Good sign?

girlseekingphd

I recently decided to visit my first choice school before they made their application decisions to get a better feel for the program and to try and make a really good impression. I will be flying to visit the campus next week. I scheduled a general campus tour and I contacted the graduate office in my department asking if it would be possible to receive a tour of the facility and possibly meet with a faculty member. My former undergraduate advisor and my mentor told me this was smart and showed that I was serious about their program. When I hadn't heard a reply to my email for several days, I started to worry. But I was hesitant to call and ask. SO GLAD I DID, THOUGH! The switchboard transferred me to the main line and the Graduate Studies Coordinator just happened to pick up (I didn't even tell her I was a potential grad student). I hadn't even finished my first sentence. I got out my name and he interrupted, "Oh, Elizabeth, you're applying for...etc., etc." Anyway, he knew exactly who I was without me having to remind him. He told me admissions stuff had gotten backed up but that he had a full itinerary planned for my visit next week. I get to observe a classroom, a full tour, and have lunch with a graduate student. He thanked me and told me he was glad I'd followed up.

So two things: Is this a good sign? And secondly, be encouraged to contact if you have questions! I was so surprised that anyone cared or remembered me. And this is one of the biggest universities in the country.

Well it's always a good sign if they remember your name. It means there was something in your application that stuck out with hundreds of applications the program receives. With that said, I wouldn't read too much into it. You don't know if the person remembered your name because they were just looking over your file or if they remember it because they were writing your decision letter.

No matter why they remembered your name, I think it is a good sign. If you were tossed off the pile in the first cut, there is no way they would remember your name or bother setting up a visit for you, in my opinion.

Good luck!! I hope you make it in!

Yeah, but it'd be a special kind of cruel if they only remembered her name because they were writing her rejection letter but telling her they set up a whole day's worth of visiting activties...I highly doubt that's the case.

I wouldn't say you're in, OP, but I'd say it's a POSITIVE sign. Lucky you!

girlseekingphd:

I would not be so excited about the fact they remembered your name. Presumably, they could remember your name and application for a million reasons, some of them not flattering. I would be more excited about the fact that they have scheduled things for you to do during your visit. I would think that if they felt you were not a likely candidate for admission that they would not waste time with your visit. But, who knows what these adcoms really think? :D They're not human, the way they make us wait until mid-March!

Good luck!

One of my professors said it was a good sign that they had set up things for me to see and do while I am there. He graduated from this same program (albeit 20 years ago). While he was there, he served on the graduate admissions committee. He said if an applicant wasn't really being considered they would only do the bare minimum in terms of their tour, etc. Having an itinerary seems promising. I'm also hoping that the fact that my professor DID go there, wrote me a strong letter of rec, and a personal note to a friend of his who is on the faculty telling him to watch out for my application weighs in my favor. Thoughts on any of that? At this point, it's all conjecture, really. And also completely out of my hands. :(

I would say the only thing it *might* be safe to assume is you made the first, bare minimum cut. If let's say your app. was incomplete or just really unimpressive, they hopefully wouldn't be so cruel as to still set you up with an itinerary and encourage you to fly there to visit. I would hope that you're at least in the top 60% of the applicant pool, ideally higher, if they're facilitating a visit like that.

It sounds like based on your other credentials you have a good shot though - good luck!

I absolutely think having someone/anyone from the faculty on your side is always good. I've talked to a few profs who have served on adcoms who say that often faculty will come in and "claim" someone they want to work with, or adcoms will send out profiles to possible research fits, asking that prof if this applicant is someone they would want to take on. If the personal friend your prof contacted is someone YOU mentioned you want to work with, I think it will be very good.

Also, the fact that someone who wrote your LOR went to the program also helps...he knows what that programs entails/expects, and can speak to your ability to flourish in it.

I am in a similar situation....someone from the faculty on my side, but not on the adcom. Perhaps I am just hopeful this stuff matters. But, there is also someone who wrote me a LOR who is a hot shot, and was heavily courted by and will be moving to University X in the department I applied to next year. This will be good, right?

I am in a similar situation....someone from the faculty on my side, but not on the adcom. Perhaps I am just hopeful this stuff matters.

Me too. I got an informal email from a professor that he and his colleagues in my subject area were supporting my application, but who knows what that means vis-a-vis internal departmental politics. But it's better than hearing the opposite!

:wink: Isn't that the entire reason for this section, "Waiting It Out?" Because we can't do anything else BUT come up with "signs," etc? I'm trying to have a good sense of humor about the whole application process. I definitely appreciate anyone replying to my post because it means I'm not as alone as I feel.

all of you need to stop reading into things as if they're 'signs'. the only 'sign' you'll get is the letter that says if you are in or you are out.

the person picks up the phone and remembers your name. you know what that's a sign of? a decent memory. THATS IT. stop trying to interpret things for what they aren't.

Although we are all thankful for your wisdom, I highly doubt that your voice of rationality (albeit couched in sarcasm) is going to suddenly change anyone's approach to the waiting game. To the extent that your finely tuned sensibilities are offended by expressions of anxiety, might I suggest that you avoid reading threads titled with such names as "Good sign?"

Frankdux:

If we all upset you so much, why are you here? In other posts, you've mocked people's chances of getting into programs--even proposing a wager against one poster's chances. I just don't get it. I think it's great that there is a community where I can let go and speak about my anxieties with others who feel the same way and understand. I come to gradcafe.com to commiserate and get/share info. I am not coming here to be ridiculed or questioned.

:wink: Isn't that the entire reason for this section, "Waiting It Out?" Because we can't do anything else BUT come up with "signs," etc? I'm trying to have a good sense of humor about the whole application process. I definitely appreciate anyone replying to my post because it means I'm not as alone as I feel.

I completely agree. I start threads and reply to posts because I am crazy and I want to make sure everyone else is just as crazy as me, and it is also nice to sort of get to know people in your prospective field.

Frankdux:

If we all upset you so much, why are you here? In other posts, you've mocked people's chances of getting into programs--even proposing a wager against one poster's chances. I just don't get it. I think it's great that there is a community where I can let go and speak about my anxieties with others who feel the same way and understand. I come to gradcafe.com to commiserate and get/share info. I am not coming here to be ridiculed or questioned.

Unfortunately there will always be those with fragile senses of self-worth, which can only be supported by repeated attempts to distinguish themselves as somehow better than others.

I completely agree. I start threads and reply to posts because I am crazy and I want to make sure everyone else is just as crazy as me, and it is also nice to sort of get to know people in your prospective field.

Agreed. We consciously know that most of this is bs, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who is waiting with bated breath for the mail to come.

pipe down, missy. i just gave the most realistic response in this entire thread. a bit rough? maybe. could have been worded nicer? probably. unrealistic? not in the least.

Funny you assume linden is a "missy." How did you reach this conclusion?

Hey, I always appreciate honesty. I know the world of graduate admissions is a rough place. And while frankdux may have confirmed my own worries about personal inadequacy, he did not offend me. I have a degree in theatre, one of the few fields where you can still be rejected because of height, weight, ethnicity, disability, gender, and personal appearance. I'm pretty used to personal criticism and rejection. This is nothing. 8)

Thank you so much to every poster who bothered to comment. That's why I joined this site. To get connected with others who are experiencing the same things I am. I appreciate your kindness and willingness to listen. You made me smile. Good luck to everyone who is applying!