UMASS - Amherst

Ok, UMass's web site and application process is so different from the others, I feel like it requires its own thread.

I have submitted my application [by MAILING my hard-copy writing sample to the Graduate School -- NOT the English Department].

NOTE: If you can't convert your SOP to Pdf, you can cut and past the text, OR you have the option of mailing a hard copy with your writing sample, just FYI.

Now, I'd love to check the status of my application; transcripts, LORs, etc. but can't for the life of me find the correct log in to do it!?@?! Sometimes, I find a screen that asks for a log in id different from the one I used in my application, but I haven't been sent any credentials like this.

Anyone know anything?

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Yikes. I haven't started mine yet. I was hoping to take a few days off before getting on to the rest of them. I am so mad that I have to mail things in. It's just another thing I have to worry about and pay for.

You should log in and do a click through for all your applications, really. As I do that, I make a desktop file for all the various apply online website pages and different user names [because you KNOW some only allow 6 characters, others use your email, etc.]

You should log in and do a click through for all your applications, really. As I do that, I make a desktop file for all the various apply online website pages and different user names [because you KNOW some only allow 6 characters, others use your email, etc.]

I do have a sheet with all my log in stuff and what not once I start the applications, but to be completely honest, I am extremely busy so I just haven't had the time to open all of them. I teach at a university full time and I work at the writing center on campus part time, so between those two and my never-ending grading, I am just not as ahead as I should be.

Okay, question. So, I have mail in materials to both UMass and Buffalo, both with due dates of December 15th. How long do you think it would take for the materials to get there? I am trying desperately to get my stuff done to mail them off, but I am swamped with grading, so I am wondering what would be the last day I could send it before it won't get there in time. I mean, I plan to hopefully have it in the next day, and I'm assuming it shouldn't take longer than a week to get there (I am also on the east coast, but not in either of those states), so that would give me until like Thursday to mail it, but I am just freaking out a little. I mean, I know I could send it priority if I had to, but that's just even MORE money.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone turned in the separate application the composition program yet? It's not due until February, so I'm not going to worry about it until the rest of my applications are done. However, I do find it a little weird that EVERYONE has to send in an application. You would think that they would just ask those who were admitted to send one in. Seems a little unnecessary.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone completed and mailed the application for the composition program? I think I am going to email them today because the letter or recommendation aspect is a little confusing.

Okay, so I don't know where all of my UMass peeps are, but I am working on the TA application (boo) and it says this:

Two letters of recommendation. Letters submitted as a part of your application for graduate study in the English Department will automatically be transferred to this application. If you have had teaching experience, we encourage you to send us an additional letter referring to this work.

So, I am assuming that the only letter of recommendation I need to send in would be the additional letter from someone who can refer to my teaching, right?

Then, it also says to list the two people whose LOR they will receive, which is confusing because I submitted 3 to the department. How should I know which two they will get forwarded?

Grrrr... I am so annoyed that this application for a TAship seems to be more complicated than any of the other applications.

I understood that to mean that, in addition to the application, I only needed to submit a letter outlining my experience. Since I haven't taught a course, there would be no point in submitting extra letters. Perhaps I'm just too optimistic.

I understood that to mean that, in addition to the application, I only needed to submit a letter outlining my experience. Since I haven't taught a course, there would be no point in submitting extra letters. Perhaps I'm just too optimistic.

Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Well, I have sent them an email, so I'll let you know what I find out, if someone responds.

Okay, so basically they said that on the application you should list the two LOR you want the English department to forward them. If you don't list two, they will just pick them at random. Then, if you have taught before, send an additional letter from someone who can speak to your teaching.

As for the writing sample they want you to send, as part of section I of the application, they want only a 3-5 page piece of writing.