GRE Analytical Writing ... Re-Take?

romenerd

Here's the broadly painted picture: I'm applying for PhD programs in History; 2.9 undergrad GPA in theology; 3.75 grad GPA in theology; 2 years international teaching experience in history; 90th percentile verbal; 36th in math; 29th in analytical writing; 3 stellar recommendations; a solid statement of purpose essay; and a great writing sample. The analytical writing score came as an unpleasant surprise.

I anticipated a score of around 5 instead of 3.5, but I believe I was hurt significantly by the fact that I was not able to finish one of the essays within 30 minutes. Wasn't sure if they would simply score what I had, or if not finishing would hurt. I guess now I know.

Still, in light of everything else, would it be advisable to re-take the GRE? Is it possible to re-take one section only, since I truly do not want to mess with the verbal score? Is it possible to do this while continuing to apply for Fall 2012?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Inquire re: whether your graduate schools and/or programs have an AWA score minimum. My guess is that, if they do, it's a 3 and not a 4, but you should check just to make sure. If not, then I wouldn't retake.

For PhD programs in History, the analytical score could keep you from some of the top programs but it might not matter... some programs don't even look at it. Math is not something to worry about - one of my recommenders flat out said that many prof. regard their poor math ability as a "badge of honor" (tongue-in-cheek, of course) :) Best is to talk to the grad advisors at the school and find out what emphasis, if any, they put on the analytical.

Good morning everyone,

My name is Stefania and I come from Italy. I'm new to this forum so first of all I want to say "Hi" to all of you! I would like to show you my profile so that you can give me your opinion.

I'm a Fulbrighter (just got a special Fulbright scholarship in Italy only for International Relation/Political Science students). My GPA both for undergraduate and graduate studies is 4/4 and my TOEFL is 102/120. Yesterday I got the results of my GRE new version and got 309/340 (159 V/150 Q) which I think are ok especially because this kind of exam is extremely different from our system of study. What shocked me a bit was my result on the AWA section: 2.5!!!! I was really disappointed also because I had experience with english writing (just took a diploma in Energy and International Relations at King's College in London) and have also two publications in the Global Community Yearbook of International Law with the Oxford University Press.

Said so, I realized the AWA section is corrected by a computer (!!!) which give you grades according to some set criteria (length, use of certain words, ...). However the result remain. I don't have time to retake the test cause everything regarding my application is managed by the IIE and not me personally.

I applied for Masters in International Relations at:

Georgetown

NYU

Boston University

Syracuse University

My "writing sample" is good, I hope (is about anarchy and interdependence in the international system). Do you think my bad result on the AWA section of the GRE would affect my application? I'm also looking for some other scholarship: maybe it would be an obstacle??

Thank you very much for your time reading my post.

Stefania

Actually, the AWA is scored by two separate readers; that's why you get your verbal and quantitative scores immediately upon completion of the exam but your writing scores don't come in for two weeks after that. It might be comforting in your situation to think it's a computer gaffe, but actual humans marked your essays.

I'd think the best thing you could do would be to contact the schools you're interested in and see if they have a cut-off for the AWA, and if your writing sample will be enough to offset your mark.

You guys are looking math experts .So i think i am right place .So please solve this question :-

Mary's secret garden contains clones of Homer Simpson and WALL-E. A WALL-E close has 4 legs. Meanwhile, Homer Simpson clones are human and therefore have 2 legs each. A Homer Simpson clone always has 5 donuts, while a WALL-E clone has 2. In Mary's secret garden, there are 184 donuts and 128 legs. How many WALL-E clones are there?

I don't even understand this. Can someone please explain the

answer?

Please solve this 7th Grade Math problem

LOL, neither do we.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Amit28it,

I hope this helps.

Let us signify W for WALL-E and H for Homer clones.

For the legs we have the following equation: 4W+2H=128. Divided by 2 to simplify, we get 2W+1H=64.

For the donuts we have this equation: 2W+5H=184.

Now, we solve for both equations.

Let us multiply the legs equation by -1. We get -2W-1H=-64.

Adding both equations, we get 0W+4H=120 or 4H=120. Solving for H, we get 30.

Inserting the 30 for H in any one of our initial equation, we solve for W and get 17.

Therefore, there are 17 WALL-E clones.