Going to grad school in Fall '12, need a job now though

peacebyinches

While I am not accepted to any schools for Fall 2012 yet (since its December still) I have been applying to a lot of schools and assuming one of the numerous programs I applied to accepts me, I will be going to graduate school (for psychology if it matters) next fall.

My issue right now is that I am currently unemployed and my savings are running out quicker than I realize. I am desperate for some advice on what to do, my internet searches haven't helped much at all.

I want to get a job, but am aware that it may not be in my best interest to get a "career-type" job since I would be leaving the job this next summer (in like 6 months or so). I also am adamant that I do not go into a minimum wage type job.

I know it may sound conceited, but I am not going to do a demeaning, bottom rung, low pay job, having graduated college (with honors, good grades, a research internship etc...). I have already played that game. I worked as a manual labor stock-boy at Target for about 7 months, where my coworkers were mostly in high school or had no education, and my bosses were younger than me and never attended college. The job was basically hard physical labor, in between getting yelled at by customers.

I really would like to get a research assistant type job, but is this a feasible goal since I would basically only be able to work there for a few months? I don't even care about the pay, I just want a source of income that doesn't involve being on my feet for 8 hours straight and being treated like I'm a moron. If any of you have been in a similar situation or have some advice for me, it would be immensely appreciated!

Hey-

Try tutoring, or if all else fails, get a job that you hate and quit when you go to grad school. I would recommend pizza delivery- you get minimum plus tips and mileage.

With the economy the way it is, I personally don't feel that there is any room to be prideful in making employment decisions. I've worked all the way through my undergrad at low paying jobs, and it only builds character. Just think, if you work at a terrible job now, when you get to grad school, you'll feel incredible about where your life is going.

Good luck,

J

I agree with the last poster. If you can find a job, you should feel lucky; this is not a time to be picky. In any case, I think a change in attitude would allow you to enjoy any job you have. You can learn something from any job, and not being formally educated does not make one a moron. They probably have years of experience in whatever they do and plenty of skills and knowledge to share with you.

Why not apply at local stores, restaurants, and businesses (which are typically more understanding that you will soon leave) and volunteer in psychology related places at the same time? You are then still developing the specific skills you want, adding to your graduate school resume (in case you are not accepted this year & need to reapply), and you have income coming in. I work as a part time research assistant, a real estate secretary, volunteer at a local harm reduction program, and volunteer at a school.. I am also a Psychology major and most of what I am doing is directly related to my career choices, despite not being full time employment..

I'm in the same position as you, and I felt the same about "bad" jobs, but I think the truth is, we don't have much choice right now. You either work anywhere you can or you don't, and being so close to going to grad school, I guess any job will do.

Echoing what others have said, now is not the time to be picky. I work the odd shift at a local sports park, getting paid minimum wage, and I do it mostly for the fun atmosphere. It may be classed as a low-pay service job, but it's fun and it pays. Most of the employees there are either students or people looking for a little money in addition to their full time job.

You can try looking at any universities/colleges near where you live and apply to any available research assistant jobs, universities usually have open positions. I've found temporary research assistant positions that way in the past. Otherwise, finding work through a temp agency isn't that bad and you can find long term work with good pay. It's definitely better than working retail or working for minimum wage.

• 2 weeks later...

Tutoring is a good option, if you want a short term job. But as per your post, I assume that you want a source of income, and hence want to go for some jobs. I don't know what course you are going to apply, but my suggestion is to go for some vocational training-kind of thing. As this would lead good opportunities in terms of job prospects. If you are interested in health care field, then any health technician or physical therapy program would be beneficial for you. As far as I know there is a lot of scopes for physical therapist in hospitals and rehabilitation centers. The site http://physicaltherapycolleges.org/ would give you details about this career and the job prospects available here. Job opportunities are particularly good in acute hospital, skilled nursing and orthopedic settings. Job prospects are especially favorable in rural areas as many physical therapists tend to cluster in highly populated urban and suburban areas. I hope the above suggestion would be helpful for you in deciding your future plans.

I'm not one of those who believes that you should take great joy or even satisfaction in some menial crap job just because the economy is bad. It's been this way for a long time and it's not quite as bad as it was. My mother, after moving out of state and job searching for 2 years absolutely had to take a cashier job at a crappy grocery store in order to get some money coming in...this is after a 25 year stint in the billing department of a major hospital where she was happy. She is surrounded by dolts, idiots, insane customers, and high school kids who quit after 2 weeks. That's the nature of those types of jobs, maybe not everywhere, but basically they're miserable if you crave bigger and better things, so I get it. I did it too, I put in my time as a deli clerk at a grocery store while in undergrad...I hated every single second of it with a fiery passion for obvious reasons. And I had to suck it up again between the time I got back from the Peace Corps and this past September when I started grad school, I was unemployed for 8 months I had no money, I was in a transitional period, and my parents were tired of me moping around the house, I too was adamant that I would not work "one of those" jobs, but fortunately I ended up at a preschool before I had to go that route, it was ok at first, I made a few friends out of it, but I felt like I was wasting time and grew to hate it for a number of reasons, but at the same time it was money coming in, the pressure was off, and that income helped me make the cross country move out here. Once I knew I was going to grad school it made it that much more tolerable.

The economy is bad..it's this, it's that...it doesn't mean you have to be grateful to stock shelves and be subjected to the wrath and/or lunacy of customers (we all know customers suck). Really, there are some great options out there, yes, it takes much longer to grab one of those options that it ever has before, but they're there and you can put in the effort to get them...if you have the time. If you need money now so you don't go homeless then yes take what you can get and consider it money in your pocket to get to where you're going. It's not as bad when you know in a relatively short time you'll be on to much bigger and much better things. If you can land an internship or research position that's a few months in duration than that's great, but if not, take what you can and be satisfied that you won't have to do it for long. Once you start school those options will be at your fingertips...Just employment wise I've done more in one semester than I've done during my almost 2 year "in between" period...so it will happen for you too.

