Anybody else stuck??

T-minus 4 days until my first round of apps are due (!!!!!), but you wouldn't know it from my lack of motivation this weekend.

Yes, I still have SOPs to edit/polish/individualize, personal histories and diversity statements to come up with, and let's not even talk about the work my writing samples need. At least all of my scores, transcripts, and LORs are taken care of and my online applications themselves are 85% complete.

So how are you guys doing? Who else has Dec. 1st deadlines? What tricks are you using to help you stay motivated?

Edited by bespeckled

I have 2 December 1st deadlines, and I have no tricks. I have been working my ass off, well, as much as I can, the last few days to work on my SOPs and Writing Sample. I am not done with either one. Boo.

I only had one December 1st deadline and it is done... well, except my stupid professors haven't sent in their recs yet, even though they've known about this for months now. *sigh*

2 out of the 3 of my LORs have sent in their letters for both of my Dec. 1st deadlines, but one of the schools allows an additional fourth letter, and that one hasn't been submitted yet, either. I am trying to get done as quickly as possible because I teach during the week, so once Monday hits, it's going to be really hard for me to get anything done.

Tea worked for me.

:P Tea is also my caffeine delivery system of choice, and something definitely missing from my low-mo weekend.

I have 2 December 1st deadlines, and I have no tricks. I have been working my ass off, well, as much as I can, the last few days to work on my SOPs and Writing Sample. I am not done with either one.

We'll get 'er done, Timshel! Glad you've had a productive weekend. I was working my ass off right up until Tuesday night then pffffffffffft. Like a deflated balloon.

I've got two Dec 1 deadlines---let's just say you aren't alone. It's gonna be tight. B)

Ha, glad to hear I'm not alone. I've got a whopping FOUR apps due on the 1st, then another due on the 5th. Woe/Whoa.

Oh, and my MA thesis proposal defense is now scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. Plus my teaching supervisor's coming to observe me the same day to write me a teaching rec (due on the 15th). What.

2 out of the 3 of my LORs have sent in their letters for both of my Dec. 1st deadlines, but one of the schools allows an additional fourth letter, and that one hasn't been submitted yet, either. I am trying to get done as quickly as possible because I teach during the week, so once Monday hits, it's going to be really hard for me to get anything done.

Timshel -

How are you determining when to send a fourth LOR? Some of my schools' online apps technically allow a 4th letter, but the dept website instructions specifically say not to send more than 3. I'd love to send four if possible...

Thanks for reminding me to check and see if LORs have been submitted. That might help me motivate!

And I hear you about the teaching. I'm in the same boat, but I've only got one section (compared to your many) so it's at the bottom of my worry list for this week. Sorry, students!

Timshel -

How are you determining when to send a fourth LOR? Some of my schools' online apps technically allow a 4th letter, but the dept website instructions specifically say not to send more than 3. I'd love to send four if possible...

Thanks for reminding me to check and see if LORs have been submitted. That might help me motivate!

And I hear you about the teaching. I'm in the same boat, but I've only got one section (compared to your many) so it's at the bottom of my worry list for this week. Sorry, students!

Well, I am only sending in a fourth letter to one school, Minnesota, because the English website specifically states a minimum of three but no more than four. For the other schools I am applying, if the website did not explicitly state three, I emailed to make sure, and they all said only three. Just Minnesota allows for a fourth. Well, and UMass Amherst wants a fourth if you have taught before to have someone speak to your teaching, but that's it.

I wish I could put teaching on the back burner this week, but their final essays are due at the end of next week, and I still have their previous essays to grade and hand back, so I need to get on that!

Edited by Timshel

Well, I am only sending in a fourth letter to one school, Minnesota, because the English website specifically states a minimum of three but no more than four. For the other schools I am applying, if the website did not explicitly state three, I emailed to make sure, and they all said only three. Just Minnesota allows for a fourth. Well, and UMass Amherst wants a fourth if you have taught before to have someone speak to your teaching, but that's it.

I wish I could put teaching on the back burner this week, but their final essays are due at the end of next week, and I still have their previous essays to grade and hand back, so I need to get on that!

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Yeah, I only have one school that seems to allow four LORs, then two other schools that require separate teaching application materials.

Ditto on the teaching needs. My class's big paper is due on Wednesday, and I still have a set of papers to grade and return plus another assignment. I should at least be grading this weekend if nothing else, sheesh.

Good luck with your teaching/grading/apps this week! : )

I've been spending a good chunk of everyday at Starbucks since Friday. It's been really hard for me to get much done, since I'm home for winter break now and, well, my family's house is not the most study-friendly space! Thankfully, I got a bunch of research done yesterday, and I've been scouting out nearby university libraries where I might find a few more things that Google Books was only half able to provide for me. First thing up for today is submitting my Texas app so that my profs have time to upload their letters, now that I know I can upload documents after submitting.

Sheeesh, this is hard, though. I've been talking to one of my friends who's a first year grad student now, and she said this application process was the most difficult thing she's done in her life. I really, truly think they make it this hard just to weed out candidates before they even start.

Ugh I could not imagine being somewhere I couldn't just sit in silence. Starbucks has never been a productive study area for me because if I hear the slightest noise I start paying attention to that. Too distracting. I have, however, been mainlining maxwell house with international delight cinnabon creamer this weekend. DELISH. Gotta bring the coffee house to the house! I'm determined to have my KU SOP done and the major edits done to my WS by tonight. I've also gotta squeeze in GRE study time - I take it again next Monday --- ah! I feel like I just took that thing. Good Lord, I gotta get off the website and back to work. Until my next mental break -------

Edited by lolopixie

Thankfully, I got a bunch of research done yesterday, and I've been scouting out nearby university libraries where I might find a few more things that Google Books was only half able to provide for me.

