Calling the admissions office

sais

The other day I called up the admissions department.

A lady answered the telephone with, "Hello."

What does this mean? Am I accepted? Am I rejected?

I was too scared to ask her to clarify! In a nervous panic I dialed another school's admissions department.

The man who answered said the same thing! I immediately hung up.

I called every school I applied to and they all answered the same way. This must be a sign. I'm sure of it.

My theory so far is this:

if you are either accepted or rejected when you call the admission's office they will answer with a "Hello."

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'm going to do some more research on this and let you know when I figure it all out.

P.S. It's only been a week! I don't know how much more of this I can take...

Pack up your bags, you are officially a grad student. Every school I have been accepted to used to old "Hello" line as well.

I wonder how much funding this means you will get.

The other day I called up the admissions department.

A lady answered the telephone with, "Hello."

What does this mean? Am I accepted? Am I rejected?

I was too scared to ask her to clarify! In a nervous panic I dialed another school's admissions department.

The man who answered said the same thing! I immediately hung up.

I called every school I applied to and they all answered the same way. This must be a sign. I'm sure of it.

My theory so far is this:

if you are either accepted or rejected when you call the admission's office they will answer with a "Hello."

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'm going to do some more research on this and let you know when I figure it all out.

P.S. It's only been a week! I don't know how much more of this I can take...

best post ever.

Hi,

after seeing this post and fed up of waiting, I called up one school. They did answer with "Hello". She said, the decision may be informed anywhere from today to end of May. Suddenly, I called one more univ to which I have not applied. There, the lady answered the phone with, "Comp Sci Dept, how may I assist you...."

I could easily see the difference. The "hello" was more stern and impersonal. Now, I am coming to accept this theory.

I dont know, if it is an accept/reject. But, I am fanatically pressing the "refresh" button of my mail box.

Oh Noes!

I work in a departmental office at a big university, and I just realized I answer all my calls with "Hello"! I guess I'd better go back and check the chapter in the employee handbook where it explains how to psychically discern whether it is a grad applicant on the other end of the line and what their admit status is so I'll know whether to address them with "Hello" or "STOP CALLING ME" or even just "You've got the wrong number, the line for admissions is xxxxx, you should call them instead". :P