I apologize for taking so long to reply, I appreciate the advice, all of you. I understand that times are tough, blah blah, but I would rather go homeless than return to working as the lowest peon at a major retail company again. I would be treated with more respect as a hobo than a sales associate at T***** (fill in the blanks). I have worked a variety of jobs that result in similar levels of respect and treatment as well, so I know that other retail and food service positions are no different. I appreciate the pep talk but it simply will not happen, I have swallowed more pride than is healthy for any human being already, but anyways...

I'm unfortunately still looking for a job, but am beginning to explore temp agencies, as I feel they can give me a temporary, but not exhausting (physically and emotionally) environment as an administrative assistant or data entry clerk. Hopefully I find something; I'll keep trying until I do.

Also, I am not really sure how to go about offering a tutoring service, my specialty would be psychology and neuroscience, but not many high school kids really need to know about those subjects. Any advice?

You don't have to justify your reasons here for not taking a particular type of job...that's certainly your choice to make and you shouldn't be judged for it. Just keep pluggin' away at those job applications and don't just submit your resume to a temp agency and wait for them to contact you. What I learned about that kind of thing is that you need to keep at them. Call every week and ask if they have something for you. Showing them that you really want to work is a positive for them and you, don't let them forget about you. I got a temp job because I kept in touch with my recruiter and she sent me on the interview because she said "I sounded great on the phone." She wouldn't have spoken to me on the phone if I hadn't called.

I don't know about the tutoring thing...maybe local libraries? They might want you to volunteer your services though, which might be a good thing to do in the meantime just for the experience and also you never know who you might meet doing that sort of thing. Maybe there's somewhere you can post an ad for your services? A local newsletter/newspaper or online. You might not be tutoring in those specific subjects...more like math and science in general. And there's no reason why you can't tutor younger kids. Maybe you have some neighbors with kids that need help in science/math subjects. I did that for a little while...the kid was cute and I got paid. Anyway, good luck.

I have worked a variety of jobs that result in similar levels of respect and treatment as well, so I know that other retail and food service positions are no different. I appreciate the pep talk but it simply will not happen, I have swallowed more pride than is healthy for any human being already, but anyways...

Seriously? Suck it up. You need a reality check--get a job and stop acting like the world owes you anything. I worked retail and food service throughout college, and then I was able to work a secretarial job through my first Master's degree. You know what job opportunities that left me? Being a secretary and an adjunct professor, working 16+ hour days still living with my parents because even that income didn't pay well enough to move out on my own AND pay back my loans. Take a job for 8 months and be happy with what you have.

I have worked a variety of jobs that result in similar levels of respect and treatment as well, so I know that other retail and food service positions are no different.

Yet people saying they have worked other retail and food service positions and had a great experience don't factor into your judgement? I think the problem is you, not the place you work.

While I am not accepted to any schools for Fall 2012 yet (since its December still) I have been applying to a lot of schools and assuming one of the numerous programs I applied to accepts me, I will be going to graduate school (for psychology if it matters) next fall.

My issue right now is that I am currently unemployed and my savings are running out quicker than I realize. I am desperate for some advice on what to do, my internet searches haven't helped much at all.

I want to get a job, but am aware that it may not be in my best interest to get a "career-type" job since I would be leaving the job this next summer (in like 6 months or so). I also am adamant that I do not go into a minimum wage type job.

I know it may sound conceited, but I am not going to do a demeaning, bottom rung, low pay job, having graduated college (with honors, good grades, a research internship etc...). I have already played that game. I worked as a manual labor stock-boy at Target for about 7 months, where my coworkers were mostly in high school or had no education, and my bosses were younger than me and never attended college. The job was basically hard physical labor, in between getting yelled at by customers.

I really would like to get a research assistant type job, but is this a feasible goal since I would basically only be able to work there for a few months? I don't even care about the pay, I just want a source of income that doesn't involve being on my feet for 8 hours straight and being treated like I'm a moron. If any of you have been in a similar situation or have some advice for me, it would be immensely appreciated!

I can appreciate what you are saying to a point, because it feels like after 4 years of hard work the least we can expect is a decent job, but not in this economy... I know quite a few people who have been knocked down many more rungs than you have my friend. People who used to lounge in the corner office and have higher degrees than a B.A. are now corralling carts at the local grocery. The older generation bitches about our generation's sense of entitlement and I am sad to say this post makes their argument. Just having graduated with honors and having a bachelor's degree does not automatically entitle you to a cushy job somewhere. My advice is do what you have to do to survive and get through grad school. I work as a CNA right now while I apply to grad school. I am pretty much a licensed a** wiper, but I have found some of the most profound moments of meaning and learning in what I do right now, and actually it correlates beautifully to my Human Development major and my goal of mental health counseling in the future. I guess my point is, even if it seems like a worthless job any moron could do, do it to the best of your ability and try to find some positivity in it. You may even find something in it that relates to your future career goals. You list your program as psychology...try analyzing your coworkers, the crazy customers, your bosses. You may not be able to tell them what you think but you will have some killer case studies for school later on. You might even develop some strength of character and begin to realize that those morons you worked with will be surrounding you every day for the rest of your life....it's called the REAL world.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to silicon valley for an internship? My inbox is getting trolled with piles of Silicon Valley/Bay Area interview requests, so it must be pretty easy to snag those jobs/internships.