UMASS - Amherst

Is anyone else in UMASS limbo? I've seen some people post that they are waitlisted, so I'm assuming all acceptances are out. Rejections are online, but I have heard nothing either way
:(

I am also in limbo. Many have said that they received an email to check their status and they were rejected, so I checked my application and there is still no decision. They have already notified acceptances and waitlisters, so I'm not sure what is going on...

I'm waitlisted and my status says "applied"

Hmmm... Then I wonder how come people are getting emails to check status and it's a rejection, but I have yet to get a call and nothing has changed on the page.....

I finally got my rejection, at 2am. Nice. I'm glad they took their sweet time. This whole process is getting to me....

Sorry to hear that, Timshel. :( There goes our chance to be classmates.

At least you have that awesome UCR acceptance to keep you warm!! I guess this again shows how the process is not about quality of school v. quality of student; I probably wouldn't have gotten into UCR.

Sorry to hear that, Timshel. :( There goes our chance to be classmates.

At least you have that awesome UCR acceptance to keep you warm!! I guess this again shows how the process is not about quality of school v. quality of student; I probably wouldn't have gotten into UCR.

Thanks. To be honest, I would have chosen UCR over it anyway, but this whole process seems so random and soul-sucking...

Has anyone here already interviewed with the Writing Program? (Not sure what their overall timeline is.)

Also, I'm trying to decipher their website (as well as the English dept.) Looks like the Writing Program only gets you 2 years of funding, then you can teach lit courses. Once you move on past the Writing Program, do you guys know if they guarantee these other classes / tuition remission / funding? I'll ask in person, too, but the idea of having to quit halfway through because I'm too poor is pretty disheartening.

Also, since I'm heading out there this week, any suggestions about what to see/visit/eat (on- or off-campus)? I'm "close" but have never been out that way; figure I should make the 2 hour drive worth it.

@ katelynann-

From the acceptance e-mail: "Students selected for our MA/Ph.D. program and hired by the Writing Program receive 14 semesters of support as teaching assistants." I'm assuming this includes teaching both writing and/or English courses.

I also figured I'd make the trip to do the interview in person (later this week). I have to drive down to NJ after, so unfortunately won't be able to get much of a feel for the campus or the town - but I am going to make sure I check out the library while I'm there (tallest library in the U.S. - 26 floors?! I can't resist).

I'm pretty nervous about the interview (I have no formal teaching experience), and have been reading up on the Writing Program via their website all day (amidst all this anxiety about Brown - and my first, albeit expected, rejection... NOT helping!)

Best of luck with your interview!

Has anyone here already interviewed with the Writing Program? (Not sure what their overall timeline is.)

I would love to hear feedback/advice from interviewees - and I'll be sure to contribute after mine.

@Isidore:

Thanks! Since I was waitlisted, I didn't get the same email as you guys. Definitely clears things up! I'll add my contributions after this week's interview, too. Sounds like the library is a good stop.

We also have pretty similar application lists (I did my undergrad & grad at Clark). I suppose I should figure out how to add that thing at the bottom of posts, huh?

Good luck. I would say "strength in numbers," but numbers seem to keep kicking us when we're down these days.

Edited by katelynann

Interview feedback: They were very relaxed and informal. I spoke with Peggy Woods (assistant director), who was a pleasure to converse with. Interesting tidbit was that they don't have a formal TA evaluation system. They're willing to let you keep going so long as you have an eye toward improving your teaching.

Am I a lone wolf here as a waitlisted candidate who still interviewed? I noticed a bunch of wait list posts on the results board back when UMass was notifying - as I said before, the process seemed a bit odd to me. I want to take it as a good sign, but lean toward interpreting it as a paperwork error that put them in an odd position.

Also, one must ask, I suppose...Any accepted to UMass who are leaning toward other offers? Stephen Clingman was really cordial, saying he'd give as clear a picture as possible as things progress, but I suppose it's more telling to ask you guys directly. This wait list is my glimmer of hope so far...

Thanks for letting us know what it's like katelynnann!!

To answer your question about your waitlist, UMass is #3 choice of current acceptances/waitlists, so I'm not likely to go there. However, I want to visit the campus before I make a decision and I won't be able to do that until later March. If I get into Rutgers, Yale, or Harvard before then, then I probably will not visit.

I think long story short, my space will probably free up. B)

katelynann - Thanks for the interview feedback! Mine is tomorrow, and I've been nervous all day.

