We're a relatively small bunch, but I'm hoping to connect with others who are applying to PhD programs in environmental studies. This interdisciplinary field doesn't seem to have a home on The Grad Cafe forums, so let's start with this thread. I've tagged this post with several pertinent keywords, so I'm hoping that these tags will help us to find one another.

Here are some representative stand-alone programs in Environmental Studies. Many, but not all, of these schools are known primarily for their Master's programs, but all have PhD programs as well. Most implicitly (or explicitly) require a Master's degree for acceptance into the PhD program:

Berkeley ESPM & ERG

Michigan SNRE

Indiana SPEA

Yale FES

Duke's Nichols School

UC Santa Barbara's Bren School

Vermont's Rubenstein School

Stanford's Woods Institute

Wisconsin's Nelson Institute

ASU's School of Sustainability

Many of us are pursuing environmental training at the PhD level in a more traditional disciplinary department. This is possible in any number of departments, including: Sociology, Geography, Political Science, Ecology, Public Affairs, Anthropology, & Earth Science. I could attempt to list them here, but I don't think I can do justice to all of the academic departments known for their environmental faculty.

About Me: I have a BS in Earth Science and an Master's Environmental Policy from one of the schools listed above. I have several years of experience in international development, and I'm looking to pursue a PhD in environmental social sciences.

So what are your interests, what is your background, and where are you applying? Questions, concerns, curiosities about your fellow applicant cohort?

Fire away!

Howdy Shibboleth,

Glad to see a home at the Grad Cafe for ES PhD applicants. I'm applying to mostly Environmental Health programs, but I'm doing the environmental studies thing at one school:

Yale FES

I've got a BA in Environmental Biology and Chemistry from a small liberal arts school in New England and a masters degree in Environmental Health Sciences from a larger research university.

It'll be great to commiserate during the waiting process...ugh. I just submitted my app yesterday. Great load off my mind, but somehow not yet satisfying. hah.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my BA and MS in environmental studies and I'm in the midst of applying to PhD programs. I'm also on the social science side of this field and had to make a decision about what types of programs to target. I've decided to apply to 6 political science programs and 2 interdisciplinary programs.

Just to add to your list, here are a few more interdisciplinary programs (I applied to the first two):

Duke - Environmental Policy PhD (political science or economics track)

UC Davis - Graduate Group in Ecology (Environmental Policy and Human Ecology emphasis)

UC Santa Cruz - Environmental Studies PhD

University of Colorado Boulder - Environmental Studies PhD

University of Oregon - Environmental Studies PhD

SUNY-ESF - Several environmental graduate degrees

• 1 month later...

Glad to see some environmental people on here. I am also applying to environmental health doctorals. My BS is in political science and international relations and my MS is in global health. I keep staring at the calendar waiting to hear back.

Harvard - Environmental Health, Concentration Exposure, Epidemiology, and Risk - Environmental Exposure Assessment SD

Berkeley - Environmental Health Sciences PhD

University of Arizona - Environmental Health Sciences PhD

George Washington - Environmental and Occupational Health DrPH

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I AM GLAD THAT I SEE SOME PEOPLE WITH ENVIRONMENTAL BACKGROUNDS. I HAVE BS AMD MS DEGREES IN AGRICULTURE FROM OVERSEAS AND CURRENTLY STUDYING ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES AT CA, AS MY SECOND MS DEGREE. I HAVE A Q SO THOUGHT MAY BE YOU COULD HELP ME.

I AM A GRADUATE STUDENT, MASTER DEGREE, IN ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES AT ONE OF THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITIES. CURRENTLY I AM IN SECOND SEMESTER.

BECAUSE OF SOME FAMILY ISSUES I HAVE TO MOVE TO MA IN 2 MONTHS AND I AM THINKING IF I WILL BE ABLE TO CONTINUE MY EDUCATION THERE. AT THE END OF THIS SEMESTER I WILL HAVE TAKEN ALL MY CORE COURSES AND I ONLY NEED TO TAKE SOME ELECTIVES DURING NEXT SEMESTER, FALL 2012.

I ONLY NEED TO MOVE FOR THE NEXT SEMESTER, FALL 2012, AND AFTER THAT HOPEFULY I MAY RETURN TO CA. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I CAN DO THAT AND TRANSFER ONLY FOR THE NEXT SEMESTER TO MA. IS IT DONE NORMALLY?

I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

BEST

EMMY

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone!

I am currently applying to an Msc in Environmental Studies and I was hoping you could help me decide which one to chose. I am a business major and I would like to work as a consultant after completing the Masters and I am looking for a program with a more "social" approach. I am not that interested in research.

I was accepted into the Msc in Environment, Politics and Globalization at King's College, the Msc in Environment, Science and Society at UCL, the Environmental Economics and Climate Change at LSE and the Msc in Natural Resources Economics at Toulouse 

Right now I am torn between King's and UCL. Could anyone advise me?