Taking a year off

sa316

I am currently doing that now and it was an excellent choice for me. I found a job at my alma mater and have been able to meet with my former professors regularly (we were already very close) and have a lot of time to focus on my application. Since I was not busy studying for classes, I had ample time to study for the GRE and get great scores. I know it is different for everyone, but taking a year off has made me a MUCH stronger candidate.

It's very dependent on the individual. I didn't, and that was the right decision or me... My wife took a year off, and that was by far the right decision for her.

From what I understand, you need to be able to explain what you did with your time off. Did you work on language skills? Conducted research? Gained experience in your field? I finished my MA last May and I put off my PhD apps until this fall, but I was offered a full-time teaching contract, which has given me valuable insight into what I am going to get myself into. You have to do what is right for you, but committees are going to want to see that you did something valuable with your time off.

I took two years off and it was great. I was able to work on multiple research projects both as an assistant and project coordinator. I could take time to study for GRE's and didn't feel rush to decide on schools and finish applications. I felt a little burnt out after undergrad and didn't want to rush into 6 more years of grad school. However, there are plenty of people who can successfully take classes, study for GREs, work on research, and apply (I hate you, by the way).

I loved taking time off. I could drink a glass of wine and watch some crappy reality tv without feeling guilty.

I am in the process of my year off and it was absolutely necessary. I did it for psychological reasons, and while I didn't put that anywhere on my application, if it came up in an interview I suppose I would have to tell them. I don't have a documented illness per se, but I do know that if I hadn't taken this year off I wouldn't have been able to apply to American schools.

I could take time to study for GRE's and didn't feel rush to decide on schools and finish applications. I felt a little burnt out after undergrad and didn't want to rush into 6 more years of grad school. However, there are plenty of people who can successfully take classes, study for GREs, work on research, and apply (I hate you, by the way).

I loved taking time off. I could drink a glass of wine and watch some crappy reality tv without feeling guilty.

This was basically my rationale. I wish I had my shit together enough to coordinate a research project but that didn't happen. I am training for a half-marathon, but much like having knit a sweater and being an accomplished baker, this appears to be an accomplishment that adcoms don't seem to be much impressed by. Such is life.

From what I understand, you need to be able to explain what you did with your time off. Did you work on language skills? Conducted research? Gained experience in your field? I finished my MA last May and I put off my PhD apps until this fall, but I was offered a full-time teaching contract, which has given me valuable insight into what I am going to get myself into. You have to do what is right for you, but committees are going to want to see that you did something valuable with your time off.

Yes and no. I think faculty are also pretty understanding of "I was getting burnt out, and needed to take a year off to step back and gain some perspective before diving back in". It's better to have someone that's taken time off and is sure that this is what they really want to do then someone who's come straight from an undergrad program and is partially burnt out already.

If you took time off and still wanted to come back, you're probably less likely to decide in the first semester that it's just not for you.

That's not to say you shouldn't have anything to show for the year, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an all-academic push.

Just my 2 cents worth.