The Writing Program website (which I've been reading frantically all day in "preparation" for the interview) definitely makes it sound like they only interview admitted candidates - and not even all of them. So, I'll bet you're FIRST on the waitlist - almost as good as IN - and they just wanted to interview you because odds are you'll end up getting an offer.

katelynann - Thanks for the interview feedback! Mine is tomorrow, and I've been nervous all day.

The Writing Program website (which I've been reading frantically all day in "preparation" for the interview) definitely makes it sound like they only interview admitted candidates - and not even all of them. So, I'll bet you're FIRST on the waitlist - almost as good as IN - and they just wanted to interview you because odds are you'll end up getting an offer.

I love how positive and supportive this board is. :) I agree with your points too.

Interview feedback: They were very relaxed and informal. I spoke with Peggy Woods (assistant director), who was a pleasure to converse with. Interesting tidbit was that they don't have a formal TA evaluation system. They're willing to let you keep going so long as you have an eye toward improving your teaching.

Am I a lone wolf here as a waitlisted candidate who still interviewed? I noticed a bunch of wait list posts on the results board back when UMass was notifying - as I said before, the process seemed a bit odd to me. I want to take it as a good sign, but lean toward interpreting it as a paperwork error that put them in an odd position.

Also, one must ask, I suppose...Any accepted to UMass who are leaning toward other offers? Stephen Clingman was really cordial, saying he'd give as clear a picture as possible as things progress, but I suppose it's more telling to ask you guys directly. This wait list is my glimmer of hope so far...

Thanks a lot for the interview feedback! I've been prepping a bit for my interview as well, and it's nice to know that they are pretty cordial and informal.That definitely takes a bit of the edge off.

I'm probably going to decline their offer, as I have another offer where the funding is more competitive. However, like Trip, I will not know for sure until I visit both places. So here's hoping you get one of our spots! B)

Edited by Stately Plump

I had a telephone interview with David Fleming, an English professor who directed the writing programme for several years. Like you, Isidore, I read up on the programme (don't they have a great website?), and it's very exciting. I asked about some of their activities and what they've been doing in recent years, and I was impressed. Admittedly, I would have been happy just to see no mention of Strunk & White (Language Log's Geoffrey K. Pullum on the subject: link), but I think I'd genuinely enjoy working in the programme.

The interview was, of course, also an interview, so there were suitable questions. How do I approach writing? What's something I've written recently and how did I go about writing it? How might I approach teaching a first-year writing course? Do you have any teaching or classroom experience? Since you've already written the original application (including the commenting on a student paper section) and have read the website (especially the sections on the programme's goals and philosophy), I wouldn't expect any questions to take you by surprise. I hadn't done this sort of thing before and was quite nervous, but it wasn't an intense interview by any means, and I relaxed as we talked. I thought it went well overall.

That said, I've now been mentally replaying it and imagining the dazzling things I could have said were I not a blockhead. You are not a blockhead. Don't start thinking you are as soon as the interview is over. Best of luck!

That said, I've now been mentally replaying it and imagining the dazzling things I could have said were I not a blockhead. You are not a blockhead. Don't start thinking you are as soon as the interview is over. Best of luck!

Thank you - your post put me a bit more at ease - and it made me laugh. I'm sure everyone walks away from an interview feeling somewhat like a blockhead - I hope I'm just relieved enough to have a celebratory drink afterward (um... before noon? sure!) and forget about what I might have said. I wouldn't be so nervous if I had any teaching experience to speak of. It sounds like you did quite well - congrats, and maybe I'll be seeing you in the Fall!

I have no teaching experience either, a fact I just acknowledged. Their programme looks hospitable, and I'd like to begin to learn to teach there. I asked about Writing Butterfield (link), which is listed as 'Under Construction' there but (I now know) is a dorm dedicated to writing and literature. Where was that at my undergrad? I also asked for more information about their computer sections of first-year writing and what teachers have been doing with them. Ask for elaboration on whatever you find especially interesting.

UMass is at the top of my list right now, so, if funding works out, we might well see each other next autumn. Best of luck tomorrow!

Addendum: I waited by my telephone, which rang at the appointed time, so I'd say you should just wait for the call.

Edited by Lyrus

I'm tired of reading this website; I feel like I'm in comp/rhet hell right now.

Wow. They want you to go to SO MANY MEETINGS AND WORKSHOPS AND STUFF. Suddenly the 2/2 load at CUNY is looking pretty awesome.

Edited by TripWillis