UMASS - Amherst

Um, so I just got a voicemail from the writing department asking me to set up an interview for a teaching assistantship... so... does this mean I got accepted??? I mean, if I'm 3/3 at this point my head is going to explode.

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I got the same phone call. Originally I thought it meant that I had an interview for funding, but not necessarily that I got accepted to the program, since the application processes were separate. Check this though: http://www.umass.edu/english/graduate/admissions.html

It says "Once you are admitted (and if you have applied for funding), then you will be interviewed by the Writing Program" which certainly sounds to me like the WP only interviews people who have been accepted.

You might be 3/3 Trip! And this might be my first admit!

Um, so I just got a voicemail from the writing department asking me to set up an interview for a teaching assistantship... so... does this mean I got accepted??? I mean, if I'm 3/3 at this point my head is going to explode.

We applied to many of the same schools, so maybe I'll sneak in off the waitinglist at one thanks to you!

We applied to many of the same schools, so maybe I'll sneak in off the waitinglist at one thanks to you!

Or we'll just both get accepted. :) Pullin' for ya.

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I got the same phone call. Originally I thought it meant that I had an interview for funding, but not necessarily that I got accepted to the program, since the application processes were separate. Check this though: http://www.umass.edu...admissions.html

It says "Once you are admitted (and if you have applied for funding), then you will be interviewed by the Writing Program" which certainly sounds to me like the WP only interviews people who have been accepted.

You might be 3/3 Trip! And this might be my first admit!

It's looking pretty good. I don't want to make the official announcement yet, but it is looking VERY good. Tentative congrats!

Guys... this is starting to freak me out... now I don't know where to go to school... and like... what if I get into... the H-school? :ph34r: #PhDAdmitProblems #humblebrag

Edited by TripWillis

Or we'll just both get accepted. :) Pullin' for ya.

It's looking pretty good. I don't want to make the official announcement yet, but it is looking VERY good. Tentative congrats!

Guys... this is starting to freak me out... now I don't know where to go to school... and like... what if I get into... the H-school? :ph34r: #PhDAdmitProblems #humblebrag

What about the Y school?

Really starting to get bummed. Where's my phone call :(

:( They just called me back... I didn't quite have the guts to ask if this meant I was accepted, but I guess it's implicit. My interview for the TAship (a very reasonable 1/1 load for 14,000 and a tuition and fee waiver) is 02/24. Already nervous.

Just scheduled my interview! I figured I would go in person, since I live in Boston...

Like everyone else who has posted today, I haven't heard anything about official acceptance, but I say we all just go ahead and assume! Congrats to everyone else, and good luck with your interviews!

So guys, what do you think this interview is going to be like? I do have a good amount of experience, both in teaching and tutoring, so hopefully that helps. I'm just not sure what they're going to ask. Looking back, I thought my description of the good qualities of a teacher was good, but my end comment could've been better.

Edited by TripWillis

I have no idea what to expect in this interview; I don't really have any formal teaching experience (years, ago, I subbed for 2 high school english classes, but that's about it), so that makes me wonder what, exactly, I could possibly talk about, experience-wise. I plan on reading up on the Writing Program via their website, and hoping that (especially since I'm going to interview in person) I will sound like I know what I am talking about.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stately, I notice you were waitlisted at UMD. I haven't heard anything from them, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has either. Do you know what the deal is?

Yea, I should start a thread for this, because a few people have asked me.

I emailed the DGS a few weeks ago. I applied for a Fulbright scholarship to do research in Finland starting in the fall (if I get it). I recently found out I was a finalist, and my application has been forwarded to Finland for final review. I emailed some departments asking about potential deferrals, in case I receive the grant and am admitted.

No other schools mentioned my status, but Maryland said:

"You did not make our first cut, but are on our second list."

I don't know how they know I'm on the second list if they don't have the first list. If they do have the first list, I don't know why they haven't informed people. I received that email on February 2.

You now know as much as I know. It's a mystery to me why they haven't said anything. :huh:

Edited by Stately Plump

+1

I guess all we can do is just get as familiar with the program as is humanly possible, via the writing program website. I feel very lucky to already have a good chunk of experience, but I definitely feel I have my weaknesses and their writing program looks INCREDIBLY organized in comparison to the one in which I currently work. They have like TONS of resources. I guess that's a good thing, though. I wonder if they have one on how to grade papers more quickly. :P

I wonder if they have one on how to grade papers more quickly. :P

Haha!

I think your experience is definitely a plus. I have tutoring experience, but not actual teaching. I also think the writing program/other teaching opportunities after the writing program look really promising. Most of us are going to end up in small, teaching based colleges (as opposed to R1 universities) and everyone I talk to says that experience teaching is what will get you a job. So there are potentially some opportunities there...