focusing on ways to convey who you are rather than developing a to do list.

• Ideally, the way you write is close enough to the way you talk so that there is not any awkwardness.
          • As the correspondence has already covered a number of topics, let the phone conversation be a continuation of the conversation.

[*]Even if you're not, convey an air of confidence.

[*]By this stage of the process, you've been having these kinds of conversations for years. (And if you haven't, act as if you have.)

[*]Avoid the appearance of reading from a script.

[*]If you use a script, have no more than five talking points.

[*]If the course of the conversation means you don't cover all five, do not stick to the script.

[*]Just as she's figuring out how you'd fit in at her department, you're figuring out if you want to go to her school.

[*]Remember how to say two important things "I don't know." and "I don't understand."

[*]Upon finishing the conversation, sit down and write a "memorandum of conversation," and then draft a thank you note (card, letter, email) that you will send after a suitable interval.

[*]Remember to have fun.

HTH.

Edited by Sigaba

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the thorough suggestions and you guys really put me at ease...especially by reminding me that this likely won't "make or break" my application (although it would be wonderful if it did make it :D ). Yeah Lexi87, like you I've always been pretty bad with the phone but if I have a clear agenda in mind I'll probably be okay. I've been pretty good in the past with profs when it's all "business" talk.

I'm going to sit down tonight and write out a brief--thanks for making that point Sigaba!--outline of talking points.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the thorough suggestions and you guys really put me at ease...especially by reminding me that this likely won't "make or break" my application (although it would be wonderful if it did make it :D ). Yeah Lexi87, like you I've always been pretty bad with the phone but if I have a clear agenda in mind I'll probably be okay. I've been pretty good in the past with profs when it's all "business" talk.

I'm going to sit down tonight and write out a brief--thanks for making that point Sigaba!--outline of talking points.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Tay--

Relax and everything will be okay. (Maybe jot down at the top of your brief outline the professor's name, the school she's working at, and the title of her book on your notes...Ask Rick Perry. :o )

Edited by Sigaba

Yes, good luck! Remember, keep the ball bouncing, keep the flow of conversation going. I only merely suggested the outline above because it seems quite standard but you never know where the conversation may go. You'll get a sense within a few minutes whether or not you'll lead the conversation. More often than not I've found is that is if the professor challenges you within the first few minutes ("why should I talk to you?" kind of tone, even if the person appears friendly), you do have to lead the conversation with your research interests, how you fit in the program, and ask them questions. This is hard for shy people because shy people generally aren't born to be salespeople! :)

And, oh, you may find it helpful to write down titles of books you've been reading lately, influenced you the most, and helped you set up the framework for your thesis. I've been asked this multiple times and sometimes I'll forget the exact title or the author's name... but they'll usually figure out who/what I'm talking about. Embarrassing but... :wacko: still embarrassing. And remember why you picked up that book.

Slightly OT, but does anyone have a sense of how long is too long to wait after a phone convo to send a thank-you note? Because it honestly did not occur to me, and I had my phone conversation back in October. Could I save it just by mentioning my appreciation in an email in a few weeks when I tell him I've submitted my app?

Slightly OT, but does anyone have a sense of how long is too long to wait after a phone convo to send a thank-you note? Because it honestly did not occur to me, and I had my phone conversation back in October. Could I save it just by mentioning my appreciation in an email in a few weeks when I tell him I've submitted my app?

G--

IMO, it depends. One factor is the content of the note. For example, in Tay's case, if the note is an extension/continuation of the email correspondence / phone conversation, a few days may be needed to draft the part beyond the 'thank you.'

However, if one is just going to say 'thank you,' then one might put the note into the mail box that same day.

Whatever the choice, I believe that a thank you note needs to be authentic to who you are, how you communicate, and the dynamic of the relationship.

Yes, good luck! Remember, keep the ball bouncing, keep the flow of conversation going. I only merely suggested the outline above because it seems quite standard but you never know where the conversation may go. You'll get a sense within a few minutes whether or not you'll lead the conversation. More often than not I've found is that is if the professor challenges you within the first few minutes ("why should I talk to you?" kind of tone, even if the person appears friendly), you do have to lead the conversation with your research interests, how you fit in the program, and ask them questions. This is hard for shy people because shy people generally aren't born to be salespeople! :)

And, oh, you may find it helpful to write down titles of books you've been reading lately, influenced you the most, and helped you set up the framework for your thesis. I've been asked this multiple times and sometimes I'll forget the exact title or the author's name... but they'll usually figure out who/what I'm talking about. Embarrassing but... :wacko: still embarrassing. And remember why you picked up that book.

Excellent suggestion! While I know her book front to back (I've written a paper specifically on it and also used it as a major source for my thesis :) ) I definitely wouldn't want to forget the names of any other books that have been important to me...

Edited by taybaxter

Hello all!

It went about as well as I could have hoped. We talked for about forty minutes and I asked some good questions about the grad school, her work, the app process and some of her grad students. I also tried my best to get my qualifications across. She promised she would help me get in touch with some of her students with similar interests. Only part where I feel like I stumbled a bit was when we were discussing an important book in our field that had come up in our email correspondence. I was kind of nervous so I didn't really feel all that articulate. :unsure: I think that's probably a small thing in the long run though.

No promises were made in the end, although she did say that she will be sure to look at my application "with interest."

Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by taybaxter