OGS Status Update Anyone?

tomj

Hey Everyone! I got a bit annoyed at the fact that there were no updates on the OSAP website re: my OGS application, so I finally called them up. They said that the updated information will be available mid-February. That's all they know.

Feb 13, 2012 In Competition

Congratulations! Your complete and approved OGS Application Package for 2012-2013 has been included in the competition.

A panel of 3 university professors will be adjudicating OGS applications and we expect that the results will be available early to mid April 2012. Please check back at that time.

I got the good message too! At 10:06 p.m. last night! Sheesh, late enough to ensure that I went to bed before seeing the message and sulked covetously!

Good luck to all of us!

Just out of curiosity, since I'm already going to get a stipend from UofT for $25k per year, would this be on top of that?

Unfortunately, hall1k, your stipend will likely take a hit if you are awarded an OGS. The award is comprised of two-thirds government money, and one third funding from the institution at which the award is held. As U of T will be obliged to shell out money for the OGS, they will likely re-negotiate/ding your purposed stipend to even it out on their end. In my experience, colleagues who have held an OGS see their acceptance funding package reduced by about 5K; considering that OGS is paid out at a rate of 5K a term for up to 3 terms (for a total of 15K), it would make sense that the institution paying a third of the award (or, 5K) would scale back their initial funding offer by that same amount. The ONLY exception to this, that I've heard of, is U of Ottawa, where apparently you can stack your funding. If anyone has had a different experience/understanding, feel free to speak up!

Congrats on the U of T acceptance, and so early in the season!

*Covets*

Also, congrats/good luck prspective OGS-ers! Hurry up and wait!

It's the government after all. Is anyone really surprised?

Just out of curiosity, since I'm already going to get a stipend from UofT for $25k per year, would this be on top of that?

I think each university is different, so I can only speak for myself... my university reduces the amount of internal funding you get if you are awarded OGS or SSHRC. I'm not sure about UofT, but I can imagine that they'll probably do something similar.

Does anyone know the likelihood of received OGS when you application is "In competition". I asked a similar question for SSHRC, and someone replied with some information, hoping for the same here.

Having been through this process several times now, can I suggest that you (and others playing the guessing game) spare yourself a lot of anxiety and not try to figure out the odds of receiving these scholarships or when the results will be announced. I know it's hard, but, as much as you can, just put it out of your mind. They will be announced when they are announced, and you will receive it or you won't. Thinking about it constantly will not change anything except your stress and anxiety levels. Oh, and expect all results to be late. They often are. But if they happen to be on time, you will be pleasantly surprised, rather than refreshing GradCafe every 2 minutes for the entire month of April and possibly May.

Having been through this process several times now, can I suggest that you (and others playing the guessing game) spare yourself a lot of anxiety and not try to figure out the odds of receiving these scholarships or when the results will be announced. I know it's hard, but, as much as you can, just put it out of your mind. They will be announced when they are announced, and you will receive it or you won't. Thinking about it constantly will not change anything except your stress and anxiety levels. Oh, and expect all results to be late. They often are. But if they happen to be on time, you will be pleasantly surprised, rather than refreshing GradCafe every 2 minutes for the entire month of April and possibly May.

Thanks for the reply, I am more or less trying to figure out how many applications, on average make it to OGS, and how many scholarships are awarded. Does anyone know a place where such information exists?

It's the government after all. Is anyone really surprised?

I'm a current U of T grad student who received NSERC for this year. My funding package was reduced, and the funding amounts were very clearly spelled out in the acceptance e-mail I got:

"The minimum amounts for the upcoming academic year 2011-12 are: $15,000 plus (domestic or international) tuition and fees per 12-month-year. Domestic students who have major external scholarships, such as NSERC, OGS, OGSST, etc., will receive $12,000/year supplements, bringing their total support well above the minimum level."

So instead of receiving $15,000 plus tuition (a $23,000 value) I received $12,000 and had to pay tuition.

I received this email 3 days ago:

ogswebmaster@ontario.ca

Feb 13 (3 days ago)

cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif

Congratulations! Your complete and approved OGS Application Package for 2012-2013 has been included in the competition.

A panel of 3 university professors will be adjudicating OGS applications and we expect that the results will be available early to mid April 2012. Please check back at that time.

Thanks for the reply, I am more or less trying to figure out how many applications, on average make it to OGS, and how many scholarships are awarded. Does anyone know a place where such information exists?

I was told that out of 3000 accepted applicants, 1100 recieved OGS.

Does anyone know whether all OGS applications are passed on by a school? From my understanding all your current school does is ensure that your application is complete. Apparently they ranked applicants in the past, but they no longer do this. Is this correct?

I received the same 'Congratulations!' email as others have posted & my status has changed to the same message. They may take longer to send out the emails asereht? Can't wait to see if the mid-April deadline posted is accurate!