Sheeesh, this is hard, though. I've been talking to one of my friends who's a first year grad student now, and she said this application process was the most difficult thing she's done in her life. I really, truly think they make it this hard just to weed out candidates before they even start.

Bdon, are you doing research for your writing sample? Good luck!

Agreeing with the "weeding out" idea: I mean, if you aren't super organized and on top of it, how on earth would someone be able to keep track of all the individual requirements for each application? Applying to my MA program was a cakewalk compared to this; granted I have 12 applications now vs. 1, but still.

Thank god for good music, wifi, sunny cold days, and my long-needed tea. Time to power through! :D

One December 1st, and another on the 2nd.

SoP revisions have my head spinning. Glad to know I'm in good company. 2 of 3 LoR writers still don't have their letters in, and I resent the notification email yesterday. I met with mine well in advance, and I've checked in with them less than a month ago. Trying to sit on my hands so I don't pick up the phone and bug them about it tomorrow.

I spent some time on the GradCafe results survey this morning, and I'm seeing where people have already received acceptance from submitting their apps in October. Stressed.

I spent some time on the GradCafe results survey this morning, and I'm seeing where people have already received acceptance from submitting their apps in October. Stressed.

I just looked and refined search by English. The last post was in March 2011. I highly doubt people have gotten accepted to English programs already. I had my applications in last year in October and didn't hear back from anyone until late February. :blink:

I just looked and refined search by English. The last post was in March 2011. I highly doubt people have gotten accepted to English programs already. I had my applications in last year in October and didn't hear back from anyone until late February. :blink:

Yeah, maybe I should have qualified what I said. My work is interdisc, so my program list is somewhat unconventional. Nothing posted, though, from any of my programs, and I doubt there will be. Just the thought of some affirmation this time of year is so enviable.

Ugh I could not imagine being somewhere I couldn't just sit in silence. Starbucks has never been a productive study area for me because if I hear the slightest noise I start paying attention to that. Too distracting.

Haha, I'm exactly the opposite. I was in a library for about an hour today and that was all I could take. I can't handle too much quiet!

Bdon, are you doing research for your writing sample? Good luck!

Yep. Of course I decided less than a week ago (with very solid prodding from two of my letter writers) that my writing sample wasn't even close to ready, so I'm now using a different paper. Now, I'm desperately trying to make it less "undergrad-y". Gahhhhh.

Note to others: Never agree to go to lunch with two letter writers at the same time. They will double-team brainwash you into thinking your brilliant paper is a piece of crap. ;akjs;dljfl;kjas;lkjd;lfj;alksjdf

Haha, I'm exactly the opposite. I was in a library for about an hour today and that was all I could take. I can't handle too much quiet!

My habits have changed a lot as of late. Through undergrad, I needed complete silence to study. Then, senior year, I got really into ambient music while I was studying.

Over the last year, I started to really like listening to small combo jazz while I studied. Now? Sometimes I will listen to straight up rock music while I read. It's weird. The older I get, the more noise I need to concentrate.

That being said, I usually try to get out of the house to study, whether at the library or a cafe, because I need to be away from internet and computer influences. As is evidenced by my regular posting status here, I have a severe problem. I need an intervention. When I'm on the internet, I feel like I'm walking on sunshine! Just let me walk on the sunshine a little longer...

Oh, and this: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html

WellSpring, be careful because I was told by former Adcomm committees that if you do things like send more letters than asked, it could get you weeded out very quickly because they feel like you don't know how to follow directions. Also, as someone else said, it gives you less control over which letter they read because when I contacted one school, they told me that if I sent more than 3, they would only read the first three sent.

Bdon, don't feel too bad, I was still doing research up until last night. I needed to add some more recent stuff to my sample, so I was going through it up until last night.

Edited by Timshel

I'm going through and adding textual evidence to my sample right now. Been working on that for a while now. It isn't additional research per se, but it is extremely time consuming going through a 300 page novel and trying to remember where in the book the quote I'm looking for is. I wish my hard copy novel had the control F function!

Yep. Of course I decided less than a week ago (with very solid prodding from two of my letter writers) that my writing sample wasn't even close to ready, so I'm now using a different paper. Now, I'm desperately trying to make it less "undergrad-y". Gahhhhh.

Note to others: Never agree to go to lunch with two letter writers at the same time. They will double-team brainwash you into thinking your brilliant paper is a piece of crap. ;akjs;dljfl;kjas;lkjd;lfj;alksjdf

That's why editing takes so much longer than I thought it would. I forgot to allow time to go from a state of euphoria over how good I think my paper's central argument is to how bad I now believe it sux.

...and I did that all on my own, without input from anyone :)

... I usually try to get out of the house to study, whether at the library or a cafe, because I need to be away from internet and computer influences. As is evidenced by my regular posting status here, I have a severe problem. I need an intervention. When I'm on the internet, I feel like I'm walking on sunshine! Just let me walk on the sunshine a little longer...

Oh, and this: http://hyperboleanda...r-be-adult.html

I'm not going to intervene, because I find great solace in your frequent posts. I hope we both get in to BU.