SSHRC

psyched

It's going to be Monday. We've heard from two different grad studies admin workers that it will be Monday, and they heard it straight from SSHRC. Given that 1. the Vaniers are out, 2. the MAs are out, 3. they told the truth about when the MAs were going to be out, and 4. we're nearly a week into the pay period, I don't see any reason to doubt that the admins and SSHRC were telling the truth about PhD results.

Does anyone know if you have to confirm acceptance of a SSHRC doctoral award by snail mail or can this be done via e-mail?

I've always had to confirm external awards with snail mail. Given SSHRC's apparent trepidation over all things electronic, my bet would remain with letter mail.

I agree that the new pool should regard first contact in whatever form it may arrive.

I've always had to confirm external awards with snail mail. Given SSHRC's apparent trepidation over all things electronic, my bet would remain with letter mail.

I agree that the new pool should regard first contact in whatever form it may arrive.

My experience is different. I have always confirmed acceptance of my grants electronically, including a SSHRC M.A. which I accepted via email (it was almost 2 years ago, but I think my memory is accurate on this point).

To clarify, what are we betting on? The date letters are received? Dated? Mailed? The date we find out from our grad secretary/FGS? I guess just the first date someone hears anything about the doc competition?

Sorry, I thought that was clear when i said 'PhD notifications to grad departments'. What I meant, and I thought you all were saying/betting on, was when you thought SSHRC would tell the universities (so that we could find out from them).

Sorry, I thought that was clear when i said 'PhD notifications to grad departments'. What I meant, and I thought you all were saying/betting on, was when you thought SSHRC would tell the universities (so that we could find out from them).

That's what I assumed, but just wanted to clarify :)

I think it's fair odds to say that as soon as departments are notified, recipients will begin to be notified........so the date that SSHRC notifies the universities will likely be the same day people start hearing from their schools.......I know I don't particularly care when the university gets the results - I just want to know when I will get them!..lol....

How official was that announcement about a second business-related competition for master's students? I haven't seen any announcement anywhere except through this forum. I'd like to be able to pass that information on to a friend if it's true. Does anyone have a link for me? Also, will there be anything like it for doctoral students?

They don't pay your fees with it, they divide it up evenly over 12 months and drop it in your bank account for you to do with as you please.

Might this depend on the University? I had a SSHRC at the University of Toronto (it ended this Jan). Neither SSHRC nor the University took any money for fees. Instead, the university would make a direct deposit in my account three times a year. (Jan, May, Sept). I think these were the dates that SSHRC released its funding.

To find out how your university manages SSHRC funds, contact your program coordinator.

Might this depend on the University? I had a SSHRC at the University of Toronto (it ended this Jan). Neither SSHRC nor the University took any money for fees. Instead, the university would make a direct deposit in my account three times a year. (Jan, May, Sept). I think these were the dates that SSHRC released its funding.

To find out how your university manages SSHRC funds, contact your program coordinator.

Yes, in my experience UofT administers all external awards (SSHRC, OGS, NSERC, CIHR) on this thrice-yearly schedule. Other schools seem to follow the 12-month pattern. Ask around to see what your school does

PAYMENT most definitely depends on school. At Memorial University in NL they add your school top up in to the SSHRC monies, and split the whole thing into 26 even bi-weekly payments. We get paid on the regular university pay schedule.

Apparently they used to just give out the award, many years ago, but I think there is a combination of the students not being responsible with their cash (and then being in dire straights for the rest of the year), and the schools banking the lump sum to earn interest. Would be nice to earn the interest on my own money, but hey, as long as I get some I'll be smiling!! :D

And I say we will hear by Tuesday for doctoral. I pessimistically feel that it will be later, but Tuesday feels right as they will give us that last heart attack on Monday and then hopefully end it.

has anyone NOT received notification about their MA sshrc application? I am still IMPATIENTLY awaiting the results and when I contacted the FGS at my school they refused to give me an info and told me to wait for the letter ...

has anyone NOT received notification about their MA sshrc application? I am still IMPATIENTLY awaiting the results and when I contacted the FGS at my school they refused to give me an info and told me to wait for the letter ...

Wow, you're school officers are jerks...

I just recently found the forum and have been reading posts trying to find out information. I received a phone call from our graduate secretary this morning that I received a Master's SSHRC. Then my supervisor called with a congratulations. It so depends on the school and the department, I think.

Best of luck to those who haven't heard at the Master's level. But, also for the PhD's, I have friends in our department who are waiting to hear if they will be successful or not.

Regards.

I'm in the same boat - waiting impatiently.

As a brief reminder of how moronic this whole process is, I just received my offer of admission this morning... almost a month after I was notified via email. Talk about inefficiency! :roll:

Wow, you're school officers are jerks...

I would keep contacting your school officials. I would pester them significantly. I might even show up in their office. Certainly you should show up in your department office. They know! You should be told. Don't wait. Piss people off! That's what I would do. Good luck!

I would keep contacting your school officials. I would pester them significantly. I might even show up in their office. Certainly you should show up in your department office. They know! You should be told. Don't wait. Piss people off! That's what I would do. Good luck!

Yes, I agree they are jerks. I'm starting to think maybe they won't tell me because I DIDN'T get it? I'm also nervous because according to the stats someone posted only 22 out of 24 of the A-list applications at my school got an award.

I really need to know because I am leaving for an overseas internship next week and need to tell my employer if I'm going to be coming back in September! (Not that SSHRC or my university cares about my concern :x .)

I registered just so I could respond to this. I'm having a similar experience: waiting for the (MA) SSHRC letter when I've heard its out, while also leaving the country for 3 months next Monday. I'm going to try to contact the awards officer at my school and see what they can tell me. Hopefully they have an idea as to when the letters should arrive at the latest.

scottv1, I would recommend you do what I am planning to do-- leave a postage paid envelope for somebody and giving them a key to my mailbox. Hopefully you'll have a stable location where you can receive mail.

I was talking to my supervisor yesterday about the delay in the notices and he entertained me (sort of) with quite the rant about how the lateness isn't just messing with students but screwing with departments who are still waiting to finalize numbers of students and funding packages for next year. He was also pretty frustrated with the fact that they haven't said ANYTHING about the delays to applicants.

Firstly, Congrats to all you successful MA applicants!! (and here's fingers crossed for us PhD apps).

If I was in the shoes of the MA students whose grad studies office won;t tell them, I would certainly march directly down to their office and (politely) ask to be notified. Perhaps explain to them that you have friends at other schools whose grad studies department have access to the results through a secure website or whatever, so you assume that your school does too (and, if not, ask why not--they'll get them for you). Explain your situation with leaving town. Tell them its fine if you didn;t get one, but you would really like to know regardless and you won't be upset even if not--tell them it'll be a relief. Keep in mind that you pay tuition to the school, and the school should reasonably serve you. Unfortunately, it seems that the Grad Studies offices seem to forget their obligations to students sometimes. Feel obliged to remind them.

I have been lurking on this board for a while so I knew the MA results were out yesterday. So, I emailed and called the external awards officer today. In response to my email, I was told to check with the grad administrator at my department but in response to my phone message I got a response and I was told that I got Sshrc!! The woman on the phone gave the impression that most students will be notified by the letter from sshrc and not from the university, so no news so far is not bad news, but I definitely recommend pestering them a bit.