Is a Master's degree worth anything?

WornOutGrad

I am currently in a Meteorology M.S. program. After a year and a half of doing it, I've realized that I like the classes, and the teaching/TA duties, but I really don't care for research, especially research/academic culture at this level. I'm also pretty burnt out. Well, ideally, Grad School is supposed to be all about research, and everything else is supposed to be a nagging formality. For me, I really feel like its the other way around.

Unfortunately, the culture in my department is very pro-research and pro-sending students to PhD programs, which is something I DON'T want to do. I feel like a complete loser because of this. Is a Masters degree worth anything, or should I just give up because I don't want a PhD?

Don't give up. It sounds like your very close to completing the Master's and you should get something for all the work you've put in. Take comfort, an M.S. is probably more valuable than an M.A. and will make you more employable than a B.Sc. alone. It's probably also a good idea not to pursue a PhD if your not into research.

In metereology? There are several places you can work with an MS - NOAA, the U.S. military, the Weather Service, and a bunch of for-profit weather outfits like the Weather Channel.

I wanted to be a metereologist growing up.

In metereology? There are several places you can work with an MS - NOAA, the U.S. military, the Weather Service, and a bunch of for-profit weather outfits like the Weather Channel.

I wanted to be a metereologist growing up.

Same here. Remember, OP, you're there for your own purposes, not your advisor's or department's. Roll with the punches where you must, but in your mind know that you're there to earn your Master's and that will certainly help you land a job whether it's with AccuWeather, TWC, at a hedge fund (there's a huge demand on the Street for this) or a host of others (NWS actually keeps a list http://www.nws.noaa....im/dirintro.htm ) or if you have to there's always the government (with the NWS).

Also, you should know (this info is from someone I've lost touch with but I see it corroborated elsewhere online) that you can use your modeling and programming experience in other fields. You could find work doing quantitative analysis. Even people I know in quantitative psych. who have a strong background are very in demand to do statistical modeling.

Edited by long_time_lurker

• 3 weeks later...

I second the sentiments about not going further with this after the Master's. Even if this degree is not fully funded, finish it as it will be beneficial. I think there's a bit of academic influence type of thing where anything below a Ph.D is worthless. Things don't work like that in the industry.

• 2 weeks later...

Is your program funded? If it is a free degree, then there is nothing to lose besides time.

Two things:

1. My program is funded, BUT I still need student loans to survive. I've found the income I make to be very unreliable.

2. Honestly, that last statement is probably the #1 reason why I don't want a PhD. Time is extremely valuable. I think the Eric Carrieras of this world truly don't appreciate that, and that's why they blow every waking second in the lab and expect their poor grad students/postdocs to do the same.

I'd rather have a life than a PhD.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the only people who can answer if a Master's is worth anything are people in your field. In my field, engineering, a master's is worth a lot. But there are other fields, like physics, where a master's is worthless. In physics, all the jobs are either for BS or PhD holders. It makes no sense to get an MS in Physics in most cases. You have to ask people in your field.

• 3 weeks later...

Is a Master’s Degree worth anything? OF COURSE!!!!

For some occupations, attaining a master's degree is the most worthwhile way to earn a comfortable salary. It's typically beneficial to students who have clearly defined career goals, or people who are already working in their fields of choice, but wish to advance further and gain additional responsibility by mastering their disciplines. If done right, a master's degree can accumulate quite a return.

According to the US Census Bureau, a master's is worth $1.3 million more on average than just a high school diploma. In their lifetimes, high school graduates make $1.2 million, bachelor's degree holders make $2.1 million and master's degree holders make $2.5 million – that's more than double high school graduates and $400,000 more than those who have bachelor's degrees. On a yearly basis, those with master's degrees earn around $10,000 more than those with bachelor's degrees. Check out www.mastersdegree.net for more information regarding this matter.

This is only on the financial aspect though. We all know there is more to a master’s degree than money, right? But nonetheless, would you settle for an income that's “just enough?”

Yet again, we all know getting a master’s is heavy on the pocket. We know there are online master’s degrees but doubted if they're worth it. Fortunately, they're getting credited nowadays. The government provides a list of agencies it recognizes: the National Center for Education Statistics' College Navigator has a database that's useful to consult when searching for a quality master's degree program.

In some professions (i.e., social work, urban planning, counseling, public health), the master's degree is the entry-level requirement for career advancement and licensing/certification. Thus, the master's degree is not a worthless investment at all.

Michigan girl is right. Depending on what you want to do in meteorology, you may need a master's degree. Hang in there and know that you will be able to survive with loans once you get a job.