UMASS - Amherst

Not sure if you've already come across this: https://webapp.spire.umass.edu/admissions/htdocs/applicant/gradapp_logon.html

You need your Applicant ID and the Admissions access code, which were sent upon receipt of your application. Of course, I've been obsessively checking that all my materials were received, and it looks like at least one of my letter writers procrastinated too long for UMass! Probably the most frustrating part of the application process for me = the 4 or 5 e-mail "reminders" I had to send to my last letter writer (professor and thesis reader) before he finally submitted the darn thing!

Not sure if you've already come across this: https://webapp.spire...dapp_logon.html

You need your Applicant ID and the Admissions access code, which were sent upon receipt of your application. Of course, I've been obsessively checking that all my materials were received, and it looks like at least one of my letter writers procrastinated too long for UMass! Probably the most frustrating part of the application process for me = the 4 or 5 e-mail "reminders" I had to send to my last letter writer (professor and thesis reader) before he finally submitted the darn thing!

Yeah, I already checked that. However, it doesn't tell you if they received your writing sample that you had to mail in, and the date they said they received my GRE scores was actually BEFORE they were even sent, so I emailed to confirm they had everything, and then did. Now I just need to mail in the TO application...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Current UMass undegrad here, also applying to their MA/PhD program. I understand your frustration, even as a UMass undergrad not much was effectively communicated to me. I even had to pay the admissions fee and send my own transcripts within the school! And the whole writing program thing is super bizarre.. strange that they have such a complicated process for a not-so prestigious program (except for maybe Rennaisance studies). I didn't even know you had to indicate which two letters you wanted them to use! They also make it seem on the website that you can be accepted into the department but not the writing program. I also emailed Wanda Bak about what else to submit because their reccomendations on the website are all over the place, but it's like, why say you required a writing sample and then not have a spot for it on the online application/provide any other details about it!? Thankfully everything has been marked as received on the status page for awhile, but it's still very unorganized.

I'm fairly certain I ruined any (already remote) chance of getting admitted to UMass, as I was horribly sick at the time I was working on the application...so I didn't notice that the writing sample had to be emailed until, well, the 15th. I emailed them and asked if I could send it, explaining that in my sick haze I got confused. I know I sounded terrible on the phone, so I was hoping for sympathy. They allowed me to email it, but still...I'm not holding out hope.

I'm fairly certain I ruined any (already remote) chance of getting admitted to UMass, as I was horribly sick at the time I was working on the application...so I didn't notice that the writing sample had to be emailed until, well, the 15th. I emailed them and asked if I could send it, explaining that in my sick haze I got confused. I know I sounded terrible on the phone, so I was hoping for sympathy. They allowed me to email it, but still...I'm not holding out hope.

This does not sound like cause for immediate rejection. If they weren't okay accepting an email, they would have just said no.

This does not sound like cause for immediate rejection. If they weren't okay accepting an email, they would have just said no.

I don't know that I hold out much hope anyway...I just don't feel like I put my best foot forward on this application. Oh well!

I'm not like 100% positive they have my GRE Subject score... their online materials site is a little tough to read. :unsure:

Really? The site I have to log into shows everything that they've received...after you completed the application, did you receive an email with a link to a site to keep tabs?

Edited by TheLadyT

I don't know that I hold out much hope anyway...I just don't feel like I put my best foot forward on this application. Oh well!

Really? The site I have to log into shows everything that they've received...after you completed the application, did you receive an email with a link to a site to keep tabs?

I did. There's this thing on there that says "GRE Subject Test" and then to the right of it there's a date for when it's received, but it's just blank... but, I mean, that would be impossible since my general and subject were sent together on the same score report, so there is absolutely positively no way they didn't receive it... same score report.

I did. There's this thing on there that says "GRE Subject Test" and then to the right of it there's a date for when it's received, but it's just blank... but, I mean, that would be impossible since my general and subject were sent together on the same score report, so there is absolutely positively no way they didn't receive it... same score report.

Ugh! Hope you can get it figured out. I think the notifications for them should come out in a few days, though...

REALLY? Damn! I wouldn't have sent it!

yeah, I didn't realize they didn't need my subject scores until after I sent them. Mine were terrible, so I wish I hadn't sent them. lol. Hopefully they won't hold it against me.

They do not post that! The person that said it is a umass undergrad i believe, so maybe they were able to find that out better than one of us could have. Actually, the subject test shouldn't be required for anyone no matter what their field, but that's another debate...

Hi all! I'm new to the board and (anxiously) waiting for a decision from UMass (I'm Early Modern/Ren Lit) since it will likely be the first program I'll hear from, and I thought this might help. For my GRE section on the application, it says GRE General Test Received 10/15/2011 and then GRE Subject Test Received / /. I don't think it gives a date for the subject scores, and for the first date - that is the date I took the Subject Test, so I just think their dating and explanantion for it just isn't that clear. They'll probably have everything for you guys.

Best of luck - I'm hoping we all hear sometime this week (or, you know, definitely tomorrow for the preservation of sanity).

Hi all! I'm new to the board and (anxiously) waiting for a decision from UMass (I'm Early Modern/Ren Lit) since it will likely be the first program I'll hear from, and I thought this might help. For my GRE section on the application, it says GRE General Test Received 10/15/2011 and then GRE Subject Test Received / /. I don't think it gives a date for the subject scores, and for the first date - that is the date I took the Subject Test, so I just think their dating and explanantion for it just isn't that clear. They'll probably have everything for you guys.

Best of luck - I'm hoping we all hear sometime this week (or, you know, definitely tomorrow for the preservation of sanity).

That's exactly what mine says, and Wanda Bak said she has everything.

Yes, it does say that Americanists are exempt from subject test scores on the english homepage http://www.umass.edu/english/graduate/admissions.html

Like I said, they are so scattered! I probably wouldn't have even known that myself if i didn't get my specialization IN American Studies/was in constant contact with the director. I doubt if you submitted it they will even look at it. A professor told me last week that they were asking around for extra help to review writing samples because they were so overloaded. Maybe they had a higher than average number of applicants? He kind of made it seem like it decisions weren't being made any time (super) soon.